Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2020, 09:38 AM

29,946 posts, read 18,515,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Dershowitz: The Age of Consent Must Be Lowered, ‘Statutory Rape Is An Outdated Concept’

https://newspunch.com/dershowitz-age...4N04_Aw4IRrUO0

Alan Dershowitz, who stands accused of having sex with multiple alleged Jeffrey Epstein victims, says “statutory rape is an outdated concept” and there should be “Romeo and Juliet exceptions” to statutory rape law.

The age of consent should be lowered to as young as 14 because “voluntary sex is so common in their age group“, according to Dershowitz who published an op-ed titled “Statutory Rape Is An Outdated Concept” in the late 90s.

Years later, Dershowitz defended the column on Twitter, at an awkward time: Dershowitz was a member of the team that got convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein a plea deal that sent him to prison for 18 months in 2007, a sentence that was described as “the deal of the century” amid claims he should have received a much longer sentence.

Dershowitz suggests the age of consent should be lowered to 15, or even 14. Facing a barrage of criticism — for his handling of the Epstein plea deal, for the allegations against him and now for this column — Dershowitz has remained unapologetic.

Where's #metoo???? **crickets**
The dem party is full of pedophiles. They would reduce the age of consent to eight if they could.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2020, 09:45 AM

13,449 posts, read 4,780,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
The dem party is full of pedophiles. They would reduce the age of consent to eight if they could.
Democrats? Did you forget that Dershowitz was part of Trump's defense team?

Old 08-04-2020, 09:47 AM

18,273 posts, read 8,069,787 times
...and yet....some of the hyphenated American cultures still have child brides

Old 08-04-2020, 09:48 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,267,957 times
Quote:
Dershowitz: The Age of Consent Must Be Lowered, ‘Statutory Rape Is An Outdated Concept’ — Dershowitz has remained unapologetic.
Dershowitz should remain unapologetic. Statutory rape is an outdated concept and Age of Consent laws are a fairly recent concept, especially setting the age as high as 18. Any criminal defense lawyer can tell you nightmare stories about dealing with what is and isn't consent. The laws are a mess and need to be rewritten

If you truly favor 18 as the Age of Consent, how do you enforce the law? On whom do you enforce it?

If you are going to try the "oh I'm okay with two 15 year olds having sex, but not a 15 year old and a 30 year old"; how do you presume to tell the 15 year old who they can and cannot have sex with? Isn't that akin to telling a man he can't have sex with another man? Or telling a white woman she cannot have sex with a black man?

Either the 15 year old has the maturity to make life decisions like this or they do not.

Personally, I don't think they do, but everything in our current culture enables more and more sexual activity at younger and younger ages. but that is a different C-D conversation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
I think the age of consent should be 18 in every state.
See above. On whom do you [plan to enforce it and how do you enforce the it?

Old 08-04-2020, 09:55 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,443,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remco67 View Post
it is an iffy thing as it does seem an awful lot of kids are having sex at 14 or 15 these days. just not something most parents like to think about. The reality is sex is everywhere in everyones face and with the internet there is no mystery about it to any kid of any age. Many, many moons ago when i was 18 a friends 14 year old sister tried to seduce me multiple times, frankly she was very cute with the looks i have always liked. She was way more experienced sexually then i was but even at 18 the first thing that flashed thru my head was I would be going to jail. It got real awkward there for a while.
Thats not something new though, I had my first experience when i was 13 yrs old, with a girl who was 14 and ALOT more experienced. (this was back in the mid 80s). Many of my school friends were having their first sexual encounters around the 13-15 yr age range too, we all talked about it with each other of course!

Heck, I remember running with a group of friends when I was 16, 17, some of these kids had been with over 100 people by the time they were 16!! (this was not uncommon at all, girls AND boys)

Old 08-04-2020, 09:57 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,045,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
Democrats? Did you forget that Dershowitz was part of Trump's defense team?
Just a minor detail.

Old 08-04-2020, 09:58 AM

101 posts, read 37,567 times
the age of consent must be equal to the legal age of majority ... more than just ...

Old 08-04-2020, 09:59 AM

13,262 posts, read 7,944,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I will admit, it is strange age of consent are still fairly high, considering that so many politicians engage in sexual behavior with the underage...why would they not lower the age of consent and in doing so, protect themselves from prosecution too?!
Because they want to get re-elected.

Old 08-04-2020, 10:09 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,483,367 times
Pedophiles are sexually attracted to prepubescent children.

For most of history, throughout the world, a female was deemed ready at the onset of puberty. For most of history, females had no say in terms of consent to sex or marriage.

Age of consent is a different matter and has all to do with legal competency.

For most of US history, the most commonly observed age of consent was 10 years. In 1880, 37 states had an age of 10 years while 10 states had age 12. Delaware was the outlier and In 1871 reduced the age of consent from 10 to age 7.

Child marriage is legal in 49 states with parental consent or court order.

Delaware is the outlier and makes no exception for marriage under age 18.

Old 08-04-2020, 10:13 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,299,996 times
Quote:
The age of consent should be lowered to as young as 14 because “voluntary sex is so common in their age group“, according to Dershowitz who published an op-ed titled “Statutory Rape Is An Outdated Concept” in the late 90s.
Does he not understand the difference between two teens having sex, and an adult person having sex with a teenager?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies