Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Has your opinion changed?
No - I feel the same way as I originally did 48 85.71%
Somewhat - I still sit on the fence from where I was originally but newer information has me thinking 5 8.93%
Yes - I've pretty much done an about face in my opinion 3 5.36%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2020, 12:28 PM

2,391 posts, read 1,405,814 times

Advertisements

Yes. My opinion about Covid has changed with what medical researchers have learned. At first, I was much more concerned about hand-washing and wiping down every single surface. Now that we know that transmission is mainly through the air (droplets;aerosols) and not through fomites, I am also more concerned with mask wearing.

Also, whenever I hear promising news about a vaccine on the horizon, it makes me feel much less tolerant of the total craziness (here in FL and elsewhere in the sunbelt). I mean, if we knew Covid was never going to be away and we just had to live with it ... sure open the schools and the bars, whatever. But it is looking good for some kind of vaccine in 2021 .... can’t we just play it safe and hold out a little longer? For crying out loud! If my husband dies this fall because the administration at the school where he works are insisting on F2F, then a vaccine comes out a few months later, I simply do not even know how angry I will be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2020, 12:31 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,360,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I have thought that it was a hoax and scam from the beginning. Not that the virus doesn't exist, but the reaction to it has been different from any previously and way more extreme than necessary.
The problem is the State of course but neither team is going to broach that issue.

I firmly believe the virus is real and a serious threat. I also believe the State has no right to mandate anything because well...it has no right to exist.

In a free society without mandatory measures by involuntary 3rd parties I could approach it my way and you could approach it your way. The market would dictate whether or not we cross paths.

Old 07-31-2020, 12:31 PM

2,391 posts, read 1,405,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
The irony in all of it is that the more these people resist this idea the more the things they care about most (opening up unfettered) gets postponed.

I mean, it's actually quite funny. I'm slowly going broke because of it but it's been one helluva ride.

I know! Do they truly not see it? Do they truly not understand how they are shooting themselves in the foot? Are they too proud to admit they were wrong?

Old 07-31-2020, 12:34 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,073,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Schramm View Post
I know! Do they truly not see it? Do they truly not understand how they are shooting themselves in the foot? Are they too proud to admit they were wrong?
Yes, they are. So they will continue to refuse to do the one and only thing that will bring us out of this mess, and that's to take it seriously. Instead, they continue to make sure we NEVER get out from under, even as they whine and whine and whine about not liking where we are.

Because....well, because you can't fix stupid. And Dear Leader is a champion of Stupid. God help us all.

Old 07-31-2020, 12:36 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,035,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
From the beginning, I said that this is bad and will get worse.

And it has!

Wear your damn masks!!!!!!!!!!
May be the indifference of the common folk . Even around March I thought it would be local to China and Europe and it would never reach here. DAMN!!

Old 07-31-2020, 12:36 PM

17,574 posts, read 13,350,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
It's not the flu.

That's what I don't understand. Idiots comparing this to the flu.

I'll never understand it

This is a unique virus that has never challenged our immune systems before. From day one, I knew ( and my virologist and epidemiologist friends knew) that this was a disaster in the making

Old 07-31-2020, 12:38 PM

13,601 posts, read 4,931,126 times
I never felt fearful. But back in February I figured the odds of me getting the virus were 1 in a million, so not worth doing anything about. In March I was shocked at how rapidly it was spreading, and started to self-isolate. In May I thought the worst was past us, and we could cautiously open up. In June I saw what a disaster that was for states like Florida and Texas. Today I think we are at best halfway throught this pandemic, with more death to come.

Throughout, I have never felt fear or panic. Just being realistic.

18,983 posts, read 9,073,833 times
Quote:

I'll never understand it

This is a unique virus that has never challenged our immune systems before. From day one, I knew ( and my virologist and epidemiologist friends knew) that this was a disaster in the making
If they admit this isn't the flu, they will also have to admit they, and Trump, were wrong. Can you imagine how many heads would explode in the process? What a mess that would be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Schramm View Post
I have an odd position because I don't subscribe to the paradigm of legitimate government (otherwise known as anarchy).

I fully support people freely associating and freely moving about as long as they respect the rights of others.

So I don't see it as them being "wrong". They are simply trying to use the government to use its force as they see fit. That machinery is wrong. Their personal position is not even relevant to me at that point.

On the other side of the coin you have people who are trying to have the government use its force as they see fit by making masks mandatory/shutting places down/etc.

I don't agree with either because I don't agree with using the State as the machine of functioning.

Use the market. The market can't be fooled. The unfettered glorious free market.

My inkling is that those who want to go on without masks and not alter their behavior would be wrong so it sort of comes across that way...that I'm agreeing with the pro-mask/pro-shut down side. I'm just agreeing with that position for me personally.

Old 07-31-2020, 12:39 PM

Quote:

I'll never understand it

It became politicized and that's where the problems began.

It's clearly not the flu.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies