Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2020, 12:18 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
You can have your personal opinion, and have every right to it- but this is about banding or herding folks to think like you. HMHM You thread should read: Why should I have any sympathy for the poor? If you don't -
to me, it's your loss as a human being. That is my opinion... which I have a right to.

Quote:
Karma should come-- and strip him of all his goods- and I mean all, then lets see what he has to say.
This is vicious! Only an evil person can say things like this to a peaceful person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2020, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
You're confused, as usual. I didn't start the thread.

Old 08-09-2020, 12:23 PM

35,702 posts, read 21,063,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
This is vicious! Only an evil person can say things like this to a peaceful person.
I did not say it to you- it was a comment to another post-- and it is vicious to be cold and unsympathetic of poor people - but you are attacking me personally. done

Old 08-09-2020, 12:46 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,036,920 times
Quote:
Vicious is wishing a person, who has not harmed anybody, to suffer just because you disagree with his or her opinions.

Indifference is not vicious. Respecting other people’s life choices is not vicious.
"Zero substance. You are virtue signalling"

Old 08-09-2020, 12:48 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,036,920 times
Quote:
Karma should come-- and strip him of all his goods- and I mean all, then lets see what he has to say.
He/she will use the 7 commandments he posted to come back up in life.

Old 08-09-2020, 12:52 PM

Quote:
I did not say it to you- it was a comment to another post-- and it is vicious to be cold and unsympathetic of poor people - but you are attacking me personally. done
Sure you did. You know what you did and you know who you are!

Old 08-09-2020, 01:00 PM

1,950 posts, read 1,129,463 times
Quote:
If that’s your reason, that’s fine.

The points I have raised are: 1) the poor has no higher morality - they aren’t law abiding and peaceful people, and 2) the poor chooses to be poor.

So why should we have sympathy for them?
The same can be said about the rich. Not sure what your point is.

Except, many of the poor do not choose to be poor. That's an overgeneralization.

Old 08-09-2020, 01:12 PM

10,755 posts, read 5,676,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hospitality View Post
The same can be said about the rich. Not sure what your point is.

Except, many of the poor do not choose to be poor. That's an overgeneralization.
What does it mean to “choose to be poor?” Does it mean that one wakes up one day and says to themself, “I am going to be poor”? Or is the “choice” to be poor simply the result of a lifetime of bad choices?

Old 08-09-2020, 01:18 PM

13,240 posts, read 4,927,027 times
Quote:
You're confused, as usual. I didn't start the thread.
Who does the "We're" below refer to, if not you & the OP? Are you the same person, family members, friends, or do you just belong to the same brainwashed cult of Ayn Rand followers? In any event, both of you have been signaling your own virtue here throughout.

Quote:
Quite the contrary. We're expecting them to act like rational human beings. Yet, they are not doing so. That's on them.
Still curious about this part:

Quote:
  • Other-oriented virtue signaling is driven by extrinsic reasons, and specifically by the desire to improve the way that other people view the person who is virtue signaling. For example, a person engaging in other-oriented virtue signaling could be driven by the desire to make other people think that they’re a good person.
  • Self-oriented virtue signaling is driven by intrinsic reasons, and specifically by the desire to improve the way that the person who is virtue signaling feels about themself. For example, a person engaging in self-oriented virtue signaling could be driven by the desire to prove to themself that they’re a good person.

https://effectiviology.com/virtue-signaling/

What gives?

What's motivating you two?

Is it your desire to make other people think you're a good person?

Or, is it your desire to prove it to yourself?

Old 08-09-2020, 01:23 PM

1,950 posts, read 1,129,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
What does it mean to “choose to be poor?” Does it mean that one wakes up one day and says to themself, “I am going to be poor”? Or is the “choice” to be poor simply the result of a lifetime of bad choices?
That's a good question. Such statements are believed by people who choose to be uninformed and uneducated. This would be defined by people unwilling to learn. A better question is why should anybody have sympathy for the uninformed and uneducated?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies