Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2020, 08:36 AM

34,230 posts, read 18,571,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
I was ready for deniers to come out of the woodwork because the facts don't suit their narrative. You're the prefect representative for that skewed voice, so I'll call out your post and let my words stay in for all the other deniers sure to follow.
The basic premise of the poll is flawed. These are not "protesters". They are violent rioters, looters and arsonists. Big difference. Thread fail. Again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2020, 08:36 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,255,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
this is from JUNE 23-JULY 6, 2020 - that data is ancient.
It's well-past the George Floyd Murder. Do you have a more recent poll?

Old 07-31-2020, 08:37 AM

5,209 posts, read 1,796,164 times
Of course they do. Most people are not affected by the protests that turn violent. Most people support things that appear to be for a good cause. They are well-intentioned, but also gullible.

When they actually experience unmitigated destruction, powerless police, and hear the smashing of windows and beating of drums...it becomes different. When they actually lose sleep, businesses, or the ability to move around freely, it becomes different.

Even if a few buildings are burned...it's someone else's building not theirs. So it's all good... for 'the cause.'

Because of this failure of critical thinking and ethical reasoning, these people will vote for more of the radical leftist agenda. And then five years later when the mob--perhaps under some other banner-- comes for them, they will wonder why. And they will call the police, but they won't come, because there are only 10 cops left on the force due to defunding.

Old 07-31-2020, 08:38 AM

19,836 posts, read 12,096,528 times
If they were shown a video of these protests in advance of the questions, how many would give a different answer?

Old 07-31-2020, 08:39 AM

1,707 posts, read 2,983,597 times
If you are against people standing up against racism, it's likely you are a racist yourself.

Old 07-31-2020, 08:40 AM

477 posts, read 336,239 times
Naturally, every normal/ordinary person supports peaceful protests for racial justice.
ALL people are equal.
ALL lives matter.

Old 07-31-2020, 08:43 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,436,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
Let's see how many still support it when the 'peaceful protesters' come to their neighborhood to riot.

My city has had dozens of protests, including two weeks of daily protests that brought out 500-1000 people, with the big events bringing out several more thousand. We're having another tonight.

No riots. No violence. Many people were coming out for their first protest ever.

Every town and city in my area had their own array of protests. My hometown in Georgia had its largest protest ever. The last time such a large group of people came out was when white supremacists marched on my town in 1987. Even Oprah showed up to cover it.

Turn off Fox News.

Old 07-31-2020, 08:44 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,255,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAman View Post
ALL people are equal.
ALL lives matter.
True. But can you say these three words only: Black Lives Matter?

Old 07-31-2020, 08:46 AM

34,230 posts, read 18,571,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
True. But can you say these three words only: Black Lives Matter?
Why must one group be elevated above all others? Why must only Black lives matter?

Old 07-31-2020, 08:46 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,209,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
I would have to see how the questions were phrased. These polls are often done to generate very specific results.
I can't support racism or racist regardless of who they aim it at.
"Do you support the right to peaceably assemble and protest without breaking laws?"

I don't think that's what they asked, but it's a great question IMO.

I believe Black lives matter, and in fact had an epiphany about saying that instead of holding to "all lives matter" as a response. The Black community feels pain, and I feel that pain "with" them.

I do not believe in #Black Lives Matter though.

Lengthy discussions have been reasonably had, and many unreasonable ones. The poll was conducted June 23 - Jul 6, by which time the "immediate anger" had disappeared, almost everyone agreed his death was wrong, an overwhelming willingness to review police practices to improve them, etc.

By July 1, the promoted conversation was "Defund the Police" and "#ACAB".

Pose the question that way. "Do you support Defunding or Abolishing the Police or believe that All Cops are Bad?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies