Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2020, 08:07 AM

89,012 posts, read 44,824,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Unfortunately, throughout history, some have justified barbaric treatment of others by not considering them to be human, or somehow less than.
Quite the contrary. We're expecting them to act like rational human beings. Yet, they are not doing so. That's on them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2020, 08:27 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,925,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Quite the contrary. We're expecting them to act like rational human beings. Yet, they are not doing so. That's on them.
If that's your "rational" answer, that must be the reason why you started this thread, to signal your own virtuous response.

Old 08-09-2020, 08:39 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,925,181 times
Now I'm curious, is your virtue signaling 'other-oriented' or 'self-oriented'?

Quote:
  • Other-oriented virtue signaling is driven by extrinsic reasons, and specifically by the desire to improve the way that other people view the person who is virtue signaling. For example, a person engaging in other-oriented virtue signaling could be driven by the desire to make other people think that they’re a good person.
  • Self-oriented virtue signaling is driven by intrinsic reasons, and specifically by the desire to improve the way that the person who is virtue signaling feels about themself. For example, a person engaging in self-oriented virtue signaling could be driven by the desire to prove to themself that they’re a good person.
https://effectiviology.com/virtue-signaling/

What's motivating you OP?

Is it your desire to make other people think you're a good person?

Or, is it your desire to prove it to yourself?

Old 08-09-2020, 08:53 AM

3,354 posts, read 1,184,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
If that’s your reason, that’s fine.

The points I have raised are: 1) the poor has no higher morality - they aren’t law abiding and peaceful people, and 2) the poor chooses to be poor.

So why should we have sympathy for them?
You should not have sympathy for them. You should not live in the same country as the poor. The poor should not live on the same continent as you.

Old 08-09-2020, 08:54 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
I don't know, but to me the ability to have sympathy for the less fortunate is a good thing.

Old 08-09-2020, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Yet the poor on public assistance self-identify as Democrats in NPR, Maxwell, and Pew Research polls. How do they know they're Democrats if they don't vote?
Poor don't care. That's why. You seem to think all people should have the same level of mental wealth and health as you do. They just don't like you, your world, your people, and just don't really care about anything other than whatever money they can get. They really don't care at all about things such as sympathy or polls or democrats or republicans. Everything about society is about faking it wherever you can to get what you want, so poor people have every right to fake wherever they can to get what they want.

Old 08-09-2020, 09:03 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,590,000 times
When I watch 90 Day Fiance, and i see the people from other countries who are dating the Americans to get out of their proverty, they seem to live in squalor, i.e. the woman from the Phillipines and a few others, it looked terrible. and dangerous and filthy, but the person who lives there, is is what they know. The visitor from America was complaining so bad about conditions, that he seemed weaker than the Phillipino woman who adapted to it and made it no big deal. (this was Big Ed by the way).

So we could feel sorry for her, but she seems to be stronger than the American who came to visit. they don't need sympathy, they need perhaps, money or something to help make their life a bit easier. Same with American poor. Teach them a skill and they will work their way out.

one good thing here in Chicago (and possibly all over the place) in the very poor neighborhood of Englewood, people are creating gardens, big gardens, filled with vegetables, that the people are taught to work, and harvest and they will have food that they can use bigly, and can sell,, this is great!! i think this was an excellent way to help the poor. not just hand them money, but teach them farming. Now more farms are sprouting up all over what used to be vacant lots.

the worst thing was the welfare state, where people just waited for their monthly check, and it was ok for a while, but soon, generations lived off that and made them victims of being depending on the government. I am all for helping people find a way out, not just giving them welfare. Plus, the people tending the farms which i spoke about above are actually loving this and they want to do that instead of being a loser.

also, the men being a father figure to boys that could have been delinquents if it had not been for these father figures. some man will take a kid and play basketball or whatever with the kids and now they have someone good to look up to, so that they wont pick a gang as a family. this has been a great help too.

Old 08-09-2020, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
When I watch 90 Day Fiance, and i see the people from other countries who are dating the Americans to get out of their proverty, they seem to live in squalor, i.e. the woman from the Phillipines and a few others, it looked terrible. and dangerous and filthy, but the person who lives there, is is what they know. The visitor from America was complaining so bad about conditions, that he seemed weaker than the Phillipino woman who adapted to it and made it no big deal. (this was Big Ed by the way).

So we could feel sorry for her, but she seems to be stronger than the American who came to visit. they don't need sympathy, they need perhaps, money or something to help make their life a bit easier. Same with American poor. Teach them a skill and they will work their way out.

one good thing here in Chicago (and possibly all over the place) in the very poor neighborhood of Englewood, people are creating gardens, big gardens, filled with vegetables, that the people are taught to work, and harvest and they will have food that they can use bigly, and can sell,, this is great!! i think this was an excellent way to help the poor. not just hand them money, but teach them farming. Now more farms are sprouting up all over what used to be vacant lots.

the worst thing was the welfare state, where people just waited for their monthly check, and it was ok for a while, but soon, generations lived off that and made them victims of being depending on the government. I am all for helping people find a way out, not just giving them welfare. Plus, the people tending the farms which i spoke about above are actually loving this and they want to do that instead of being a loser.

also, the men being a father figure to boys that could have been delinquents if it had not been for these father figures. some man will take a kid and play basketball or whatever with the kids and now they have someone good to look up to, so that they wont pick a gang as a family. this has been a great help too.
Thing is, even with jobs and money, some people are going to be delinquents and hate your way of life no matter what. What has been done cannot be fixed unless someone stops expecting poor people to magically want something they don't want. People behave the way they do because they want to. Teach a man to fish and he'll steal your fishing gear then go pawn it.

Old 08-09-2020, 10:53 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aileesic View Post
You should not have sympathy for them. You should not live in the same country as the poor. The poor should not live on the same continent as you.

Why should we have sympathy for those who CHOOSE to be poor? Shouldn’t we just respect their choices?

Old 08-09-2020, 10:55 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aileesic View Post
Thing is, even with jobs and money, some people are going to be delinquents and hate your way of life no matter what. What has been done cannot be fixed unless someone stops expecting poor people to magically want something they don't want. People behave the way they do because they want to. Teach a man to fish and he'll steal your fishing gear then go pawn it.
Why should anybody have sympathy for people like this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies