Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2020, 03:43 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
https://nypost.com/2020/08/03/portla...amid-protests/

In case it hasn't already been posted in the previous 50 pages, here is reality in Portland:

"Portland recorded 15 murders in July — the most homicides in one month in more than three decades, according to a new report.

The spate in killings comes as the city winds down from more than two months of nightly protests, which often turned violent as protesters clashed with police.

So far this year, the West Coast city has seen 24 murders — the most recent on Tuesday night, when a 34-year-old woman was fatally stabbed after attending a vigil for another homicide victim, the Oregonian reported...."
That is unfortunate but I don't see how it would be caused by protests. The article I read states that the Chief thinks part of the reason for the large number of homicides is the loss of the gun violence reduction team. I don't know how that team could prevent homicides they almost always involve people who know each other and frequently occur in a home or a vehicle, so having a bunch of cops driving around doesn't usually reduce the number of homicides, although they probably could have investigated them and gotten some serial offenders off the street. https://www.oregonlive.com/crime/202...e-decades.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2020, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
I asked you if you had audio. I've said I didn't have any audio. You asked what might he have said. I keep repeating he should have just been arrested for failure to disperse, and I'm glad they're investigating it.

I like your location, and glad you keep it. It reminds me what you're actually trying to do.
I was responding to YOUR post in which you said:

Quote:
"**** you, you'll have to beat me to leave."
"Come one foot closer to me and I'll kick your ass.", or perhaps better "If you stormtroopers don't leave in 10 seconds, I will come kick your ass." Your choice.
plenty of things.
Remember that now? I asked you what exactly he said and you posted that. I never read anything about ho you don't have audio, it certainly wasn't in that post, was it? I don't read all of your posts, just like I'm sure you don't read all of mine.

The truth is the guy walked out to ask the agents a question and got beaten and pepper sprayed. As a result his arm is fractured and his hand is injured. I have no idea why you would have speculated about what he might have said except that you seem to be unable to bring yourself to admit that the agents who did that were wrong and should face criminal charges and that says more about you than I ever wanted to know.

Old 08-03-2020, 08:31 PM
bu2

24,097 posts, read 14,879,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
That is unfortunate but I don't see how it would be caused by protests. The article I read states that the Chief thinks part of the reason for the large number of homicides is the loss of the gun violence reduction team. I don't know how that team could prevent homicides they almost always involve people who know each other and frequently occur in a home or a vehicle, so having a bunch of cops driving around doesn't usually reduce the number of homicides, although they probably could have investigated them and gotten some serial offenders off the street. https://www.oregonlive.com/crime/202...e-decades.html
It has increased because of the lack of enforcement of laws by the Portland authorities. They have allowed rioters rampant leeway (calling them protests is misleading-some places did have "protests"). They have refused to back the police and reduced funding. Its a direct result of the way Portland authorities have treated the rioters.

Old 08-03-2020, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
It has increased because of the lack of enforcement of laws by the Portland authorities. They have allowed rioters rampant leeway (calling them protests is misleading-some places did have "protests"). They have refused to back the police and reduced funding. Its a direct result of the way Portland authorities have treated the rioters.
How many homicides do you think are 'preventable'? It's not like a burglary where an alarm sounds in dispatch and cops can rush to the scene and catch the thief. In a homicide a person is killed and the suspect flees. Certainly you need cops to try to interview witnesses, and ID the suspect, but you can't prevent homicides any more than you can prevent domestic violence, think about it...

Old 08-03-2020, 09:04 PM

1,742 posts, read 959,071 times
Quote:
The message given by the political leadership in Portland, and in many Democratic controlled cities and states is-the police are bad, the oppressed are good. If you belong to any kind of "oppressed" group, you have carte blanche to do almost anything you want. How can they fail to see the result of the political decisions they make? It's inevitable that crime will increase under such leadership. But progressives have a tendency to bend reality to fit their ideology, rather than the other way around.

Old 08-03-2020, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralZone View Post
The message given by the political leadership in Portland, and in many Democratic controlled cities and states is-the police are bad, the oppressed are good. If you belong to any kind of "oppressed" group, you have carte blanche to do almost anything you want. How can they fail to see the result of the political decisions they make? It's inevitable that crime will increase under such leadership. But progressives have a tendency to bend reality to fit their ideology, rather than the other way around.
People don't commit murder for any of those nonsense reasons you just listed, it just doesn't happen like that. And please stop the attack on progressives, that's getting really old; there is no 'hive mentality' you are claiming that anyone who you think fit in the category of "progressive" think police are bad and support lawlessness and nothing could be further from the truth.

Old 08-03-2020, 09:46 PM

3,329 posts, read 2,136,915 times
Quote:
People don't commit murder for any of those nonsense reasons you just listed, it just doesn't happen like that. And please stop the attack on progressives, that's getting really old; there is no 'hive mentality' you are claiming that anyone who you think fit in the category of "progressive" think police are bad and support lawlessness and nothing could be further from the truth.

There's certainly hive mentalities afoot, and while not unique to the far-left (I won't call them progressives because the contemporary variety often bears no resemblance to their classical liberal counterparts), that particular wing of the left is objectively the most dangerous to the long-term continuity of the United States.

Old 08-05-2020, 10:08 AM

510 posts, read 716,595 times
Uh, yes, when you are a local there are a lot of details you know that others don't. Local news casts, newspapers, word of mouth and all that. So, we have someone who is actually there, knows the situation (and of course no one is non-biased; they have their own point of view) and posters STILL say it's all bull****? That is a whole lot of denial.

Too bad more people didn't listen to the residents of New York City when they told us many accounts of the businesses shortchanged and people screwed over by DJT.

Old 08-05-2020, 01:56 PM

5 posts, read 4,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhwtm View Post
So, we have someone who is actually there, knows the situation (and of course no one is non-biased; they have their own point of view) and posters STILL say it's all bull****? That is a whole lot of denial.
These kind of people don't listen to experts because it doesn't support their worldview, are you surprised they won't listen to people who are actually there? I see this all the time.

A friend of mine recently posted how the media's narrative media is mostly BS and he knew as much because he lives right next to the protest areas and has observed the protests firsthand. A friend of a friend first responded with the ever intelligent generic insults against leftists, then asked repeatedly if this person ever bothered to watch the news or read the newspaper. When my friend responded that he actually lived there, had seen it with his own eyes, and didn't have to read the newspaper to know what was going on, this stunning genius again responded with generic insults about progressives. Just like with this thread, it wasn't started with any comments about political orientation, but the geniuses who are quick to deny the truth of his words were just as quick to make it political.

It's easy to disregard things you don't like if you just pretend those who are saying them aren't worth listening to. Big brain material there.

Old 08-05-2020, 02:06 PM

11,780 posts, read 5,792,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhwtm View Post
Uh, yes, when you are a local there are a lot of details you know that others don't. Local news casts, newspapers, word of mouth and all that. So, we have someone who is actually there, knows the situation (and of course no one is non-biased; they have their own point of view) and posters STILL say it's all bull****? That is a whole lot of denial.

Too bad more people didn't listen to the residents of New York City when they told us many accounts of the businesses shortchanged and people screwed over by DJT.
This poster is extreme liberal and lives in the town over - so he says. There have been posters here who actually live in Portland and refute his claims - or take a walk over to hte Oregon board and read what the posters there have to say about their beloved city.

I just watched a video now of how many are fleeing the area. It's very easy to tell when you look at something as simple as u-haul rentals. The one way fees are astronomical as Uhaul has no way of getting these back once they reach their destination. Do a reverse search and the prices come down by hundreds of dollars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies