Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2020, 02:44 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hospitality View Post
The same can be said about the rich. Not sure what your point is.

Except, many of the poor do not choose to be poor. That's an overgeneralization.
That’s too far from the truth.

Generally speaking:
1. The rich people are the most productive people - they produce 90% of goods and services.
2. The rich pays most of taxes but receive little benefits.
3. The rich commits far fewer crimes both in total and by ratio.

As for the poor doesn’t choose to be poor:

Please find one single able-bodied person who stays poor if he or she does the following:
1. Obey the law.
2. Don’t drink or do drugs.
3. Don’t have children they can’t afford and don’t have children without marriage.
4. Focus on education.
5. Do what’s told at work.
6. Live below the means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2020, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by informedconsent View Post
honoring others' life and financial decisions is the ultimate in respecting others. They get to choose how to live their life. Neither you nor anyone else has the right to pass judgment on those decisions. Just back off and leave them be. If they ask for help, do so if you wish, voluntarily.
precisely!!!

Old 08-09-2020, 02:47 PM

13,240 posts, read 4,927,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Honoring others' life and financial decisions is the ultimate in respecting others. THEY get to choose how to live their life. Neither you nor anyone else has the right to pass judgment on those decisions. Just back off and leave them be. If they ask for help, do so if you wish, voluntarily.
Should folks also 'back off & let them be' when they want explanations why they should have sympathy for the poor?

If you/she/they already have the "moral high ground" what more are you/she/they asking for?

Old 08-09-2020, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Libertarians are, generally, no fans of democracies. Unfortunately, they offer no plausible alternatives.
Just because you don’t know or can’t understand the alternative, it doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist.

Old 08-09-2020, 02:50 PM

89,031 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
How's that working out in the present pandemic conditions?
Exactly as anyone would expect. For example, NY killed many more of their older residents than other states did by forcing nursing homes and assisted living facilities to accept Covid patients, even though the Trump Admin set up extra hospitals in NY to handle them, instead, and Trump also sent the hospital ship.

Old 08-09-2020, 02:50 PM

1,950 posts, read 1,129,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
That’s too far from the truth.

Generally speaking:
1. The rich people are the most productive people - they produce 90% of goods and services.
2. The rich pays most of taxes but receive little benefits.
3. The rich commits far fewer crimes both in total and by ratio.

As for the poor doesn’t choose to be poor:

Please find one single able-bodied person who stays poor if he or she does the following:
1. Obey the law.
2. Don’t drink or do drugs.
3. Don’t have children they can’t afford and don’t have children without marriage.
4. Focus on education.
5. Do what’s told at work.
6. Live below the means.
This is an education problem. You're just not informed and education and in the same way people generally don't have sympathy for people like you. This is evident by your generalizations.

Generalizing just doesn't work. I'm what many would consider rich and in years where I've made 7 figures, I've paid less in taxes than when I've made 6 figures.... which was less than when I made 5 figures. The middle class pays most of the taxes in comparison to income ratio.

Old 08-09-2020, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Did you have two arms? two legs? Eyesight? Because a lot of people I served with didn't come back with those and didn't have the same opportunities that you did. And we don't take care of our vets enough to elevate them to a place where you got. I was fortunate where I came back in one piece and made it to a point where I no longer have to work if I don't want to. But I am not uninformed to ignore the reality that not everyone has the same opportunity.
We are talking about able-bodied people.

Old 08-09-2020, 02:53 PM

13,240 posts, read 4,927,027 times
Quote:
Christopher Hitchens said, "Though I have some respect for The Virtue of Selfishness, a collection of essays ... I don't think there's any need to have essays advocating selfishness among human beings. I don't know what your impression has been, but some things require no further reinforcement."
Honestly, you/she/they are way too high maintenance for me. What do you want? A medal? It's not gonna come from me is all I'm saying.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_...of_Selfishness

89,031 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
That's your personal interpretation.
No, that's literally exactly what it says. Further confirmed by the specific and limited enumerated powers of the Fed Gov immediately following that statement. Article 1 Section 8.

1,950 posts, read 1,129,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
We are talking about able-bodied people.
You should look at this post: https://www.city-data.com/forum/poli...dy-should.html

It doesn't say anything about able-bodies people. Let's not change the topic on the fly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies