Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2020, 06:16 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,463,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
The problem is that someone in authority has an already preconceived view that EVERYONE in that neighborhood is a criminal.......and uses "numbers" to back up their prejudicial claim! I believe it's called "predictive policing." That, plus the whole "broken windows" phenomena has been problematic, from the start. The numbers in certain areas are high, hit 'em hard, by any means necessary, regardless if innocent folk get affected!
First of all, he's a black professor - I don't know how much authority he has.

Secondly, he never said EVERYONE, he's talking about odds and predictability - or predictive policing, as you say. Everyone profiles for safety and if you don't - you have no street smarts. A woman walking down a dark empty street at night hears heavy footsteps behind her and she's going to cross the street to see if she's followed. That's just one example.

The odds of a cop being shot by a black male in rougher neighborhoods is higher than it is in a suburb or white neighborhood. That's an important fact to have when your life is on the line.

Who are you blaming for the broken windows theory? Broken windows and crime leads to more broken windows and crime? Are you suggesting police are at fault?

Old 08-01-2020, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
HR is probably less effective than making a good hire and proving them wrong. Though, I wouldn’t fault anyone for filing an HR complaint.
A good hire? NEVER rely on HR to even HELP you screen candidates. That's a whole other thread I could go on and on about, but wrong forum.

No, I would have gone to HR to register a complaint against those employees for racial discrimination. If there's a legal department, I would have bypassed HR and gone straight to them.

Old 08-01-2020, 06:20 PM

37,941 posts, read 17,732,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
So you admit all blacks don't share the same statistics. So its not a black thing after all,...ha............................. ha...............................indeed
lol Because 75% of all black children are raised in a single parent family and single parent children earn less money, are less educated, and have a higher rate of crime. Doesn't matter which race. Children raised by 2 parents perform better in life.

Old 08-01-2020, 06:26 PM

18,399 posts, read 7,000,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko_complex24 View Post
I agree with what you're saying, but Eddie has a point on the wealth disparates that we see today and how they can be traced back to black people being denied government subsidized fha mortgages post WW2. Someone's house is the greatest asset and form of wealth for much of the middle class.

I don't agree with him on the sub prime mortgages that happened back in 2008.

How much money your grandpa made or what type of loan he was able to get in 1946 has little to nothing to do with your financial situation today.

My grandfather was a millionaire in the post depression 30's through the 50''s but he lost it all before being able to hand any of it down to my father or me. He ended up making shoes in the same factory that he used to own and died practically penniless.

What happened to him has absolutely no bearing on my life whatsoever.

Old 08-01-2020, 06:29 PM

37,941 posts, read 17,732,136 times
Quote:
That’s certainly a factor.

It’s ironic that we have a “race is everything” left and a “race isn’t a factor” right. The truth is somewhere in between. BLM has a vested interest in overstating the problem; they’re after a power grab, not a good faith addressing of racial issues. The right knee jerks into claiming racism is nil and you should just be a model minority and there’s nothing to see here.

The whole point of this article is to say that THERE IS a race problem. But it IS NOT the dismal problem that BLM claims. Whites aren’t hunting blacks. Blacks were specifically excluded from white society for so long, yet we wonder why the black community feels so alien to us.

If there’s a problem in race relations, whites did set it up. The problem now is in the excesses of its backlash. The solution isn’t to retreat into some sort of innocence on why things are the way they are, it’s to mute the shouty voices on the edge and come together as humans and figure out what’s wrong and the best way to address it for all involved.
It's been almost 60 years since the Civil Rights Acts were passed. There have been tremendous gains since then, Unfortunately the war on poverty which came about at the same time, has hurt the poor and blacks are the highest percentage of the poor. It has increased the single parenthood rate for all races especially blacks The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

We self segregate. It's voluntary. Blacks hang around blacks. It doesn't mean they are racist towards whites, it means they prefer blacks. Men hang around men, doesn't mean they don't like women. A preference.

Asians perform better in life than whites. Is that racism? Or is that because they have a high rate of 2 parent families?

Old 08-01-2020, 06:29 PM

8,339 posts, read 4,581,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
A good hire? NEVER rely on HR to even HELP you screen candidates. That's a whole other thread I could go on and on about, but wrong forum.

No, I would have gone to HR to register a complaint against those employees for racial discrimination. If there's a legal department, I would have bypassed HR and gone straight to them.
Maybe so. I have never worked in a professional environment. I drive trucks currently, worked retail and other stuff before. HR is far away and gossip is close. It would almost never occur to me to go to HR.

Old 08-01-2020, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Maybe so. I have never worked in a professional environment. I drive trucks currently, worked retail and other stuff before. HR is far away and gossip is close. It would almost never occur to me to go to HR.
Well, don't take my post as a sign that you can actually ever trust HR to keep anything confident, because you can't. They're there to protect the company - not employees. So I want to caution you about that since you have no prior experience with them.

If I didn't go to HR, I definitely would have calmly just said to those telling you not to hire her, 'You know that's illegal that you're suggesting her name is too black and I shouldn't hire her, right?' And then just let the silence speak for itself. Or I'd play dumb and ask, 'What's wrong with her name exactly?'

Of course, they'd probably laugh and tell you they were just kidding.

Old 08-01-2020, 06:37 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,462,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
So a black Ivy League economist, quoting statistics, is a white supremacist? I thought by posting an article by a black man, the lefties would stop with the “racist,” “white supremacists” nonsense. Ironically, you are demonstrating exactly what that professor is pointing out - and advancing this myth of systemic racism.
To deny the existence of systemic racism is disingenuous.

The systemic racism is called Affirmative Action which says black people are to stupid to compete with others and we must help them.

Old 08-01-2020, 06:37 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,609,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post

Langston Oklahoma, a "black area " 92% black has a crime rate between 29%-70% lower than the national average. There are about 13 of these small black towns left in Oklahoma. Wealthy predominately black communities have similar stats. Its small, big deal its still over 1000 black people who don't share the same crime stats as an area of Detroit or Chicago with 1000 black people. What gives?
Two parent households & lack of thug culture.

Last edited by Yac; 11-12-2020 at 05:17 AM..

Old 08-01-2020, 06:39 PM

8,339 posts, read 4,581,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
It's been almost 60 years since the Civil Rights Acts were passed. There have been tremendous gains since then, Unfortunately the war on poverty which came about at the same time, has hurt the poor and blacks are the highest percentage of the poor. It has increased the single parenthood rate for all races especially blacks The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

We self segregate. It's voluntary. Blacks hang around blacks. It doesn't mean they are racist towards whites, it means they prefer blacks. Men hang around men, doesn't mean they don't like women. A preference.

Asians preform better in life than whites. Is that racism? Or is that because they have a high rate of 2 parent families?
Magically passing past-due legislation doesn’t magically undo hundreds of years of separation. 60 years of legal equality isn’t much to overcome 400ish years of forced segregation. How do you think it will end up as anything other than self-segregation? Anyone kept apart for even a generation will develop a pretty distinct subculture, and you can’t exactly blame someone from that subculture for being a bit flippant about signing up for the culture which put his or her kind down for a good long while.

Now, I agree that LBJ’s war in poverty accelerated some rather unfortunate trends. But that’s again white guys screwing things up. The drug war was kind of the same story.

There’s a lot of history here. I would hope we can put this behind us soon, but it’s there and we stand in the shadows of it.

Is BLM the answer? I’m going to say no. But don’t just deny everything. It wouldn’t be a voice at all if there weren’t a kernel of truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies