Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2020, 08:08 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,712,363 times

Advertisements

Frankly all drugs should be legalized, controlled and taxed and Uncle Sam should be the only Dealer on the block. If you want to get high great! You are easier to control when you're stoned....

Old 08-05-2020, 08:11 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,861,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
There are potential upsides and downsides with any psychoactive substance.

Are you aware there are also plenty of studies showing benefits to it?
I smoke weed and I do get benefit from it. But I won't discount what the OP has written about it increasing both blood pressure and heart rate. I've monitored both, before and after smoking, and my heart rate right after a few hits actually set off the alarm on my BP cuff. I don't kid myself that the habit is not necessarily heart healthy. It's something that has given me pause.

I have recently started to use more edibles instead of smoking as much. Some of the chocolate is really good. Maybe too good.

Old 08-05-2020, 08:17 AM

20,955 posts, read 5,537,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
I smoke weed and I do get benefit from it. But I won't discount what the OP has written about it increasing both blood pressure and heart rate. I've monitored both, before and after smoking, and my heart rate right after a few hits actually set off the alarm on my BP cuff. I don't kid myself that the habit is not necessarily heart healthy. It's something that has given me pause.

I have recently started to use more edibles instead of smoking as much. Some of the chocolate is really good. Maybe too good.

L0L! I have hated weed since I experimented with it when I was a teenager but decided to give it another try in 2011 when I was dealing with chronic pain. I baked it into some cheddar pennies, determined to use very judiciously, but they were too tasty!

Old 08-05-2020, 08:18 AM

101 posts, read 38,069 times
do not forget about secondhand smoke and the right of every person next to you not to participate in this ...

Old 08-05-2020, 08:20 AM

77,012 posts, read 47,550,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
("you" is used generically in this sentence) You'll have a lot harder time convincing potheads that their habit is bad for them than you did convincing tobacco smokers that their habit is bad for them.
Vast majority of tobacco smokers don't deny the danger. I remember the times when LOT of people smoked (myself included), and no one denied the fact that it might one day kill them.

Quote:
In fact, generally speaking, it's always the "other guy's habit" that is bad for him/her and never one's own. That's innate to our species: dictate the other guy's lifestyle as long as I'm not affected. But if I am affected in a way that I find negative, suddenly it matters.
It's about informing, not dictating. I am not a lawmaker, or a president with EO powers, so I am not in position to dictate.

Old 08-05-2020, 08:25 AM

77,012 posts, read 47,550,357 times
Quote:

No doubt smoking is worse, but the study says the THC itself causes heart issues, so it is a problem even if it is eaten.

Old 08-05-2020, 08:28 AM

14,834 posts, read 7,399,004 times
Quote:

So I look at it as, you can’t consider only one thing in isolation. Is there potential for negative heart effects from cannabis? Yes I think that is understood. But I also run and lift weights almost every day, those are immensely positive for heart health. As long as you are doing more positive things for your heart then I think most people are probably ok. For people with more serious heart conditions, their reasoning could easily be different.

Old 08-05-2020, 08:36 AM

1,744 posts, read 875,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Just say "no" folks. We already knew the psycho-toxins in pot are known to trigger mental problems, but that is not the only problem.

Weed is not good for your heart, studies say

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/05/healt...ess/index.html

Chest pain, heart attacks, heart rhythm disturbances and other serious heart conditions are associated with both tobacco and marijuana carbon monoxide intoxication, the statement said.

Heart complications
Some of the studies analyzed by the medical group found heart rhythm abnormalities, such as tachycardia and atrial fibrillation, could occur within the hour after weed containing THC is smoked. THC, or tetrahydrocannabinol, is the psychoactive substance within marijuana that creates a "high."

Tetrahydrocannabinol can also cause a faster heart rate, increase the heart's need for oxygen, disrupt the walls of arteries and contribute to higher blood pressure while prone, according to other studies.

Many of the problems listed can also be caused by any over the counter drug, particularly for people with pre-existing conditions.

BTW, the article also stated (for those who didn't read it):
"If people choose to use cannabis for its medicinal or recreational effects, the oral and topical forms, for which doses can be measured, may reduce some of the potential harms," Page said in a statement."

And since marijuana is an anti-inflamatory, it's better smoking that then smoking cigarettes. It's also being tested as a possible treatment for Covid 19.

Old 08-05-2020, 08:42 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,861,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkhmini View Post
L0L! I have hated weed since I experimented with it when I was a teenager but decided to give it another try in 2011 when I was dealing with chronic pain. I baked it into some cheddar pennies, determined to use very judiciously, but they were too tasty!
Yep. It can be dangerous.

Quote:
So I look at it as, you can’t consider only one thing in isolation. Is there potential for negative heart effects from cannabis? Yes I think that is understood. But I also run and lift weights almost every day, those are immensely positive for heart health. As long as you are doing more positive things for your heart then I think most people are probably ok. For people with more serious heart conditions, their reasoning could easily be different.
I don't disagree with any of this. I'm in good health, fit, don't eat meat, and I walk 16-20 miles a week. I'm not dissing the use of weed in the least. As you say, everything in balance. I'm just being honest about what I learned about how it affects the heart firsthand, by measuring it myself. That can't be denied.

Old 08-05-2020, 09:18 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,572,208 times
Quote:
I think this is wishful thinking. I know two guys who were extremely fit - one in his 50's and one in his 40's - who smoked. Didn't smoke a lot, but smoked probably no more than half a pack a day. One was a runner and went to the gym on top of that 4 days a week, the other worked out with weights at home, hopped on the treadmill every day and played handball 4 times a week. Both died of lung cancer. They were so healthy, they didn't even know they had it until it was too far gone. One started to feel a slight pain near the rib cage and went to the doctor thinking he'd pulled a muscle that wasn't healing.

Damage isn't offset by good habits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies