Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2020, 08:29 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,917,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
Congress has the authority to change the date of the election via legislation so what's wrong with Trump asking the question?

The majority pro-Republican Senate will do whatever Trump orders them to do. If he says, "Delay the election" they will do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2020, 08:33 AM

8,840 posts, read 4,804,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
On this we agree. No need to tweet crazy stuff about delaying elections.
I prefer to vote in person myself, but my polling station is five minutes away, I have a car, and I am not immunocompromised. I've never waited more tha five minutes in line- I live in an affluent area. My experience is not everyone's experience.

Most poll workers are retirees and don't want to expose themselves.

Old 07-30-2020, 08:35 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,557,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
I prefer to vote in person myself, but my polling station is five minutes away, I have a car, and I am not immunocompromised. I've never waited more tha five minutes in line- I live in an affluent area. My experience is not everyone's experience.

Most poll workers are retirees and don't want to expose themselves.
When we switched to all mail ballots years ago, I didn’t mind at all. I get to take my time with my ballot and then drop it in a secure ballot box.

Old 07-30-2020, 08:38 AM

5,913 posts, read 3,185,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellopity View Post
The fact that he is doing everything in his power to undermine confidence in our voting process speaks to threat he poses to our democracy.
He never specified who or what he could shoot on 5th Avenue:

Old 07-30-2020, 08:39 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,700,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Yes, this triggers me. Here’s why:

He wouldn’t be doing this if he was leading in the polls.

Simply by mentioning this he is preemptively sewing seeds of doubt in an election outcome that isn’t favorable to him.

There is not credible evidence of fraud. This clown even commissioned an investigation into fraud when he was elected and they came up with zip.

Colorado, where I live, has been voting by mail for years. It is safe and convenient, even according to our many republican Secretaries of State.

Trump, himself, votes by absentee ballot.
This, exactly.
Clearly his internal polling is tracking with the public polling so he has to sow doubt.
He really is a disgusting human being.

Old 07-30-2020, 08:40 AM

8,497 posts, read 4,559,995 times
Sending federal forces out into the streets of the nation and wanting to suspend elections. These are the classic moves of a totalitarian dictator.

Old 07-30-2020, 08:41 AM

1,154 posts, read 366,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
The majority pro-Republican Senate will do whatever Trump orders them to do. If he says, "Delay the election" they will do it.
They cannot do that. We’d have to pass a Constitutional amendment, which would require two-thirds in both houses and then must be ratified by 75% of the state legislatures before it takes effect. Furthermore, a president has absolutely no role in adopting a Constitutional amendment, so he’s talking out of his hindquarters. It’s a process that takes years, so it’s definitely not going to happen less than 100 days before the election no matter how many sycophant butt-kissers Trump has in the Senate. He’s just using this to spool up the media in order to distract from the announcement of the GDP numbers. Trump may be a horrible President but he’s an expert troll.

Old 07-30-2020, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
He knows he's going to serve a 2nd term - the issues right now are Covid which may prevent people from going to the polls, protests and riots - which could also make people afraid to go out and vote and the fact the USPS is not able to deliver the mail in a timely fashion due to Covid and the cutbacks which may mean many votes not being counted because they are never received.

Now had Obama requested this - the left would give them their full support - it's only because the President is Republican and not Democrat.
The post office delays have been mandated by the guy Trump put in charge.
If anyone is intentionally trying to derail the election and block voting it’s Trump.

Old 07-30-2020, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Why do you think that delaying the election would even cross his mind?
Rudy probably whispered in his ear.
He tried to do the same in NYC after 9/11.

Old 07-30-2020, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
Not for the entire state you haven't. the infrastructure will be overwhelmed.
Yes, the entire state.

For years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies