Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2020, 08:32 AM

14,226 posts, read 4,592,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
Graffiti and garbage. That's the worst you got? Where are all the communists trying to overthrow the government?
It's hard to overthrow the government when you have armed federal agents protect the building and fences surround the building.

I guess what you are trying to imply is the feds agents have the justification to be there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2020, 08:35 AM

5,209 posts, read 1,796,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
Someone here had a good suggestion: go to the Portland forum on CD and see what residents say. So I read this thread that started with

Portlanders, is it really as bad as the media portrays?

Here are some responses:

"It's just one or two blocks around the Federal building at night. Which is an area where there aren't many shops or restaurants anyway. The rest of the city is just normal."

"Went to Portland yesterday, looked like an average day in the city, looked at some guitars and walked along the waterfront, got a bite to eat and drove home. Media isn't interested in anything that isn't in the realm of sensationalism."

"No, Portland is not that bad. It's pretty safe and depending on where you live, you won't get any hints to rioting. I live only a mile from downtown and 1.5 miles or so from the waterfront. Unless I see the news, I never have an inkling of what is going on. I can say though, that downtown is a **** show. Not because of rioters, but because of the homeless"

"You don't live in Portland and probably have never been to Portland, so how can you judge the safety of the city? Yes, there have been demonstrations and riots, but it really doesn't affect the average person."
Okay.....but so? One or two blocks around a federal building that is under siege from mortar attacks, hammers, arson...not to mention these people are shining lasers in the eyes of other human beings to blind them. That's really bad!

What do you suppose these people wish to do with the courthouse, should they breach it, like they are trying? Take it over? Burn it down? Another 'autonomous zone?' But it's all good because people two neighborhoods over are enjoying their day?

I fully understand that in other parts of Portland, life is going on as normal. Two things can be true at the same time: there is an absolute disaster happening in one area, but not in others. The significance and magnitude of that disaster over-rides the fact that many people are unconcerned or unaffected, thus the media coverage.

These comments are a very dangerous style of ethical reasoning: "I don't see it, so it's not a problem. My life is just fine, so I won't bother to care." Shall we apply that to other things? How about racism: "I don't see any racism, so why should I bother to care. It's all fine in my five block radius." NO!!!! Things are still a problem even if they don't immediately affect you.

Last edited by kmom2; 07-29-2020 at 08:48 AM..

Old 07-29-2020, 08:35 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,212,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
I don't think that Greywar or any of the straight-thinkers on this forum, expected you or your fellow travelers to like what he has reported about Portland. The whole thing there was set up by Trump and his minions, to try to gain some points with his base of supporters. As was pointed out, incidents like this in blue cities were planned by them, far in advance of the virus epidemic. It's nothing more than a last-ditch attempt to salvage his failing campaign. I'm afraid that we will be seeing even worse violations of justice by them, as their Waterloo grows closer.
hmmm, more talk of this long-ago plan. Surely, there's a link to it

Old 07-29-2020, 08:38 AM

8,105 posts, read 6,751,676 times
Americans, don’t believe your lying eyes.....

Old 07-29-2020, 08:39 AM

2,240 posts, read 1,386,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Genuine protesters should go home at sundown, so they can quit being cover for violent antifa and anarchists. Protesters won't be in the crossfire either.
That is an excellent idea!

Old 07-29-2020, 08:39 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
OK. Over and over I see people here comment on Portland. And its quite clear they are eating up propaganda that doesn't represent the reality on the ground. I live in a nearby city, and spend most weekends at a place in Portland. Trump and Barr are trying to validate the use of force against people who express their views as allowed by the first amendment.

{SNIP}
The same Democrats that are keeping the States closed and locked down to destroy the economy, are the same democrats letting the riots destroy their cities.

All to convince you that Trump is destroying the country.

Old 07-29-2020, 08:45 AM

322 posts, read 244,497 times
It's all pretty simple. Stay away from the Federal Courthouse the Fed's are protecting. Easy as that. But instead, rioters go there to instigate. But common sense is lost on the Left.

Old 07-29-2020, 08:47 AM

2,657 posts, read 1,375,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
If you drive through downtown Portland, you probably don't know there's been rioting and protests. But try driving at night.

Anyway, that's way I would never live in a big city. The crowding and disorder with far too many unhappy people living their lives in utter misery and hatred. No doubt America is being consumed by hatred.
You have a view of our cities which is utterly dystopian.

Old 07-29-2020, 08:48 AM

25,569 posts, read 17,281,298 times
The majority of protestors are certainly peaceful.
But that's not the point. The point is, there is nothing to protest. They should all go home.
Most cities won't put up with this nonsense.

Old 07-29-2020, 08:50 AM

2,657 posts, read 1,375,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The same Democrats that are keeping the States closed and locked down to destroy the economy, are the same democrats letting the riots destroy their cities.

All to convince you that Trump is destroying the country.
Democrats are behind the virus lock downs for political gain? Why do I keep hearing this from people on the right? Don't they realize this is global, or do they just not think of that? How would an American political party get natiins throughout the world to institute lockdowns etc for its own political gain?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies