Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2020, 09:08 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times

Advertisements

A county near me opened schools last week. 4 CV positive students identified in that first week in one highschool. How many students had contact with those 4? How many were on the bus with one of those 4? How many were shoulder to shoulder in the hallway between classes with one of those 4? I wonder how many we will see in the next 2 weeks?

Old 08-04-2020, 09:09 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Within a few weeks of opening, teachers will start testing positive. The students aren’t tested, but teachers will get tested. So what happens then?

This should play out fairly quickly, probably by the end of September, just as the second wave and regular flu season are starting.
I agree, that some teachers will start testing positive, and I'm in Austin also. And those teachers, prayerfully, might not be symptomatic, or if they are probably will recover.

I think we walk through the storm. I think we just soldier on. Keep swimming, keep swimming.

Walk through the storm. This is a difficult virus, but it's not very deadly unless you're in your 80's, or otherwise compromised.

The children who were at risk of being left behind academically, have now been REALLY on the edge. And that's a LOT of children, who, if we don't open our schools, will be irreparably left behind.

Old 08-04-2020, 09:13 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
A county near me opened schools last week. 4 CV positive students identified in that first week in one highschool. How many students had contact with those 4? How many were on the bus with one of those 4? How many were shoulder to shoulder in the hallway between classes with one of those 4? I wonder how many we will see in the next 2 weeks?
How many are sick? As in, beyond a little bit of illness?

Old 08-04-2020, 09:18 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
How many are sick? As in, beyond a little bit of illness?
That wasn't reported, but even asymptomatic cases can still spread the virus to others like teachers, bus drivers, parents or grandparents who may get sick.

Old 08-04-2020, 09:52 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,872,800 times
Quote:
I agree, that some teachers will start testing positive, and I'm in Austin also. And those teachers, prayerfully, might not be symptomatic, or if they are probably will recover.

I think we walk through the storm. I think we just soldier on. Keep swimming, keep swimming.

Walk through the storm. This is a difficult virus, but it's not very deadly unless you're in your 80's, or otherwise compromised.

The children who were at risk of being left behind academically, have now been REALLY on the edge. And that's a LOT of children, who, if we don't open our schools, will be irreparably left behind.
"Walk through the storm" is the same as saying sacrifice tens, if not hundreds of thousands more lives. I'm sorry, but I not as callous about such a massive loss of human life as you seem to be when you propose this.

Old 08-04-2020, 10:45 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,879,750 times
Quote:

I think we walk through the storm. I think we just soldier on. Keep swimming
I appreciate your reply. I think you may be correct that some, maybe (hopefully) most teachers might not be symptomatic or only suffer mild symptoms. And hopefully recover. But still, what is the correct thing to do when they test positive? Send them home, find a substitute? Quarantine them for 14 days? What happens if there aren’t enough substitutes? What is the plan if there aren’t enough teachers free of the virus to teach?

Old 08-05-2020, 03:52 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,627,476 times
Let’s see if Trump sends his boy back to school. We all know Trumps track record. He’s a hypocrite.

Old 08-05-2020, 07:23 AM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Overnight camp is worse than school. You are living, sleeping and eating 3 meals a day together.

Thought it was a terrible idea. Couldn't believe they were actually going to do it. Son's friend was a counselor. Caught the virus. On the other hand, I don't know of anyone who got seriously ill from it. As I recall 1/4th didn't have any symptoms at all.
My grands have asthma and allergies, I told their dad to wait. If anything happened to the kids going back to school- be GOV. DiSantis head they would want on a platter. When it comes to kids moms turn into bears.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 08-05-2020 at 05:03 PM.. Reason: Fixed formatting

Old 08-05-2020, 07:27 AM

5,209 posts, read 1,796,721 times
I don't even care anymore. It's a fraction of the education, especially for special needs kids. It's no education whatsoever for the percentage of kids who don't log on, and who don't have families to help them.

There are no good solutions. If schools open, they will certainly close within weeks due to cases. It's inevitable. If they stay closed, kids will suffer educational declines, psychological issues, and kids who are abused at home will not be seen by teachers, so abuse will be worse. Private schools and Catholic schools are closing left and right. Catholic schools are an important alternative to poor people living in bad school districts--so those are gone now, for good.

Rational public discourse about Covid has been destroyed. Thanks, media. It is impossible to make a reasoned analysis taking many factors into consideration. It's only one factor that matters: Covid cases.

I know one thing: my respect for teachers is at an all time low. Grocery store clerks SHOWED UP so we could all quarantine with potato chips and ice cream. But teachers are having protests--shoulder to shoulder-- in NYC carrying their own coffins?? Give me a break. Essential worker = essential. If the decision were made to open schools, then teachers should do at least what grocery store clerks did, and show up. I'm really glad the food workers, police, firefighters, nurses and doctors, etc. didn't have protests demanding they not go to work.

Old 08-05-2020, 07:27 AM

1,154 posts, read 366,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Let’s see if Trump sends his boy back to school. We all know Trumps track record. He’s a hypocrite.
Barron Trump is a student at a private Episcopal school that has already committed to on-line instruction for fall semester.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies