Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Has your opinion changed?
No - I feel the same way as I originally did 48 85.71%
Somewhat - I still sit on the fence from where I was originally but newer information has me thinking 5 8.93%
Yes - I've pretty much done an about face in my opinion 3 5.36%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2020, 12:46 PM

6,829 posts, read 2,115,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
It's not the flu.
Is English your first language?

Usually native speakers would understand that when I say "is milder than the flu", that I'm not saying it's the flu.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2020, 12:48 PM

2,013 posts, read 3,519,252 times
My opinion hasn't changed. I've always felt germs are just part of life that we have to deal with, and we can't just shut everything down and live under a rock. I'm fine with social distancing and wearing masks, but I'm not going to stop doing the things I love and spending time with friends and family. If I get sick or my family gets sick, we'll deal with it the best we can. Tuberculosis still kills 1.5 million people every year worldwide and we have a vaccine and cure for it. Bacteria and viruses are something humans have to live with now and forever.

Old 07-31-2020, 12:53 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,347,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post

Usually native speakers would understand that when I say "is milder than the flu", that I'm not saying it's the flu.
Ok.

I disagree but ok.

Old 07-31-2020, 12:56 PM

18,984 posts, read 9,066,710 times
Quote:

And you would still be wrong. In no universe is this "milder than the flu."

Old 07-31-2020, 01:00 PM

17,534 posts, read 13,324,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
I never felt fearful. But back in February I figured the odds of me getting the virus were 1 in a million, so not worth doing anything about. In March I was shocked at how rapidly it was spreading, and started to self-isolate. In May I thought the worst was past us, and we could cautiously open up. In June I saw what a disaster that was for states like Florida and Texas. Today I think we are at best halfway throught this pandemic, with more death to come.

Throughout, I have never felt fear or panic. Just being realistic.

I Don't feel that we are halfway there yet for several reasons

1) Too many nonbelievers who ignore common sense and science. No social distancing, no masks etc

2) Even though both the Oxford and Pfizer vaccines look VERY promising, it will still take 6-12 months to get into production and longer to vaccinate enough people

3) Too many people who won't get vaccinated, just because they are anti-vaxers and dumb

4) While we are treating patients better and finding better anti-virals, we still don't have a definitive cure

5) Maybe most important reason, this has become political. Neither party cares for the American people more than just getting elected in November.

We need both a cure for infected people and a vaccine that works to get where we need to be. And just maybe, this will start to get better after November 3rd

Old 07-31-2020, 01:28 PM

34,003 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Put on your damn mask!
I'm wearing my mask even after this is over, trust me

Ppl are nasty

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-31-2020, 01:47 PM

16,266 posts, read 10,392,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Schramm View Post
Yes. My opinion about Covid has changed with what medical researchers have learned. At first, I was much more concerned about hand-washing and wiping down every single surface. Now that we know that transmission is mainly through the air (droplets;aerosols) and not through fomites, I am also more concerned with mask wearing.

Also, whenever I hear promising news about a vaccine on the horizon, it makes me feel much less tolerant of the total craziness (here in FL and elsewhere in the sunbelt). I mean, if we knew Covid was never going to be away and we just had to live with it ... sure open the schools and the bars, whatever. But it is looking good for some kind of vaccine in 2021 .... can’t we just play it safe and hold out a little longer? For crying out loud! If my husband dies this fall because the administration at the school where he works are insisting on F2F, then a vaccine comes out a few months later, I simply do not even know how angry I will be.
This is the best post I have read so far. I'm with you, at first I was concerned about simple things like pumping gas, we did wipe down every item from the grocery store or leave the non-parishibles to sit for a day. Now I don't do any of that, I simply use a little hand sanitizer and concentrate on wearing a mask and staying away from A-holes who think this is the nothing more than the flu.

As for your husband I for the life of me can't figure out why school districts would take on that kind of liability. If he was forced to work when he did not feel comfortable and he dies from COVID you will sue and you will win. Big time.

Old 07-31-2020, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
The problem is the State of course but neither team is going to broach that issue.

I firmly believe the virus is real and a serious threat. I also believe the State has no right to mandate anything because well...it has no right to exist.

In a free society without mandatory measures by involuntary 3rd parties I could approach it my way and you could approach it your way. The market would dictate whether or not we cross paths.
Do you feel the same way about drunk driving laws? Sure you can avoid crossing paths by simply not driving, just as you would need to stop living to avoid crossing paths with a guy who spent a night at a party and is not wearing a maks. But neither option is realistic, we still need to live our lives and can't avoid coming in contact with those acting selfishly.

Old 07-31-2020, 01:58 PM

Quote:

Given how you are claiming COVID is milder than the flu I'm not sure you are in a position to lecture others on their ability to comprehend.

Old 07-31-2020, 02:00 PM

610 posts, read 263,830 times
I'm in the same place I've always been, which is firmly in the middle.

Mask wearing, social distancing, frequent hand washing? Yes.

Shutting down society and everyone hiding in their homes? Absolutely not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies