Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2020, 11:33 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,552 posts, read 16,542,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
Yeah, I'm sidestepping!

I'm not the one who said a house built in 1936 was built by slaves.
I have no problem admitting I assumed it was the original home. That doesnt change anything about the context being discussed now does it.

Slaves still build the original home, plowed the fields their, and the owners seem to be charging for tours of the property to teach everyone about how wrongly slaves were treated.

You are making the argument that it is ok, because it isnt the original house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2020, 02:06 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,088,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
No I wouldn’t want to have a wedding on a former plantation.

I wouldn’t even go to one.

I wouldn’t have a wedding or attend one on old Native American burial grounds or on the site of a former concentration camp.
And it seems you don't want anyone else to be able to either. Should the buildings be burned and the land plowed under and salted so nothing else ever grows there? Perhaps the owners should fund inner city social programs as they beg forgiveness for eternity? Maybe build monuments on the land to Minneapolis street thugs where whites can kneel, those who never owned slaves asking for pardon from those who never were slaves?

Looks like a beautiful venue for a wedding.

Old 08-05-2020, 02:38 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
It's a big old structure on land that farms, and is used as events venue. If we can't appreciate old things there is no hope for us. Methinks they are fishing for "woke points" though since they obviously understand that slavery wasn't part of the equation here and ANY location could have had something unseemly happen at some point.

Old 08-05-2020, 02:49 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I have deep hatred for the antebellum period of the South. In fact, I have deep hatred for any time period in the South before 1970. Outside of the architectural style of the buildings, I can't muster any love for it. Personally, I hear the apology, and I don't view it as fascism or pandering.

Sounds like you need to work on your harboring of "deep hatred" more than Ryan Reynolds needs to apologize for anything.

And there's nothing more fascist in today's society than cancel culture.

Old 08-05-2020, 03:09 AM

11,780 posts, read 5,795,007 times
I looked at the so called plantation and the wedding pictures. Both are gorgeous and in no way disrespecting the black man. There is nothing to apologize for. People get married in castles, at the Pyramids and in gorgeous lodges built and in forests where Indians warred hundreds of years ago. We live in 2020 - libs want to tear down history in the form of statues but they want to use that history to prohibit people from getting married at venues like this.

Old 08-05-2020, 03:12 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
a home built by slaves, maintained by slaves, and 150 years later, the descendants of slave owners are still making money off the backs of those slaves.

Yea, location itself is a problem.

So, plantation event centers are bad because there was once slavery there but a Ground Zero Mosque, insensitively mocking terrorism and mass murder is ok?

Left Wing cancel culture isn't just stupid, it's hypocritical as Hell.

Old 08-05-2020, 06:10 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruityfred11 View Post
Unless they were actively parading black people around in chains or something, I'm not sure how they were "glorifying" the pre-1865 image of what a plantation was.

Are people who visit and take photo ops at the pyramids glorifying the slavery that took place there? Are people who visit European castles glorying the torture and barbaric practices that constantly took place within their walls?

History is just that. People need to get a grip and stop acting like history gives a crap about poorly adjusted 21st century people's imbalanced emotional reactions to it. What's done is done and your life today has no bearing on what happened 160+ years ago, nor should it be seen as some simplistic reflection of it.
That's for them to decide, not you.

Old 08-05-2020, 09:02 AM

8,059 posts, read 3,945,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
I have no problem admitting I assumed it was the original home. That doesnt change anything about the context being discussed now does it.

Slaves still build the original home, plowed the fields their, and the owners seem to be charging for tours of the property to teach everyone about how wrongly slaves were treated.

You are making the argument that it is ok, because it isnt the original house.
Who do you think you're kidding, it practically killed you to admit you were wrong.

...And, I haven't made any argument yet - just corrected your factual errors.

Old 08-05-2020, 11:07 AM

315 posts, read 116,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
That's for them to decide, not you.

It's for me to decide whether or not they were parading black people around in chains at their wedding? Seems like that would be an objective detail. Either it happened or it didn't.

And if they felt like it was in fact their intention at the time to glorify slavery, then yes, they should feel contrite. Again, it's an objective detail. Either it was their intent to glorify slavery or it wasn't. Assuming the latter is the case then they have nothing to apologize for.

Old 08-05-2020, 01:32 PM

4,903 posts, read 3,361,298 times
I'm surprised if more and more people aren't completely sick of the political correctness by now...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies