Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2020, 07:57 AM

30,160 posts, read 11,789,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
And Northern non-slave owners used it to justify NOT having slaves

People can twist just about anything to suit their needs

The 10 commandments says you need to treat servants that you own (aka slaves) correctly. No twisting needed on that. There other passages speaking of bible characters who owned slaves with no negative judgement of that fact and the value of slaves in trade. At the time the bible was written slave ownership was common and considered acceptable. Therefore it was not forbidden in the bible. And that had a big impact on slavery in America.

A simple commandment "man shall not own other men" would have prevented the suffering of millions or more people and made the protests today unnecessary.

Old 08-03-2020, 08:08 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmom2 View Post
I'm not--I said it may be your right to do so. But what is the significance of burning Bibles...that is the question. If you are having a bonfire of Bibles you purchased, I would assume it is because you are making a statement about Christianity.
I would assume every public destruction of an item - from blowing up disco records at Wrigley Field, to burning Lebron James jerseys in OH, to these knuckleheads burning Bibles in OR is meant to convey a message.

Big whoop.

As long as they aren't destroying someone else's property against the property owner's will, more power to them.

Old 08-03-2020, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
Well your a big boy hooligan...Look it up
My big boy what, now?

I'm not the one making an issue over the book burning - so I'm not doing someone else's homework. Hard pass.

Old 08-03-2020, 08:13 AM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
I guess the BLM thugs finally ran out of things to loot. All that's left are the book stores.
All the haters can come out and protest or riot and hurt people or damage property, and they will be protected and left alone. If anyone just shows up at one of the BLM protests, they are beyond the touch of the law.

Old 08-03-2020, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
I am sure it is, unless it is Democrat bounty from the lootings.

Can someone please answer the simple question - is burning books in the middle of the road while blocking traffic normally legal? Yes or no?

Is burning books normally considered liberal or illiberal?

I would assume burning things in the street is illegal. Not really germane to the discussion being had, but whatever.

Is burning something in protest liberal or illiberal? Dunno. Bra burning in the 60s seemed pretty liberal. Same with the burning of draft cards. Burning the flag? Depends on who's doing it, I would think. Vietnam protesters here were probably pretty liberal. Iranians burning it in Tehran? Probably more illiberal.

Old 08-03-2020, 09:03 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,717,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
The 10 commandments says you need to treat servants that you own (aka slaves) correctly. No twisting needed on that.
No such commandment

You're getting confused with Colossians 4:1

Old 08-03-2020, 10:00 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
What does that have to do with my post?

Were these protesters burning their own property or someone else's?
well, they could have recycled them instead of putting more CO into the atmosphere.

Old 08-03-2020, 10:01 AM

26,497 posts, read 15,074,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
I would assume burning things in the street is illegal. Not really germane to the discussion being had, but whatever.

Is burning something in protest liberal or illiberal? Dunno. Bra burning in the 60s seemed pretty liberal. Same with the burning of draft cards. Burning the flag? Depends on who's doing it, I would think. Vietnam protesters here were probably pretty liberal. Iranians burning it in Tehran? Probably more illiberal.
It is perfectly germane that these are lawless people.

Burning a bra is not the same as Nazi-Democrat book burning in my mind.

Nazi-Democrat book burning is saying we don't tolerate diversity of thought.

We already have cancel culture being pushed by Democrats to ruin people's lives over differing thoughts now we are burning Ayn Rand's books in the middle of the street.

Democrats have become illiberal.

Old 08-03-2020, 10:01 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmarkblue View Post
It they can burn a Bible. Than it is my Right to burn books too. Let me burn white fragility and how to be a. Anti racist and let's see how enraged these activists and the media will be.
did anybody actually go do this yesterday and broadcast it on Twitter?

Old 08-03-2020, 10:06 AM

Quote:
It is perfectly germane that these are lawless people.
OK. So, it's the physical location of the burning of these Bibles that you're taking issue with, then? If so, I agree with you, they shouldn't be doing it in the middle of a public street.

Quote:
Burning a bra is not the same as Nazi-Democrat book burning in my mind.
Shocker.

Burning an item in protest is burning an item in protest, in my mind. Why should this be different?

Quote:
We already have cancel culture being pushed by Democrats to ruin people's lives over differing thoughts now we are burning Ayn Rand's books in the middle of the street.

Democrats have become illiberal.

Ayn Rand wrote the Bible? Huh, never heard of the "New Rand Version" of the Bible before. Neat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies