Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2020, 08:47 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,223,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
If they were shown a video of these protests in advance of the questions, how many would give a different answer?
We've had a number of peaceful protests in front of our house in Center City Philadelphia - people of all races and ages practicing their First Amendment rights. It's only made me more attuned to the matter.

How many protests have you seen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2020, 08:50 AM

5,209 posts, read 1,789,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
My city has had dozens of protests, including two weeks of daily protests that brought out 500-1000 people, with the big events bringing out several more thousand. We're having another tonight.

No riots. No violence. Many people were coming out for their first protest ever.

Every town and city in my area had their own array of protests. My hometown in Georgia had its largest protest ever. The last time such a large group of people came out was when white supremacists marched on my town in 1987. Even Oprah showed up to cover it.

Turn off Fox News.
Okay, so it didn't happen in your area. Good for you. It happened in mine. So why is it acceptable to say, "All good here..." while other people are suffering? That's my point. It's this attitude that says "I don't see a problem in my immediate area, so there isn't a problem." My stepson lives in NYC. We live just outside the city limits, and like to visit him now and again but Saturday night, the area where he lives was ruled by MOBS.

https://nypost.com/2020/07/26/insurg...ic-city-scene/

But your area was fine, so....kumbaya?

We have 330 million people. Of course most places are fine. But many are NOT fine.

Old 07-31-2020, 08:52 AM

25,119 posts, read 16,146,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
I was ready for deniers to come out of the woodwork because the facts don't suit their narrative. You're the prefect representative for that skewed voice, so I'll call out your post and let my words stay in for all the other deniers sure to follow.
how much of the article/poll presentation did you read?

Old 07-31-2020, 08:56 AM

475 posts, read 334,403 times
Quote:
True. But can you say these three words only: Black Lives Matter?
Four words: Black Lives Matter Too.

Old 07-31-2020, 08:56 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,711,133 times
The entire equation gets skewed depending upon how you ask the question. The vast majority of Americans are in favor of genuinely peaceful protests. Many of these protests actually are managing to do that. The vast majority of Americans are against rioting, murdering, graffiting, burning, smashing out windows, shooting/assaulting random strangers in their cars, raping and terrorizing. When you ask the average American, especially those who aren't really paying much attention, "Do you support these protests as long as they are peaceful." they'll automatically say, "Yes, of course!! Absolutely!!" But as the terrorizing has continued and only the right-leaning press actually bothers to report on it, people on the Right being asked the same question are thinking, "Of course peaceful protest is fine. These protests aren't peaceful. They're violent orgies of destruction and chaos, and I don't support that." So a Republican who would ordinarily answer "Yes" instead answers "No" and it's not anymore complicated than that.

Old 07-31-2020, 09:22 AM

6,294 posts, read 2,855,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
this is from JUNE 23-JULY 6, 2020 - that data is ancient.
Good eye. I wonder how it will be in future polls when the inner cities are all in flames.

Good news in the poll:
Quote:
Meanwhile, a solid majority of Republicans (74%) say the protests hurt the cause.

Old 07-31-2020, 09:25 AM

25,119 posts, read 16,146,620 times
to me, it's very clear that by sometime between June 23 and July 6, the perception of the protests depends on how one was getting their information, and how much information they got. I think perception from May 28 through June 10 would be very different 3 weeks later.

The June 24th Tim Scott bill was ridiculed by and didn't pass because of the Democrats.

Quote:
As Sen. Angus King (I-Maine), one of three members of the Democratic caucus who voted to advance the Scott bill, explained, “voting against it will end the discussion of this subject in the Senate for the foreseeable future, and leave us with nothing to show for all the energy and passion that has brought this issue to the forefront of public consciousness.”
Usually, when something of such passion and perceived importance comes up for a vote, you'll get near unanimous agreement. Even if the Dems wanted some significant changes to "qualified immunity", they could have either negotiated for it or accepted they were getting about 90% of what they wanted, and sometimes 90% has to be good enough.

by the way, the exact questions asked are within the article.

Old 07-31-2020, 09:41 AM

11,185 posts, read 10,960,959 times
Quote:
Two thirds of all Americans support the racial justice protests held across the country this spring and summer, according to a recently released Gallup poll.
Which type of "racial justice protests" are they referring to when they ask people?

Type 1: Peaceful people of all ages holding up signs that support their cause and congregating or marching in a peaceful manner to show others what they are looking to change.

OR

Type 2: Loud, obnoxious, violent, looting, arsonist, threatening, destructive, militant, vulgar sub human specimens masked up and clad in all black attacking anything and everything they deem fit with complete impunity.

When these people answered the question, they were answering assuming Type 1. Problem is, Type 1 is not reality anymore, and the left is totally cool with Type 2, as is being witnessed in large urban liberal cesspools all over the country.

Old 07-31-2020, 09:42 AM

6,829 posts, read 2,109,069 times
Count me in the 1 out of every 3 then.

Old 07-31-2020, 10:03 AM

7,971 posts, read 7,328,574 times
Quote:
We've had a number of peaceful protests in front of our house in Center City Philadelphia - people of all races and ages practicing their First Amendment rights. It's only made me more attuned to the matter.

How many protests have you seen?
In DD's small rural town, there was one white hipster looking guy standin'g on a street corner holding a sign one afternoon. That's as much as was going on there. He eventually left, but taped up his sign. Someone ripped it down.

In my own small town, about ten protesters stood in front of the Borough building holding signs. They all looked like young, white college students. They didn't cause any trouble, there weren't enough of them.

I guess we fall in the 1/3 not in favor of the protests or (I suspect) don't really care about the matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies