Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2020, 12:56 PM

15,828 posts, read 6,536,770 times

Advertisements

Superhero landing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2020, 01:02 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,379,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Superhero landing.
Attached Thumbnails
Ryan Reynolds Says He and Blake Lively Are "Unreservedly Sorry" for Their Plantation Wedding-superhero.gif  

Old 08-04-2020, 01:15 PM

18,439 posts, read 8,268,923 times
I had fried chicken and watermelon for lunch...just shoot me

Old 08-04-2020, 01:21 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Well, I can say this. I would never want to have a plantation-themed wedding. My ancestors didn't have a say whether they wanted to work on plantations or not.

Old 08-04-2020, 01:38 PM

17,003 posts, read 12,589,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Well, I can say this. I would never want to have a plantation-themed wedding. My ancestors didn't have a say whether they wanted to work on plantations or not.
Your choice. Neither would I but for me it is a "meh" thing. I'm not a big fan of the antebellum south.

Unless they had an all black serving crew dressed up as slaves doing the serving, they have nothing to apologize for. Their pandering is weak and the whole cancel culture thing pushing it is quasi fascist.

Old 08-04-2020, 01:51 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Your choice. Neither would I but for me it is a "meh" thing. I'm not a big fan of the antebellum south.

Unless they had an all black serving crew dressed up as slaves doing the serving, they have nothing to apologize for. Their pandering is weak and the whole cancel culture thing pushing it is quasi fascist.
I have deep hatred for the antebellum period of the South. In fact, I have deep hatred for any time period in the South before 1970. Outside of the architectural style of the buildings, I can't muster any love for it. Personally, I hear the apology, and I don't view it as fascism or pandering.

Old 08-04-2020, 01:57 PM

13,955 posts, read 5,621,810 times
Obvious defense virtue signaling is obvious.

I would tell him to his face that I don't buy a single word of his shame/apology/etc, yet totally respect the "why" of his rank insincerity from a pragmatic capitalism perspective.

He and his wife make their bones off being popular. Period, the end. Hits to their popularity are hits to their financial bottom line. Thus, insincere virtue signaling is a line item on both of their job descriptions.

And I'll still see his movies because, like Tom Cruise, just about every movie Reynolds is in is a good, fun waste of 1.5-2 hours. Can't really think of anything I have seen him I don't like. So he's another rank and file defensive virtue signaling white guy? WGAFF?

Old 08-04-2020, 02:18 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,379,218 times
You know, it is possible, that they simply are sorry for glorifying/promoting/whatever the image of a plantation with all its historical baggage and simply hadn't considered the implications or "optics" before now.

Old 08-04-2020, 03:01 PM

315 posts, read 116,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
You know, it is possible, that they simply are sorry for glorifying/promoting/whatever the image of a plantation with all its historical baggage and simply hadn't considered the implications or "optics" before now.

Unless they were actively parading black people around in chains or something, I'm not sure how they were "glorifying" the pre-1865 image of what a plantation was.

Are people who visit and take photo ops at the pyramids glorifying the slavery that took place there? Are people who visit European castles glorying the torture and barbaric practices that constantly took place within their walls?

History is just that. People need to get a grip and stop acting like history gives a crap about poorly adjusted 21st century people's imbalanced emotional reactions to it. What's done is done and your life today has no bearing on what happened 160+ years ago, nor should it be seen as some simplistic reflection of it.

Old 08-04-2020, 03:12 PM

2,984 posts, read 1,748,885 times
If Reynolds thinks dropping to his knees and begging forgiveness from these violent America-hating leftists, he's out of his mind. If anything, its going to get worse now that he's brought attention to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies