Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2020, 10:58 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
So you do acknowledge that people who are currently poor could spend their lives doing those things from this moment forward and not escape poverty. Thanks!

That's not exactly how wages or the poverty level works, and the official poverty level is obvious nonsense, but let's go with it for the moment. Is there enough employment presently available at $10/hour for every currently unemployed or underemployed person to work 60 hours per week? (We'll pretend they're all hirable for the sake of argument.)

How are they going to work 60 hours per week and also "focus on education," incidentally?

If they don’t do those things, they and their children will NEVER escape poverty.

Besides, plenty of people will move up the ladder faster. I personally got out of poverty within 5 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2020, 11:23 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,864,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post

If they don’t do those things, they and their children will NEVER escape poverty.
Yes, but the whole premise of your thread is that there's no reason to have sympathy for poor people, and you've repeatedly stated that remaining poor is a choice. But now you do acknowledge that a person could be actively and correctly seeking to overcome poverty, and not achieve the goal in their lifetime. I'd say that's the sort of scenario anyone who's not a sociopath could sympathize with, a person who strives and yet does not get to enjoy the fruit of their labor.

Also, what children? They're not allowed to have children, remember?

My parents didn't do all of those things and now I'm not poor, so this NEVER thing is clearly overstated.

Quote:
Besides, plenty of people will move up the ladder faster. I personally got out of poverty within 5 years.
Sure, but you're making blanket statements that encompass everyone. Therefore if there are any exceptions, you're incorrect.

Old 08-12-2020, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Yes, but the whole premise of your thread is that there's no reason to have sympathy for poor people, and you've repeatedly stated that remaining poor is a choice. But now you do acknowledge that a person could be actively and correctly seeking to overcome poverty, and not achieve the goal in their lifetime. I'd say that's the sort of scenario anyone who's not a sociopath could sympathize with, a person who strives and yet does not get to enjoy the fruit of their labor.

My parents didn't do all of those things and now I'm not poor, so this NEVER thing is clearly overstated.

Sure, but you're making blanket statements that encompass everyone. Therefore if there are any exceptions, you're incorrect.
A generation is 20 years. A lifetime is 80 years.

The children they already have. Nobody is preventing them from having children.

Don’t be asinine. Everybody is making blanket statement including you. For example, just exactly how many people can’t get out of poverty by doing what I have suggested? So far, not even one example has been provided.

Old 08-12-2020, 11:33 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,210,859 times
Quote:
If so, that would be a free choice from the people, no?
Yes. And that is what I want. But is that what you want?

"In such condition, there is no place for Industry; because the fruit thereof is uncertain; and consequently no Culture of the Earth; no Navigation, nor use of the commodities that may be imported by Sea; no commodious Building; no Instruments of moving, and removing such things as require much force; no Knowledge of the face of the Earth; no account of Time; no Arts; no Letters; no Society." - Thomas Hobbes

Civilization requires cooperation. Either forced cooperation(slavery) or voluntary cooperation. The best cooperation is always voluntary, but if people don't cooperate voluntarily you must force them, otherwise there can be no civilization.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2020/...-civilization/

The question is, how do you get people to cooperate voluntarily?

Whether the poor deserve your sympathy or not, it is probably better that you throw them a few dollars than for them to murder you in your sleep. The interesting thing about our system is that it makes the poor think they're getting a good deal, and that the rich are somehow getting hosed. It is actually the opposite, but it is so complex that very few people understand why.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=th3KE_H27bs

Old 08-12-2020, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Yes. And that is what I want. But is that what you want?

https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/120...dustry-because

"In such condition, there is no place for Industry; because the fruit thereof is uncertain; and consequently no Culture of the Earth; no Navigation, nor use of the commodities that may be imported by Sea; no commodious Building; no Instruments of moving, and removing such things as require much force; no Knowledge of the face of the Earth; no account of Time; no Arts; no Letters; no Society." - Thomas Hobbes

Civilization requires cooperation. Either forced cooperation(slavery) or voluntary cooperation. The best cooperation is always voluntary, but if people don't cooperate voluntarily you must force them, otherwise there can be no civilization.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2020/...-civilization/

The question is, how do you get people to cooperate voluntarily?

Whether the poor deserve your sympathy or not, it is probably better that you throw them a few dollars than for them to murder you in your sleep.

The interesting thing about our system is, it makes the poor think they're getting a good deal, and that the rich are somehow getting hosed. It is actually the opposite, but it is so complex that very few people understand why.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=th3KE_H27bs
We should let the people decide under their free will, shouldn’t we? Nobody should be allowed to use force against others.

Old 08-12-2020, 11:37 AM

35,702 posts, read 21,063,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
people like me? keep reading the thread.
The facts of that story is: They took back the worms, hooks, poles and trip to the river.

Old 08-12-2020, 11:38 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,503,704 times
My grandparents immigrated here uneducated and penniless, living in tenements. One generation later, every one of their children was a college graduate, owning single-family homes in nice suburban areas.

Old 08-12-2020, 11:44 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:

Why wouldn't they get to enjoy the fruits of their labor?

Old 08-12-2020, 03:35 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,210,859 times
Quote:
We should let the people decide under their free will, shouldn’t we? Nobody should be allowed to use force against others.
Are you in favor of voluntary government?

Old 08-12-2020, 03:39 PM

24,635 posts, read 9,458,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
My grandparents immigrated here uneducated and penniless, living in tenements. One generation later, every one of their children was a college graduate, owning single-family homes in nice suburban areas.
Why work hard when you can just blame confederate statues and flags for oppressing you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies