Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2020, 11:33 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snerk View Post
If you're an adult and asking this question, it's way too late for you. You're a lost cause.
hear hear

and chagrined I missed the "don't produce anything" BS since I made the wrong leap of understanding that he meant unemployed poor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2020, 11:34 AM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Please explain to me why anybody should have sympathy for the poor:

1. They don’t pay taxes but take in all the benefits.
Actually even the poorest pay 14% in taxes. The 7% for their side of the social security, and the 7% that the company pays on their behalf. Allso theres no escaping car registrations, and even essentially property taxes. After all in the end their rent covers that. They also pay sales tax, and gas taxes. All told their tax burden is probably a higher % then the top 1% if we look at all the taxes they pay.
Quote:

2. They commit most of violent crimes including murder by number and by ratio.
Shocking. People without money or much hope commit crimes. Who knew? Theres also some environmental things to consider. I know, this is going to sound weird...but you know what one of the major drivers for crime reduction was 30 years ago? Removing lead from gasoline. Something the poorer folks were exposed to far more then richer folks. Turns out not living next to a road helps.

Quote:

3. They don’t produce anything.
BWahahahhahaha. Uhmm...poor folks produce pretty much 90% of everything. If you're talking about the destitute, much of the rest of your argument is not correct.

Quote:
4. They have the highest single motherhood rate.
Gosh, who knew that not having sufficient money is a massive stress on familes.

Quote:
5. They don’t take care of their children.
LOL. neither do the rich generally. But the vast majority of them DO take care of their kids. They struggle more because often both parents have to work.

Quote:
6. They have the highest alcohol and drug abuse by number and by ratio.
Gosh, if only they could hire lawyers to avoid charges, or have powerful family that can make DUI's go away like Gaetz does for example. Or have the money to go to rehab. Or even have enough hope that things will get better that they dont turn to this.

Quote:
7. They don’t care about education.
LOL. They can't afford education.

Quote:
I understand #1 as they are poor and don’t have money, but the rest points are inexcusable for being poor.
Whats inexcusable is people thinking that people want to be poor. Know whose poor? The guy working at the chicken farm for near minimum wage. The guy chopping up those chickens. All the drivers moving that chicken around, the grocery clerk that sold it to you, and probably a dozen other folks along the way. And you sit and eat that and think "gosh those poor people do nothing"

Old 07-29-2020, 11:34 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
First, do you believe in God?

Second, you are providing some potentially accurate statements, but also some sweeping generalities - they don't take care of their children or care about education? All of them?
They take care of their children? Shocking! Why would they have children they can’t afford? How is that taking care of their children?

Old 07-29-2020, 11:35 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,265,634 times
Bible says to have sympathy for the poor and that's enough for me, but not all poor are the same, that's for darn sure. You've got "poor" people in this country with big screen TV's. Think about that one. I give to the food bank and let God sort out the rest of it.

Old 07-29-2020, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Actually even the poorest pay 14% in taxes. The 7% for their side of the social security, and the 7% that the company pays on their behalf. Allso theres no escaping car registrations, and even essentially property taxes. After all in the end their rent covers that. They also pay sales tax, and gas taxes. All told their tax burden is probably a higher % then the top 1% if we look at all the taxes they pay.

Shocking. People without money or much hope commit crimes. Who knew? Theres also some environmental things to consider. I know, this is going to sound weird...but you know what one of the major drivers for crime reduction was 30 years ago? Removing lead from gasoline. Something the poorer folks were exposed to far more then richer folks. Turns out not living next to a road helps.

BWahahahhahaha. Uhmm...poor folks produce pretty much 90% of everything. If you're talking about the destitute, much of the rest of your argument is not correct.

Gosh, who knew that not having sufficient money is a massive stress on familes.

LOL. neither do the rich generally. But the vast majority of them DO take care of their kids. They struggle more because often both parents have to work.

Gosh, if only they could hire lawyers to avoid charges, or have powerful family that can make DUI's go away like Gaetz does for example. Or have the money to go to rehab. Or even have enough hope that things will get better that they dont turn to this.

LOL. They can't afford education.

Whats inexcusable is people thinking that people want to be poor. Know whose poor? The guy working at the chicken farm for near minimum wage. The guy chopping up those chickens. All the drivers moving that chicken around, the grocery clerk that sold it to you, and probably a dozen other folks along the way. And you sit and eat that and think "gosh those poor people do nothing"
1. Not having money would force someone a) to produce a baby, and b) to leave the mom and child behind? How’s that for taking care of their children?

2. Poor Chinese students studying in mud huts score better than Americans. You don’t need money to educate yourself or your children. Why do you have children you can’t afford to educate again?

3. Explain to me why drink and do drugs to begin with?

Old 07-29-2020, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
Republicans: I got mine, screw everybody else.
Democrats: I have never earned a dollar but give me yours or you are dead!!!

Old 07-29-2020, 11:43 AM

23,974 posts, read 15,082,290 times
The arrogance of this poster is astounding.

The assumption is we all have equal opportunity, competent parents and extended family, IQ, teachers, access to jobs and the transportation to get to a job, yada yada.

How about lifting people up instead of kicking them when they're down? That's what kind and generous people do.

Old 07-29-2020, 11:46 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
the poor don't pay 14% in payroll taxes. Your pay is grossed up, meaning if your wage is $20K, the company is paying you 20K + 7.6%.

You'd have to be an employer or in the payroll/HR dept to understand that though.

Old 07-29-2020, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
The arrogance of this poster is astounding.

The assumption is we all have equal opportunity, competent parents and extended family, IQ, teachers, access to jobs and the transportation to get to a job, yada yada.

How about lifting people up instead of kicking them when they're down? That's what kind and generous people do.

I thought the poor takes care of their children. They don’t leave the children and mothers behind; they don’t have children they can’t afford to raise; they don’t let their children commit crimes; they educate their children well.

Is none of these true? That is what you suggest here.

Old 07-29-2020, 11:50 AM

12,963 posts, read 13,676,205 times
Because when your mother goes to the nursing home its going to be a poor person who feeds her. When you go out to a restaurant its a poor person who washed the spoon you stuck in your mouth. When you sit on a public toilet it was a poor person who cleaned it. When you go to the hospital or clinic it was poor person who cleaned all the deadly pathogens out of the room from the last patient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies