Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2020, 01:50 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,984,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
As someone with a long IT career, I've seen what has happened with the industry. Although most H-1 holders are fine people and simply want to build a living here, it doesn't excuse the outsourcing/replacing of Americans with low wage workers. Keep in mind that most H-1 workers are also borderline visa 'slaves': they get paid next to nothing, and they can't change jobs easily. The real culprit here are the big Indian IT executives and (yes) the federal government allowing this. It's about time the H-1 is reworked and it should start with increasing the minimum salary to IT industry standards, and guarenteeing that the worker gets at least 80% of that salary.
Cranking up the minimum wage cutoff for H-1B would be a step in the right direction. But - the problem was a decade in the making, it will take more than a decade to fix. There's a decade's worth of US IT people who didn't get the on-the-job training (and, let's face it, filtering) they should have. We can't go cold-turky.

I mean - sure, my skills will appreciate in value, but even so...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2020, 01:58 PM

22,472 posts, read 11,995,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
You feel bad for India now? Dont. There is plenty brain where it came from. They are best and brightest of the Indian education system, which BTW you are the beneficiary of without paying for it. Do you realize how much of my tax money has gone in to educating you?
You don't know how the Indian education works, do you? More often than not (I already mentioned that in this thread but I guess you didn't see it) the instructor hands the students a book and tells them to memorize it. IOW, they get no hands on experience and don't develop critical thinking skills.

https://www.indiatoday.in/education-...167-2019-08-09

Old 08-10-2020, 02:49 PM

15,964 posts, read 7,024,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
You don't know how the Indian education works, do you? More often than not (I already mentioned that in this thread but I guess you didn't see it) the instructor hands the students a book and tells them to memorize it. IOW, they get no hands on experience and don't develop critical thinking skills.

https://www.indiatoday.in/education-...167-2019-08-09
Yet, somehow they are smart enough to be hired to replace you, and also the one the big IT guys want to hire.
Maybe we should hire their teachers too they seem to be doing a great job.

Old 08-10-2020, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Do you realize how much of my tax money has gone into educating YOU? You need a far better comeback than that one.

Yes, I do feel bad for third world countries that suffer brain drain. If they are ever going to improve their lot in life, they need their best and brightest. Fortunately, many of the best and brightest are committed to improving their countries. So they stay and work towards that instead of cutting and running.

If you think that there aren't others who are concerned about brain drain in third world countries---remember how I said you need to do some research? Well, you can start here. Father Patrick Bascio has since passed but he saw the ill effects of brain drain:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFWlCorPiPo
Forget about the Father, he has his ax to grind. He wants souls to convert. India doe not have a brain problem, it has unemployment problem. Like the US has now. It does not have thevtesources for bailout.

Old 08-10-2020, 02:58 PM

Quote:

You give those "IT executives" more credit than they deserve. Many of them have lied to congress and told them that they can't find Americans and they demand more H1-B visas get doled out. Meanwhile, they somehow survive when congress doesn't cave to their demands. Think about that for a minute, will you?

Again, if you had done research on this topic you would have read about the ways these companies exploit loopholes so that they can get away with not hiring Americans. For example, they place ads in obscure publications where few will see them. Or they deliberately advertise a job as junior position when in IRL it is a senior position with a junior salary. They know that experienced Americans won't apply for such a job, thus an excuse to hire an H1-B.

Once again---H1-Bs aren't the best and the brightest. There is a different visa program for that. You would have known that if you read through this thread then did your own research to back it up.
Those loopholes? The company hires lawyers to write them in and hands it to the pols they have bought, sorry, donated to. That is how these laws are made to work for businesses. Loopholes just means laws made to fit company goals. Not yours. Unless you buy yourself a pol.
Use your brain, dont just look up stuff on the internet. Find out how laws get made and who pays for them everything will be clear. The indians you hate sure didnt make them.

Old 08-10-2020, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Yet, somehow they are smart enough to be hired to replace you, and also the one the big IT guys want to hire.
Maybe we should hire their teachers too they seem to be doing a great job.
They are all about saving money. Get real. That's what this is all about---cheap, exploitable labor. Who do you think cleans up the messes that H1-Bs make? It's the Americans who work along side them.

Their teachers aren't doing "a great job". You obviously didn't read the link I provided to you. Plus you refuse to do any research on this issue.

I laugh at your assumptions about me because they've all been wrong.

Old 08-10-2020, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr78609 View Post
Not one that pays the big money
They go where the jobs are. They work hard, they are not robbing anyone. That is called honest work and enterprise.

Old 08-10-2020, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Those loopholes? The company hires lawyers to write them in and hands it to the pols they have bought, sorry, donated to. That is how these laws are made to work for businesses. Loopholes just means laws made to fit company goals. Not yours. Unless you buy yourself a pol.
Use your brain, dont just look up stuff on the internet. Find out how laws get made and who pays for them everything will be clear. The indians you hate sure didnt make them.
I've used my brain. In fact, by doing research on this topic, it's very clear to anyone that I have done so.

Your post only confirms the fraud and corruption that goes on when it comes to these visa programs. So kudos to you for realizing that fact.

BTW, not all H1-Bs are "hard workers". They are no different from anyone when it comes to that aspect. Once again, that visa isn't for the best and the brightest. Why do you refuse to believe that fact?

Old 08-10-2020, 03:02 PM

Quote:
They are all about saving money. Get real. That's what this is all about---cheap, exploitable labor. Who do you think cleans up the messes that H1-Bs make? It's the Americans who work along side them.

Their teachers aren't doing "a great job". You obviously didn't read the link I provided to you. Plus you refuse to do any research on this issue.

I laugh at your assumptions about me because they've all been wrong.
If they mess up so bad why do they keep getting hired? Think.
Dont give me any links, give me your thoughts. They are more entertaining.

Old 08-10-2020, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Forget about the Father, he has his ax to grind. He wants souls to convert. India doe not have a brain problem, it has unemployment problem. Like the US has now. It does not have thevtesources for bailout.
Your take is not at all open-minded. If you saw his other videos on this topic, you would see for yourself. Take the time to do so. It's part of educating yourself when it comes to learning about this whole issue.

Besides, you would have learned that Father Bascio has since passed away. It's clear that you didn't take the time to realize that as you referred to him in the present tense. In fact, I even mentioned that fact in the post with the video.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies