Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2020, 10:59 AM

24,630 posts, read 9,454,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapie9969 View Post
Most people are the working poor. The people who have less than 500 bucks in the bank. and a lot of people are a few missed paychecks from being homeless.
Having less than $500 doesn’t mean you’re poor. Plenty of people with good jobs are broke and living paycheck to paycheck.

Broke =/= poor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2020, 11:01 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Yep. One car part or medical emergency from the brink. Think of the forst full length Simpsons episode when Marge has to use the Christmas money for Bart's tattoo removal. Granted that was not a medical emergency but still an unknown expense. It is also a common occurrence in other episodes like the Lisa needs braces episode.
Once again, they choose to live that way. Why can’t we just respect their personal choices?

Old 08-11-2020, 11:02 AM

10,743 posts, read 5,672,124 times
Quote:
You claim they get the money back that they put into Medicare or Social Security, yet dont prove they get the money refunded from the programs themselves. Just that they get more money than they put in. I thought I asked that, I apologize if it wasn't clear enough.
Money is fungible. Without a “lockbox,” it makes no difference what pot it goes into or comes out of. It’s all the same.

Old 08-11-2020, 11:03 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I wonder if the benefits and services all individuals receive from the federal government in return for our tax contribution don't outweigh what we've put in. That would, of course, depend upon income and deductions.
Exactly my point. WHY are some people severely OVER-paying for what they get from Fed Gov while others are paying nothing at all? In what world is that "fair?"

Old 08-11-2020, 11:05 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Money is fungible. Without a “lockbox,” it makes no difference what pot it goes into or comes out of. It’s all the same.
Exactly. I just made that point.

Old 08-11-2020, 11:12 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Once again, they choose to live that way. Why can’t we just respect their personal choices?
How exactly do they choose to be in those situations? I previously debunked most of your points in the OP because many of those aren't actual choices besides maybe drug and alcohol use.

Old 08-11-2020, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Exactly. I just made that point.
Doh! I missed it.

Old 08-11-2020, 11:15 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Then direct the anger towards Congress for not making it a lockbox, not on those that get back money on taxes... That's like yelling at the cashier for having eColi on your lettuce. All they do is process the sale, bot check the item for noticeable contamination. The poor do nothing wrong yet get the blame for Congress' ability to raid the piggy bank.

Old 08-11-2020, 11:18 AM

Quote:
How exactly do they choose to be in those situations? I previously debunked most of your points in the OP because many of those aren't actual choices besides maybe drug and alcohol use.
Do you think that poor people are generally poor because of catastrophic situations (that are completely out of their control) that render null and void the best planning and preparation possible, or are they poor as a result of the decisions that they’ve made over their lifetime?

Old 08-11-2020, 11:24 AM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Again with the Bible. Why? When Fed Gov administers public assistance programs, separation of church and state applies. You'd only have a point if public assistance were voluntarily funded, which it should be, but isn't.
So are you against all social programs or just some? If you think about what TAXES - all taxes do - they are really a giant social program,,, cops, firemen, street lights, schools, medical insurance, BZ grants and subsidies - and so on
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies