Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2020, 08:07 AM

4,027 posts, read 2,711,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Yes, in the Navy, a few starting in boot camp had that, all that I knew that had a no shave chit, they were all black guys, I guess they are more prone to such issues shaving close.
Yep--the sergeant I served with was also a black man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2020, 08:09 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times
Well, if he ever has to get a seal on a respirator of any sort he'll wish he didnt have the chin wig. Grooming regs are NOT just for appearance in the military.

Old 08-02-2020, 08:13 AM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Well, if he ever has to get a seal on a respirator of any sort he'll wish he didnt have the chin wig. Grooming regs are NOT just for appearance in the military.
Or gas masks, which was always one of the main reasons beards were not allowed in the military. It could cost you your life and put others on your squad at risk.

Old 08-02-2020, 08:24 AM

4,027 posts, read 2,711,590 times
Quote:
Agreed. The folks with medical reasons (like I mentioned above) are one thing, since they have to keep their beards short as possible, but the folks who are doing it for religious reasons should have to adhere to that standard as well.

Old 08-02-2020, 08:28 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,721,455 times
Quote:
When went in the Navy circa 1979 you could still have beards. Then they said no more early/mid 80's. No way you could get an OBA on much less a O2 mask! Of course you could get a profile for "bump's" etc. Why worry about it? if he croaks because he couldn't get a rebreather on thats the will of Allah right?

Old 08-02-2020, 08:35 AM

4,190 posts, read 2,501,136 times
What's the big deal? This policy started in 2014. Observant Sikhs can wear their hair long and in a turban, Jewish military personnel can wear a kippah. The Navy is short almost 10,000 sailors; those serving in the 7th Fleet are on 100 hour a week shifts due to the shortages. That this young man wants to serve is to be commended.

Historically, the US Navy has revised its grooming policies many times. Take a look at some of these former admirals:

https://news.usni.org/2014/10/23/bri...oming-u-s-navy

Regarding the Navy changing the rule in 1984, as Sec. of the Navy Lehman said, it was for aesthetics, not as Admiral Watkins said for safety.

There are some contingencies regarding respirators and beards, but beards can be trimmed to not interfere with the area of the seal. A trimmed four inch beard should not interfere with the respirator. Now if the beard was a long as Admiral Walkers' that would be a problem.

Last edited by webster; 08-02-2020 at 08:44 AM..

Old 08-02-2020, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
When went in the Navy circa 1979 you could still have beards. Then they said no more early/mid 80's. No way you could get an OBA on much less a O2 mask! Of course you could get a profile for "bump's" etc. Why worry about it? if he croaks because he couldn't get a rebreather on thats the will of Allah right?
Replying to Pilot and Indigohere as well we have a quorum. LOL. I've worn a beard personally for a long time. However when I worked for the Army I had to qualify for a full face HEPA for asbestos certification.

I ran into situations quite a few times over the years where I had to shave clean while at work. The clinic kept razors (such as they were) for such occasions.

I did a PNP over bleeding shaving Nick's more than once. But I had the option to go shave and then go in. We weren't in a combat job. And asbestos isnt Sarin or toxic smoke.

These religious grooming exemptions I'm afraid I have to frown on. God has been exempting warriors from all the rules all the time for millennia. One can practice their faith and be true to God without looking like Charles Manson or Jason Mamoa.

This is the US Navy, Army Marine Corp. Air Force, Coast Guard. Not the civilian world. Cut your hair, shave your face and be ready for combat 24/7/365.

For the folks who say this is no big deal, maybe so. In your world. But on a combat Naval vessel of the US Navy this sailors shipmates lives may very well depend on his ability to don a respiratory device.

Which CANNOT be done properly with a beard.

Old 08-02-2020, 10:51 AM

3,976 posts, read 1,988,572 times
I still dont see any responses here of how a practical solution was made regarding long facial hair and gas mask seals.

Old 08-02-2020, 02:28 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,655,217 times
One rule for all, rather than relenting for childish superstitions.

Old 08-02-2020, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snebarekim View Post
I still dont see any responses here of how a practical solution was made regarding long facial hair and gas mask seals.
Lol, that's because there isnt one. The only way you MIGHT get a PNP fit is by slapping a whole jar of Vaseline or some such on the beard a d hoping for the best.

Personally if I were the one wearing the stars on my collar there would be ZERO exemptions on facial and long hair. Medically exempt? Or "not fit for duty?"

Not in a combat role for sure. In the rear with the gear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies