Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2020, 10:28 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,575,119 times

Advertisements

They're beneficial when you're in close proximity to someone who's infected or in a congested area where there is lot of people contributing virus particles to the air. Netherlands just ordered face masks in busy public areas in addition to the standing order to wear them in public transportation. That's why they're in heavy use in Asia which is heavily urbanized like the Netherlands.

If you read the original post, it's heavily qualified. The doctors believe people with masks ignore avoiding crowds.

In the end, masks protect you from 70-95 percent of the particles depending on the type of mask. If the number of particles in the air are such that they overwhelm the defenses, the wearer of the mask will still get sick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2020, 10:42 AM

4,661 posts, read 1,953,608 times
the science is iffy in how effective what we are doing is. But here's the thing, if it is even partially effective how difficult is it to really wear a mask? It's annoying sure and if you have breathing difficulties it does cause trouble. But if it reduce the spread of Covid just a small amount is it really worth not doing. It's almost childish how some people are like "don't tell me what to do". It's time to be adults I know it sucks but suck it up. I'll say the same thing to those who hate Trump and are immediately yell NO over hydroxychloroquine, the science is iffy here too but there is enough evidence it helps that it should be available if someone wants it and their Doctor agrees.

Old 08-02-2020, 11:08 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 3 days ago)

27,182 posts, read 13,469,799 times
The general consensus among scientists is that they help cut transmission, however you are always going to find the occasional scientist with a different view.

As for Holland it is merely one province of the Netherlands and is a bit like referring to the UK as England.

Old 08-02-2020, 11:10 AM

9,546 posts, read 7,073,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remco67 View Post
the science is iffy in how effective what we are doing is. But here's the thing, if it is even partially effective how difficult is it to really wear a mask? It's annoying sure and if you have breathing difficulties it does cause trouble. But if it reduce the spread of Covid just a small amount is it really worth not doing. It's almost childish how some people are like "don't tell me what to do". It's time to be adults I know it sucks but suck it up.
I keep seeing this same type of comment on here.

I don’t see anyone not wearing a mask indoors. Who is this comment directed to? And please don’t say Herman Cain.

Old 08-02-2020, 11:11 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,949,172 times
We are 6 months in ... and so many NOT wearing masks ....

Why aren't they all DEAD YET?

Looking for a scientifically based answer that considers why non make wearers are still alive, all 200 million+ people in the USA.

Please show data re all the recent and massive protests in the USA.

Old 08-02-2020, 11:20 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,656,546 times
If one closely observes the way many politicians are wearing a mask they will see its not worn or handled properly !!! No effort is made to use a seal across/around the nose !!! Its easily seen !!!
Its used more as a prop than a proper protection !!!
We know why they do it !!! Wearing it improperly allows the hot breath to vent and makes it more comfortable but decreases effectiveness !!! Show ponies = politicians improperly wearing mask !!!

I don't care who it is that does it, wearing a mask hanging from one ear looks stupid !!!

Old 08-02-2020, 01:57 PM

4,661 posts, read 1,953,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
I keep seeing this same type of comment on here.

I don’t see anyone not wearing a mask indoors. Who is this comment directed to? And please don’t say Herman Cain.
you don't see anyone not wearing a mask "indoors"? i imagine you meant Outdoors here as for who is not wearing masks. If your name is accurate i wonder where in NC you are. I am near Charlotte and at least half the people i see at some stores are not wearing them. Although the type of stores seems to matter. Went to Publix last week in Matthews everybody wore a mask, went to Food Lion yesterday in Monroe and many people walked around without them and ignored the signs saying one direction in the aisle. So there are certainly folks out there who are ignoring it. I do wonder if socio-economic status matters, for those who wouldn't know Matthews and Publix are much higher on the socio-economic food chain then Monroe and Food Lion.

Old 08-02-2020, 02:02 PM

37,972 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
This is the common sense you never see from the mask Nazis.
My governor just signed a law, ordering everyone at their work place to wear a mask while indoors, or suffer a $200 fine. If I am working in a lab or room all by my lonesome, I must disregard logic and wear a damn mask for eight hours anyway?

He was magnanimous and said we didn't need to wear a mask if we were alone in our car. How nice of him.

Old 08-02-2020, 02:05 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,488,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
They're beneficial when you're in close proximity to someone who's infected or in a congested area where there is lot of people contributing virus particles to the air. Netherlands just ordered face masks in busy public areas in addition to the standing order to wear them in public transportation. That's why they're in heavy use in Asia which is heavily urbanized like the Netherlands.

If you read the original post, it's heavily qualified. The doctors believe people with masks ignore avoiding crowds.

In the end, masks protect you from 70-95 percent of the particles depending on the type of mask.

If the number of particles in the air are such that they overwhelm the defenses, the wearer of the mask will still get sick.
ABSOLUTELY masks protect the wearer - and when they don't 100%, you may not get as sick, either - because viral load matters. ANY protection is better than none.

Ever since I read this in March:

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/scie...tance-and-stay

I'm a mask wearer. Only the people NOT WEARING MASKS on that bus were INFECTED.

Also - I'm not a Mask Nazi. Other people want to be stupid, I ignore them and stay far away.

Old 08-02-2020, 02:07 PM

37,972 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
If one closely observes the way many politicians are wearing a mask they will see its not worn or handled properly !!! No effort is made to use a seal across/around the nose !!! Its easily seen !!!
Its used more as a prop than a proper protection !!!
We know why they do it !!! Wearing it improperly allows the hot breath to vent and makes it more comfortable but decreases effectiveness !!! Show ponies = politicians improperly wearing mask !!!

I don't care who it is that does it, wearing a mask hanging from one ear looks stupid !!!
It's meant to pacify the masses, so we think we are preventing viral infection by slapping on a homemade cloth mask.

I wonder how much harmful bacteria builds up on a damp cloth mask over eight hours? Sounds like a bad outcome, if we are doing this for days, weeks and months on end. Especially when so many people will touch that bacteria loaded mask, then touch their eyes, nose, or the common surfaces we come in contact with at work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies