Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2020, 09:35 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,594,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I find this funny. After all the whining the left has done about home schooling and one parent staying home, ("I shouldn't have to stay home with my kids if I want a career!") are now advocating for home schooling and one parent staying home.

Honestly, I'm all for it. Having a parent around the kid all the time is GOOD for the kid. Plus, the parent will know exactly what that child is being taught in school, because they will be home to hear it all. And they will also take a more invested interest in their child's education since that's the reason they're at home with their kids.

LOL, please Dems...make this happen.
I do agree with you on this, its much better for the kids to be learning what their parents are teaching them! Im pretty sure majority of parents could come up with better lessons than the schools could, and of course, they could tailor the lessons to their children specifically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2020, 09:37 AM

1,154 posts, read 366,560 times
I would like to see this country commit to a full shut down, including schools, for two-to-three months with contact tracing and support for businesses and individuals who are out of work. We can shut down this virus if we’re willing to take the hit in the short term. Then, the kids can return to school and adults can return to work without fear. My children have deferred returning to college this year and will stay home with us. It sucks. We have been isolating for five months, but because others won’t, the suffering continues.

Old 08-02-2020, 09:39 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,381,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
https://thehill.com/homenews/campaig...pening-schools

Dems planning on fighting the opening of schools.

Sad part of the article is that it seems their policy choices are all based on polls as opposed to fear of the virus or concern about students or working parents.
Yes, we're not willing to sacrifice our kids for Trump's reelection.

Old 08-02-2020, 09:43 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,794,120 times
School closings during a pandemic? Nothing new. They were closed for 4 months during the Spanish flu H1N1 pandemic. The schools opened up with teenagers first. They are more disciplined than the young ones that can't keep masks on for ten minutes and can't social distance. We had schools closing during the N1N1 2009 pandemic as well. It's the right thing to do.

Nobody is arguing that the schools need to open, but , it has to be done in a safe way and the right way. Not with some political knee jerk decision. The teachers are afraid, and rightfully so. How do you ban social gatherings in doors and open up schools in hot zones? Well, like it or not, you can't. Just as they couldn't in 1918 and schools closed in 2009. It is what it is, and we have to deal with it the right way.

Old 08-02-2020, 09:44 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,397,020 times
Yes, it’s really really terrible of those democrats to want to make sure that the adults in the schools as well as those that kids go home to stay alive. Awful. What kind of people worry about people dying? Sociopaths.

We have public schools in this country that can’t afford adequate cleaning supplies under the best of circumstances. But sure, send everyone back.

Some schools will be able to implement plans and pay for the added precautions and some won’t. No need to rush everyone back at the expense of lives. Everyone wants kids back in school which is why there is so much debate on how to do it. I haven’t heard anyone arguing for not opening that is not also trying to figure out the right way to do so. My kids are going back to school and I’m a liberal because their private schools have the resources, space, and numbers to do so properly.

Last edited by STL74; 08-02-2020 at 09:55 AM..

Old 08-02-2020, 09:52 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
https://thehill.com/homenews/campaig...pening-schools

Dems planning on fighting the opening of schools.

Sad part of the article is that it seems their policy choices are all based on polls as opposed to fear of the virus or concern about students or working parents.
I live in a Republican area. The local unified district is going 100% virtual, for the remainder of the year. The elected board made the decision.

It does not have an adequate number of teachers and the pool of subs is inadequate. One of the reported reasons for an inadequate number of teachers is their own inability to find Childcare for their own children.

Then there are the buses. It outsources busing to a third party. There are not enough buses to enable social distancing.

Parents seem split on the decision, either strongly support or oppose. Those with strong feelings are expected to demonstrate their support or opposition this coming week during a school board meeting.

One adjacent school district in a more liberal community is going to attempt to open, provided numbers don’t spike.

Another adjacent community, is going to attempt a 50-50 plan and try to please everyone.

The political leanings of a community don’t seem to have much to do with outcomes, in my neck of the woods.

Old 08-02-2020, 09:58 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,594,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I live in a Republican area. The local unified district is going 100% virtual, for the remainder of the year. The elected board made the decision.

It does not have an adequate number of teachers and the pool of subs is inadequate. One of the reported reasons for an inadequate number of teachers is their own inability to find Childcare for their own children.

Then there are the buses. It outsources busing to a third party. There are not enough buses to enable social distancing.

Parents seem split on the decision, either strongly support or oppose. Those with strong feelings are expected to demonstrate their support or opposition this coming week during a school board meeting.

One adjacent school district in a more liberal community is going to attempt to open, provided numbers don’t spike.

Another adjacent community, is going to attempt a 50-50 plan and try to please everyone.

The political leanings of a community don’t seem to have much to do with outcomes, in my neck of the woods.
I know a lady that drives a school bus, she told me last week, they dont think their jobs will ever be coming back! the districts cannot afford to buy a new fleet of buses as to accommodate social distancing, there is going to be alot of people out of work suddenly here soon.

Old 08-02-2020, 10:01 AM
bu2 bu2 started this thread

24,098 posts, read 14,879,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbottkd71 View Post
I would like to see this country commit to a full shut down, including schools, for two-to-three months with contact tracing and support for businesses and individuals who are out of work. We can shut down this virus if we’re willing to take the hit in the short term. Then, the kids can return to school and adults can return to work without fear. My children have deferred returning to college this year and will stay home with us. It sucks. We have been isolating for five months, but because others won’t, the suffering continues.
And then the virus will return first time someone from overseas steps off a plane or drives or walks or swims across the border. Of course, reality is that many people would ignore the rules and it would never disappear.

The early studies predicting the 2 million deaths showed the absolute worst case was a total shutdown. When you finally came back open, the 2nd outbreak was as bad as the first. Total shutdown was the way to maximize deaths. We aren't an island.

Old 08-02-2020, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbottkd71 View Post
This morning, Admiral and MD, Giroir, from Trump’s Covid task force made the rounds of the morning shows to communicate how to beat the virus:

Avoid indoor gatherings

Mask- up ( need 85-90% compliance rate in hot zones)

Social distance

Wash hands

He acknowledged more needs to be done to improve testing turnaround time.

I have no idea how most schools can achieve school busing and in class learning without doubling the number of buses and physical footprint.

Private schools seem to be a mixed bag, too. Barron Tump’s school will be 100% virtual learning for the time being, despite a $45,000 annual tuition.

Old 08-02-2020, 10:14 AM

Quote:
And then the virus will return first time someone from overseas steps off a plane or drives or walks or swims across the border. Of course, reality is that many people would ignore the rules and it would never disappear.

The early studies predicting the 2 million deaths showed the absolute worst case was a total shutdown. When you finally came back open, the 2nd outbreak was as bad as the first. Total shutdown was the way to maximize deaths. We aren't an island.
The worst case projections ASSUMED no controls or change in personal behaviors.

Trump has repeatedly taken credit for saving a million lives because federal guidelines compelled hard hit states to act and changes in personal behaviors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies