Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2020, 05:44 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,466,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
Every Abrahamic religion has explicit or implicit requirements to provide for the less fortunate. In Liberty-orientated societies not governed strictly by religious law such as ours, a social-market economy helps ensures that the less fortunate are provided for through the bounty of capitalism. From a practical standpoint, money diverted into the pockets of the poor will end up in the pocket of the wealthy regardless.

I do have some issues with means-tested welfare, and I'd actually be for doing away with most means-tested welfare if they instituted a no strings attached flat refundable tax credit for every adult (somewhere in the $10k-$15k range depending on what number was feasible, and you've have to do away with most tax credits and deductions... including your beloved SALT deduction.); however, this idea is in anathema to both parties. I'd also be for a flat 15% income (corporate and individual) tax rate while having a budget friendly VAT (which would help with American exports). Once again, this will never happen because Dems want to give away freebies for votes while the GOP mantra is "**** THE SCUMMY (MINORITY) POOR!"

As something of an American quasi-nationalist, I prefer policies that benefit Americans and America overall rather than class distinctions. USA, USA, USA!!!!!
Does anyone here have any qualms with what I suggested in principle? USA, USA, USA!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2020, 05:44 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,452,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
Nothing shuts down a conversation (or thread) faster than a bible quote. Most people just don’t enjoy quotes from the gospel. I don’t even know how to respond because I just don’t care what it says. Eyes glaze over even if it’s in red and italicized.
I get that, I really do.

I don't quote the bible much, but the question was "explain to me why anybody should have sympathy for the poor".

For me, that is why. That is my explanation. If a person does not already see it in their own inner light to care about the welfare of their fellows, maybe this will open their hardened hearts ...

I am not expecting any miracles.

Old 07-29-2020, 05:46 PM

4,049 posts, read 2,740,988 times
We should have empathy for others less fortunate because we are all humans.

Old 07-29-2020, 05:46 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,561,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
As practical matter, what the American taxpayer spends on the 'poor' is a pittance compared to what we subsidize for the rich.

Tax all of any income over $999,000,000.00

If we want the opportunity to be a top earner we need to recognize a top means there must be a bottom.
Tax all income? Why? Are they your slaves?

Old 07-29-2020, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
I get that, I really do.

I don't quote the bible much, but the question was "explain to me why anybody should have sympathy for the poor".

For me, that is why. That is my explanation. If a person does not already see it in their own inner light to care about the welfare of their fellows, maybe this will open their hardened hearts ...

I am not expecting any miracles.
Pretty condescending for you to assume that just because I disagree with you, I now have a hardened heart.

Old 07-29-2020, 05:49 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,948,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Pretty condescending for you to assume that just because I disagree with you, I now have a hardened heart.
Reading your OP, are you prepared to argue that you DON'T have a hardened heart?

Old 07-29-2020, 05:51 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,251,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Fair enough. Explain how you have an expansive and inclusive heart towards the poor? I have not seen that demonstrated in your posts but perhaps you are hiding your true feelings.

Old 07-29-2020, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
That one's good too - but I also think you should read "Hand to Mouth" by Linda Tirado. How very, very vulnerable people are who don't have 500 bucks stashed away for a rainy day. How one little bump in the road that would be an irritation for most people can make them end up jobless or homeless.
They don’t have or they don’t want to stash away $500?

Old 07-29-2020, 05:52 PM

926 posts, read 417,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
And that is a good point, and why do the poor have, well, poor money skills in a lot of cases? How about because the left wing education system doesn't teach that stuff. Gotta have your Shakespeare instead!
My advice for these people would be: if you consider that the difference between 26 k and 17 k is nothing, then stash it away on a savings account. $ 9000 saved a year, every year. It won't make you rich, but you will build a nice nest egg for yourself.

Old 07-29-2020, 05:53 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,466,382 times
As a very nominal Hindu, I'm just going to say that Judeo-Christian morality/the Christian religion is one of the pillars of Western Civilization and continues to play a role in the collective psyche/culture of all Westerners regardless of faith status. Just saying!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies