Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2020, 05:53 PM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko_complex24 View Post
About a new type of white flight related to this phenomenon?
Yes. The academic competition at certain high-performing high schools can be intense, and some white parents have decided that they don't want that kind of pressure-cooker environment for their kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2020, 05:55 PM

3,307 posts, read 1,218,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Yes. The academic competition at certain high-performing high schools can be intense, and some white parents have decided that they don't want that kind of pressure-cooker environment for their kids.
This is different from white flight. Are they moving out of the area when Asians move in? I guess if we are applying white flight to schools, then yes. I've never heard the term white flight applied in that manner.

Old 07-28-2020, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Ridiculous. Asians have moved into my community BECAUSE the schools were competitive and white people don't seem to have a problem with that.
The great thing is your anecdote has as much credibility as the OP's article.

Old 07-28-2020, 05:58 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,208,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingOutsideTheBox View Post
How do we stop whites from fleeing these neighborhoods described in the article below and what can be done to reduce this Asian-White gap in achievement?
Why is it a problem that needs to be solved?

Old 07-28-2020, 06:05 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,961,729 times
Yes, why is this a problem that needs to be solved?

My community was majority european descendants when my kids started elementary school, and is now significantly Asian and Indian.

And yes, the European descendants are moving out into other communities.

While Texas has the top 10% automatic admission to college in the state, european descendants aren't competing grade wise, although they are competing in other ways, and tend to make great employees, who grow into corporate leaders, when the skill required isn't to read through a rubric and regurgitate all the information the teacher has provided.

So it works out. B students rule the business world.

Old 07-28-2020, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Yes, why is this a problem that needs to be solved?

My community was majority european descendants when my kids started elementary school, and is now significantly Asian and Indian.

And yes, the European descendants are moving out into other communities.

While Texas has the top 10% automatic admission to college in the state, european descendants aren't competing grade wise, although they are competing in other ways, and tend to make great employees, who grow into corporate leaders, when the skill required isn't to read through a rubric and regurgitate all the information the teacher has provided.

So it works out. B students rule the business world.
Is this a common stereotype about Asians? That they just regurgitate information provided to them by the teacher?

Old 07-28-2020, 06:14 PM

Quote:
This is different from white flight. Are they moving out of the area when Asians move in? I guess if we are applying white flight to schools, then yes. I've never heard the term white flight applied in that manner.
How is this different? Which public school you attend is usually based on where you live. So if you want to leave a certain school, you have to move out of its attendance zone.

Quote:
Is this a common stereotype about Asians? That they just regurgitate information provided to them by the teacher?
Yes, it is (a common stereotype). Rather unfortunate for the Asians out there who are creative or who are good at critical thinking.

Old 07-28-2020, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
How is this different? Which public school you attend is usually based on where you live. So if you want to leave a certain school, you have to move out of its attendance zone.

Yes, it is (a common stereotype). Rather unfortunate for the Asians out there who are creative or who are good at critical thinking.
Not unless they create a magnet school or some other school that requires a lottery system. Private schools as well. I haven't seen any evidence for this trend.

Gotcha, well it's probably not a good stereotype to perpetuate. Actually, I do recall hearing it in debates with white nationalists that I've heard on YouTube. They will admit that Asians have a higher IQ, but they are not as creative as whites. People can think what they want to think though.

Old 07-28-2020, 06:20 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,961,729 times
Quote:
Maybe I've said all I really intend to say. Stereotypes are just that - something you see commonly enough to keep reinforcing the impression, but maybe it's not fair to paint a whole community with one brush.

Old 07-28-2020, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Not unless they create a magnet school or some other school that requires a lottery system. Private schools as well. I haven't seen any evidence for this trend.

Gotcha, well it's probably not a good stereotype to perpetuate. People can think what they want to think though.
I've seen evidence for it in my very own household. There is a high school in my county that is well known for (1) being hyper-competitive, academically, and (2) being heavily populated by Asians. I would not move into its attendance zone; not because I dislike Asians, but because I think that my kids would flounder in such a competitive environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies