Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2020, 09:05 AM

17,214 posts, read 12,099,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralZone View Post
I don’t remember the civil rights protests of the 1960’s being violent. MLK and the other civil rights leaders used non violence.

The other difference is this current “protest” downtown isn’t really about civil rights or even racism. It’s mostly Antifa, anarchists, and assorted malcontents and wannabes. Don’t try to pretend these are noble people fighting for a just cause.
So you completely forget race riots of the era? Or just never learned about them? It was certainly not entirely peaceful. Took years for that message and leadership to develop. MLK was hated and blamed for violent rioters as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2020, 09:30 AM

5,067 posts, read 1,657,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
you mean a tear gas free, party? And where crowd self policed issues that occurred?

No, I mean the vandalism of federal property and the attacks on law enforcement with laser lights causing blindness.

Your "peaceful protests" ship has sailed, that lie is well documented.

Old 07-31-2020, 09:46 AM

23,185 posts, read 12,303,428 times
Where did you get the word "makes" in your link title? The linked story does not say that, so it is your own spin.

Did Duncomb "make" the convicted pedophile stab him when he saved the street preacher from being beaten? Which is when the pedo started to follow him.

Did Duncomb "make" the convicted pedophile stab him when he put his arm around him? Lots of people in those crowds put their hands/arms on their fellow rioters and they don't get stabbed for it.

Did Duncomb "make" the convicted pedophile stab him when he asked why he was following him? Gee, ask simple question and that's worth being stabbed over. yikes.

Old 07-31-2020, 09:49 AM

19,619 posts, read 22,496,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Lol typical liberal trying to excuse the lefts violence.
Far more people are killed by right wing extremists than by what's going with the current protests.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right-wing_terrorism

48 murdered by my count since 2016 alone. Where's the federal response to these hate groups that foment these heinous acts?

The right wing holds no moral ground. Have fun with that.

Old 07-31-2020, 09:53 AM

443 posts, read 166,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
OK. Over and over I see people here comment on Portland. And its quite clear they are eating up propaganda that doesn't represent the reality on the ground. I live in a nearby city, and spend most weekends at a place in Portland. Trump and Barr are trying to validate the use of force against people who express their views as allowed by the first amendment.

1. The VAST majority of people present are non violent protesters. They are exercising their first amendment rights. The actions of those who are violent have been used to justify a obscene amount of brutality. Right wing folks like to zoom in on the violent people, while ignoring the vast majority of folks peacefully protesting. Locals keep pointing out just how tiny of a area this is occurring at. The VAST majority of whats occurring happens in a truly tiny area of the city. No Portland is not burning down. No buildings have been destroyed. But for over a month our own police used a LRAD on people. They deployed a LOT of tear gas. Courts finally had to order them to stop targeting legal observers, and news reporters. The city ordered them to stop using tear gas, and to not use the LRAD in a offensive mode. Believe it or not when they stopped doing these things, the protests went down.

2. So when the DHS deployed these folks, there is a couple things I want folks to keep in mind. This operation was planned before the pandemic occurred AS PER Bill Barr today. How do they justify it? Well they claimed over a dozen acts of graffiti, and about $5,000 dollars in damages to federal property. What was the excuse going to be back before Covid I wonder? The deployment of these agents over the period of time claimed will cost 6 million dollars. At the time the feds were deployed, the crowd sizes were under 200 people. Literally thousands of people are now out there. Theres over a dozen different lawsuits now going on about all of this. And the federal agents have injured a ton of people. The vast majority of which, and let me stress this, are trying to exercise their first amendment rights.

3. Portland does not want them here. No one has asked them to be here. And they've caused this to go from a couple hundred people peacefully protesting...to thousands protesting, and a increasingly escalating situation. The amount of damages done by these troops to people, and to our democracy is simply insane. As a "creating law and order" attempt it has done the opposite.

4. Theres been a ton of folks talking about the tens of millions in damages done here by protestors. Thats from a report where 26 million in damages is discussed...its a report however that thats about damages that include economic damages from Covid. Its not even remotely connected to reality. There IS damage, dont get me wrong. But its almost all within the tiny area, and is far far far less then people are claiming.

5. So like the local police the federal agents immediately started targeting medical assistance personnel who unlike the federal agents are VERY clearly marked (many of whom work at the hospitals these folks would be sent to if injured during their normal day jobs), observers who are also very clearly marked, and clearly marked reporters. They're taking a ton of pain.

6. the federal agents have hit multiple people in the face with less then lethal weapons. This is absolutely not what you are supposed to do. And people have been incredibly badly hurt. So far it appears that the folks hit in the face were all peaceful protestors exercising their right to protest.

7. People have been grabbed by military dressed personnel, and shoved into a vehicle that was unmarked. Now its apparent that if people grab you like this, shoving you into a unmarked vehicle dressed as military, and place you in a locked room you cannot leave, that you are under arrest. Thats a requirement in order to lock someone in like this. When the person asked for her attorney the feds let her go. no charges. This is illegal. You cannot arrest someone without probable cause. Their excuse was she was standing near someone they observed using a laser. They can go arrest that person, you cannot arrest those near them unless they have done something. Thats not alleged by the DHS. They claim they are pre-emptively arresting people. Also illegal.

8. Oregon has sued to stop the feds. Some with success-they were recently told that just like the Portland police they could no longer target news people, or observers. They have repeatedly done so, and now are going to have to go back to court once again. Ignoring the law. Again, just like in so many of these other points. They are operating in a unlawful manner. But the only major loss so far was Oregon being told by a judge that they did not have standing.....to sue to protect their citizens. Yeah. Think about that. So yesterday multiple victims of this behavior sued the feds with the help of the ACLU.

9. So whats it like now? Well with the police escalating things people began trying to protect themselves. But when the feds arrived they turned that tiny area of Portland into utter mess.

10. The actions by the federal government are both brutalizing, and unlawful. Ignoring people first amendment rights damages our country very fabric. Yes, its being done to those you may or may not like. But remember this, defending peoples rights means that you also need to defend it for those you disagree with, or you will eventually try to exercise those rights, and find that they are no longer there. If allowed to stand, we will eventually fail as a Democracy. If a president did something like just taking peoples guns and dealing with the justification later (which is something Trump has stated in the past) you too might want to protest. And the local anarchists could get you tear gassed and shot with non lethal...by simply showing up and being a little violent. you know...like apparently graffiti.

11. Last night "someone" pointed out a bag to Portland police. they posted the contents on their twitter feed. 2 canning jars with no liquid in them, but rags sticking out the top. Problem? Canning jars are about the worst way to do this, you very likely wont break them. and for them to be at all operative they probably should have added a liquid to them. More importantly though? There were clips from a rifle in the bag, they had red paint on them to make them look more grungy. Problem? The paint was still wet. It dripped on the plastic they set it on. Second problem? No one at the protest has been seen with a rifle that would take that clip other then the feds, and Portland police. AND...oddly enough protestors DID use paint.....on a Fed. Oddly it appears to be the exact same color of paint that can be seen in photos on a federal agent.

The bottom line? You're being fed a line of nonsense. Portland hasn't burned any buildings down-the closest we get I think is a flare used that caused minor damage to the police association. And no, the fireworks used are not going to light the concrete building on fire. 90% of those showing up to protest these days are there because of the actions of the federal government. The area where this occurred is only a few blocks in size. The vast majority of the damage currently being done is caused by the federal government, and is mostly medical bills of those they shoot less lethals at, broken bones, and other injuries. There are some common sense questions you should ask yourself. Is it right to remove others right to protest due to a few peoples actions? Would you call this a success knowing that the cost of the federal deployment is in the millions...over 5K in damages. And that its turned a 200 people or less protest area into a thousands of people protesting. And if these thousands of people were rioting, how long would those 114 people the feds deployed actually survive without using weapons?

This is not the type of thing our government should be doing. In actual Democracies they should not be done. And the propaganda out there about a city Ive lived in for years before moving to a adjacent city amazes me. I know many of you believe that Portland has burned buildings down. That the protests are full of rioters. That the police are hurting people doing bad things. They arent. They're hurting people trying to protest, they're hurting complete innocents. The damage done by them is beyond what the civilian criminals have done. BTW The folks rioting or being violent? They deserve to be in jail. But so do the other side of this. The federal agents are acting in a unlawful manner. And if you cheer it on it may become the new normal. Meaning that our right to protest will simply be gone.
YAWN. I didn’t read any of that non-sense. Based on your previous posts, I know it’s probably something stupid. STOP defending them. STOP.

Old 07-31-2020, 10:02 AM

25,119 posts, read 16,146,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
We had about 50 days of riots every night in Portland, before the federal law enforcement were sent there. It's like accusing the police of only exacerbating things, when they arrest a serial murderer
to be accurate, the protests including riotous illegal activity went from ~ May 28 until June 26, when Trump announced the "Statue law" would be enforced. July 1 is when the FLEO are noted as taking a presence and the first night thy used pepper balls against the lawbreakers. Activity ramped up on July 4, when rioters shot fireworks at the officers and I believe that's the night thy set fire inside the municipal building.

It's semantics, sure, but it's more like 35 - 40 days.

Old 07-31-2020, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
There are some causes I would die for, yes. Including defending this country or an innocent life. I think the protests are ultimately futile and with covid out there I'm not joining them. I am certainly voting and writing my reps though.

But I absolutely believe in the first amendment right of those who do. And I absolutely will not judge a peaceful protester as aiding rioters simply for exercising their own rights. That is entirely on the rioters alone. It is up to the police to find a way to arrest the rioters without impacting the protesters. They have tactics for this. If you're at the back of a crowd of thousands do you even know what a couple dozen are doing up front? Should you be tear gassed for it?

No, stand your ground laws apply to being out in public. Versus duty to retreat laws that mean if you can escape you must attempt to do so first.
If only someone at the back of the crowd had been affected by a teargas canister launched within 10 feet of them by the Feds, or physically struck back there by a pepperball.

I would agree with you that the FLEO should be doing a better job of separating protestor from rioter. What I don't think you understand is - without PPB assisting in arrests, then they need 10x the force. They are making maybe 5 arrests/night on average. In order to get even just 100, then they need about 10 officers per arrest. That's 2-3 per suspect, and then the others to hold off those who interfere and arrest them too. Lather, rinse and repeat. In addition, you need probably 20 inside the crowd identifying lawbreakers to the arresting officers. It's not like they come to the front and stand alone to launch their fireworks.

Old 07-31-2020, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
This man was peacefully protesting and the feds agents shot him 6 times with beanbags

https://www.facebook.com/19072001959...6/?d=null&vh=e
assuming the accuracy of he's the guy that's on the other side of the fence, and fanning the flames of the fire, then that's awesome.

Old 07-31-2020, 10:30 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,567,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNam3 View Post
YAWN. I didn’t read any of that non-sense. Based on your previous posts, I know it’s probably something stupid. STOP defending them. STOP.
So you believe that protesters should be shot dead as what happened decades ago at Kent State?

Old 07-31-2020, 11:14 AM

17,214 posts, read 12,099,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
If only someone at the back of the crowd had been affected by a teargas canister launched within 10 feet of them by the Feds, or physically struck back there by a pepperball.

I would agree with you that the FLEO should be doing a better job of separating protestor from rioter. What I don't think you understand is - without PPB assisting in arrests, then they need 10x the force. They are making maybe 5 arrests/night on average. In order to get even just 100, then they need about 10 officers per arrest. That's 2-3 per suspect, and then the others to hold off those who interfere and arrest them too. Lather, rinse and repeat. In addition, you need probably 20 inside the crowd identifying lawbreakers to the arresting officers. It's not like they come to the front and stand alone to launch their fireworks.
Does difficulty matter? We accept that our rights create imperfect situations that are a cost of having said rights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies