Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Mail-in Voting function well enough?
Yes, MIV will work well enough 24 30.00%
Yes, with some glitches and some corruption 4 5.00%
No, it won't work well enough. Not good method 10 12.50%
No, it will fail. Many contested elections House/Senate 38 47.50%
We won't know untill we get there 4 5.00%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2020, 10:47 AM

14,458 posts, read 12,076,604 times

Advertisements

What I think is ironic is, the left has been telling us for four years that the Russians interfered in our last election and the result was fraudulent and illegitimate. It's not even real clear how that was accomplished, and yet now, it's not even possible to meddle in an election and anyone who asks for some verification that a completely new process will have adequate safeguards, is mocked and dismissed.

This is what passes for discourse in this country now, it's no surprise the country is becoming more and more divided and ungovernable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2020, 10:52 AM

8,753 posts, read 5,040,045 times
The problem is, some states are not capable of doing anything out of the norm. It would be a big mess.

Old 07-30-2020, 10:56 AM

130,047 posts, read 12,067,125 times
All of you people who are demanding in person voting, should sign up to be a poll worker. It might also be an eye opener to see how secure it is.

Old 07-30-2020, 10:59 AM

3,307 posts, read 1,216,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
It's crazy that in 2020 we still can't figure out voting from home using newfangled things called computers. We are able to conduct trillions of dollars of financial transactions on these futuristic devices but we can't trust ourselves to handle the simplest of tasks- "select A or B and press submit".

Somehow we think that printing stuff out, mailing it, filling it out, mailing it back, and having a human open it and either read it or feed it into their own newfangled computer is... safer? better? Certainly not cheaper.

Embarrassing as a nation that we can't figure out how to use 30 year old tech to do something so simple.
Yea that’s true. We should be able to figure out a way for everyone to vote by computer if that’s what they want to do. There has to be a layer of encryption to it on both ends. I can see the voter using a two factor authorization platform to get access to their ballot and utilizing block chain or something else to secure the ballots, and using encryption and Face ID for the counters of said ballots. Also the computer can count, but having a person there to verify the tallies would be good.

Old 07-30-2020, 11:01 AM

21,906 posts, read 9,480,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
It's crazy that in 2020 we still can't figure out voting from home using newfangled things called computers. We are able to conduct trillions of dollars of financial transactions on these futuristic devices but we can't trust ourselves to handle the simplest of tasks- "select A or B and press submit".

Somehow we think that printing stuff out, mailing it, filling it out, mailing it back, and having a human open it and either read it or feed it into their own newfangled computer is... safer? better? Certainly not cheaper.

Embarrassing as a nation that we can't figure out how to use 30 year old tech to do something so simple.
Have they figured out how to stop identity theft?

Old 07-30-2020, 11:08 AM

2,306 posts, read 1,701,855 times
I've done both mail-in (when I was living overseas 20 years ago) and absentee (just about every Presidential election because I am out of town for a convention the first week of November--every year).

The mail in was more of a PIA. But they send you an envelop and a bunch of stuff, you seal your vote in an envelop, sign it, it has a code on it so it's only counted once, etc, etc. It's been a while, but I think I also had to have a witness sign the envelope that I sealed my ballot in. And it may not have been counted before the loser conceded. Mail in votes are slow to be counted and usually someone concedes on election night as the polls come in.

Absentee is just like going to the polls. I go to the local government center, check in, and vote just like I do on election day. I think it's more likely to be counted because it's before the general election.

This year I will probably vote absentee just to avoid standing in line (no convention this year, go figure). You have to give a reason for voting absentee but there are so many accepted reasons (and I think my state is adding Covid to it) that it's pretty simple to get your excuse accepted.

Old 07-30-2020, 11:12 AM

1,761 posts, read 1,712,890 times
Reading all these posts on mail in ballots, and I'm assuming the rules in various states are/would/will be different, is a secret ballot a thing of the past when voting by mail? Some have mentioned if there is a problem with your ballot....you'll be contacted. That would presumably mean there is no more secret ballot, and I can't be the only one seeing a huge potential problem with that.

Can anyone tell me how this mail in ballot system works? if your vote truly secret/private or can it be traced back to you by name and address?

If your votes aren't truly private, I'd say that would truly constitute voter suppression, if for instance you were supporting a candidate considered unacceptable by the politically connected, or politically correct masses. You know...fall in line, or else type of thing.

Old 07-30-2020, 11:27 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,546,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I live in a mail in state, WA and I don't get any of those notifications. Nor do I think that is what is proposed nationwide.
There is no nationwide proposal. Every state is in charge of their own voting. Colorado is the model for how to do it right.

You should read about how your state’s system works though. Nobody can copy your ballot and vote twice with it.

Old 07-30-2020, 11:36 AM

17,297 posts, read 12,225,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper1372 View Post
Reading all these posts on mail in ballots, and I'm assuming the rules in various states are/would/will be different, is a secret ballot a thing of the past when voting by mail? Some have mentioned if there is a problem with your ballot....you'll be contacted. That would presumably mean there is no more secret ballot, and I can't be the only one seeing a huge potential problem with that.

Can anyone tell me how this mail in ballot system works? if your vote truly secret/private or can it be traced back to you by name and address?

If your votes aren't truly private, I'd say that would truly constitute voter suppression, if for instance you were supporting a candidate considered unacceptable by the politically connected, or politically correct masses. You know...fall in line, or else type of thing.
In WA anyway, the exterior envelope has your name which you also sign and date. Inside that envelope is another secrecy envelope which does not have your name. So essentially mirrors the in person process where you sign the register then vote. You can track that your ballot was received online(exterior envelope), but can't verify what you voted for as that is at the next secrecy layer.

Old 07-30-2020, 11:37 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,696,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy84 View Post
Can someone please explain the difference?
There is no real difference. Seriously.

In one case, the state mails you a ballot, you fill it out, sign it, and mail it in.
In the other case, the state mails you a ballot, you fill it out, sign it, and mail it in.

If there is a difference, it is in the "why."

In states like UT and HI, voters are mailed ballots without asking.
In states like AZ and AK, voters request a mail-in ballot and don't have to offer an excuse.
In states like NY and SC, voters request a mail-in ballot, but have to provide an excuse.

However, the ballot is the same. You have to sign it, mail it and then it is counted. Frankly, Trump supporters are just afraid of something that doesn't exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies