Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2020, 06:00 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,467,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
To answer your last question, it’s because Bernie/Squad wants the ILLUSION of equality. There are some districts where all students can get free lunches if 40% of the school qualifies. The intent is to “hide” the fact that some of the students are poor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
oh, it's absolutely to (theoretically) spend 60% more than needed so that about 10% who "feel bad" about getting free meals don't get their feelings hurt.
Yup. Of course it’s about feelings. Liberals made the rules. (And just think of all that money taxpayers are coughing up to provide free lunches to the children of parents earning $100k+. Especially rotten for the single adults earning $45,000 and barely covering rent.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2020, 06:47 AM

25,119 posts, read 16,132,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
you do not understand how it works. It is literally possible for some taxpayers to get all of their withholding AND their FICA back.

Personally, I'm OK with that. As a non-Libertarian, I am perfectly OK with the US Gov't "promoting" certain behaviors - be that work, marriage, home ownership - that statistically lead to better outcomes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I do "get it" but you don't the money you put in back, especially FICA. I won't say exact numbers, but I do not get my FICA monies back. In fact, my federal withholding is virtually breakeven. And my wages is working poor. Is it possible, perhaps but it is for people making far less than I.
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
For those who have a sufficiently adequate negative effective Federal Income Tax rate, yes, it is.

To see what I'm talking about, look at the average effective Federal Income Tax rate paid by each income group, indicated by the light blue bars in the chart (Figure 2) on page 7 of this document:

https://fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R45145.pdf
sorry, yes - you don't physically get any check back that says "FICA refund". but through child credits and EITC, it is possible to not only pay $0 in Federal taxes but actually receive money from the government.

You most likely haven't seen this because you're single.

Old 08-11-2020, 07:45 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,797,690 times
Quote:
For those who have a sufficiently adequate negative effective Federal Income Tax rate, yes, it is.

To see what I'm talking about, look at the average effective Federal Income Tax rate paid by each income group, indicated by the light blue bars in the chart (Figure 2) on page 7 of this document:

https://fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R45145.pdf
And that shows what was in the past above yours where I said it is possible perhaps but you have to make less than I do. I guess as another poster said, throw in dependants and maybe I would qualify but at this point, I dont see any reason to have children nor support potential children.

Old 08-11-2020, 07:56 AM

88,729 posts, read 44,522,703 times
Quote:
And that shows what was in the past above yours where I said it is possible perhaps but you have to make less than I do. I guess as another poster said, throw in dependants and maybe I would qualify but at this point, I dont see any reason to have children nor support potential children.
Of course, it's possible. It's true of 27% of all US 1040 filers. They pay zero sum Federal Income Tax AND payroll taxes. They pay nothing for any of those whatsoever, and some of them even get MORE money from the Fed Gov on top of that.

Wrap your mind around that... 27% of all those who file a US 1040 pay no Federal Income Tax AND no payroll taxes. Yet, they'll still be eligible for SS and Medicare as long as they worked the required minimum (equal to approximately 10 years of full-time employment).

Old 08-11-2020, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Of course, it's possible. It's true of 27% of all US 1040 filers. They pay zero sum Federal Income Tax AND payroll taxes. They pay nothing for any of those whatsoever, and some of them even get MORE money from the Fed Gov on top of that.

Wrap your mind around that... 27% of all those who file a US 1040 pay no Federal Income Tax AND no payroll taxes. Yet, they'll still be eligible for SS and Medicare as long as they worked the required minimum (equal to approximately 10 years of full-time employment).
If anyone's wondering why SS and Medicare are in funding trouble, that's why. Way too many people not paying a dime in SS and Medicare tax but still eligible for full benefits anyway.

Old 08-11-2020, 09:25 AM

Quote:

Prove that they actually get the exact monies they paid payroll taxes back. I think it is possible that the people get equal, but I don't believe they get the same monies back from Social Security and Medicare.

Old 08-11-2020, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Prove that they actually get the exact monies they paid payroll taxes back. I think it is possible that the people get equal, but I don't believe they get the same monies back from Social Security and Medicare.
Did you look at the chart in the link I posted? What do you think happens when someone has a negative 15% or 14% effective Federal Income Tax rate? They get that money refunded to them which offsets whatever they paid in payroll taxes and then some. Is Math hard for you?

Old 08-11-2020, 09:38 AM

5,472 posts, read 3,208,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Please explain to me why anybody should have sympathy for the poor:

1. They don’t pay taxes but take in all the benefits.
2. They commit most of violent crimes including murder by number and by ratio.
3. They don’t produce anything.
4. They have the highest single motherhood rate.
5. They don’t take care of their children.
6. They have the highest alcohol and drug abuse by number and by ratio.
7. They don’t care about education.

I understand #1 as they are poor and don’t have money, but the rest points are inexcusable for being poor.
Reading The Bible and Understanding and Accepting its Points, Facts and Principles... is what Decent God Loving People Honor and Respect.

Proverbs 19:17
Whoever is generous to the poor lends to the Lord, and he will repay him for his deed.

Proverbs 22:9
Whoever has a bountiful eye will be blessed, for he shares his bread with the poor.

Proverbs 14:31
Whoever oppresses a poor man insults his Maker, but he who is generous to the needy honors him.

Deuteronomy 15:11
For there will never cease to be poor in the land. Therefore I command you, ‘You shall open wide your hand to your brother, to the needy and to the poor, in your land.’

These are things "Money Worshiper's and Material Worshiping Idolaters seem not to understand, and don't care to understand.

1 John 3:17
But if anyone has the world's goods and sees his brother in need, yet closes his heart against him, how does God's love abide in him?

Old 08-11-2020, 09:42 AM

25,119 posts, read 16,132,912 times
it's page 11 of his link for anyone interested. I'm not sure that I understand the effect of this note below the chart:

Quote:
Notes: The income concept used by the JCT is AGI plus tax-exempt interest, employer contributions for health plans and life insurance, employer share of FICA tax, worker’s compensation, nontaxable Social Security benefits, insurance value of Medicare benefits, AMT preference items, individual share of business taxes, and excluded income of U.S. citizens living abroad.

Old 08-11-2020, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Did you look at the chart in the link I posted? What do you think happens when someone has a negative 15% or 14% effective Federal Income Tax rate? They get that money refunded to them which offsets whatever they paid in payroll taxes and then some. Is Math hard for you?
You claim they get the money back that they put into Medicare or Social Security, yet dont prove they get the money refunded from the programs themselves. Just that they get more money than they put in. I thought I asked that, I apologize if it wasn't clear enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies