Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2020, 08:30 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,697,984 times

Advertisements

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...n-tech-workers

Good Article on the abuse of this visa system by IT companies. Inflated Resume, bonded labor tied down for Green Card, chain of LLCs slicing down commission over every project !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2020, 11:46 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,196,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I don't know what qualifies as "abuse", but Indians have pretty much taken over the whole IT industry in US.
Are you admitting they are smarter and more qualified?

I'll ignore your racist implication that every Indian in America is here on an H-1B visa.

Quote:
Not sure why you are trying to downplay it.
It's 65,000 visas annually.

Not every one of those visas is issued to an Indian IT worker.

If we were talking 650,000 visas annually, you might actually have an argument.

Old 10-14-2020, 12:01 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,706,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Are you admitting they are smarter and more qualified?
I have worked with many who are extremely qualified.

Quote:
I'll ignore your racist implication that every Indian in America is here on an H-1B visa.
I never said such thing, so you are basically ignoring your own implication.

Quote:
It's 65,000 visas annually.

Not every one of those visas is issued to an Indian IT worker.

If we were talking 650,000 visas annually, you might actually have an argument.
Its not an argument. I know for fact, since I have been in the industry for 25+ years and have seen workplaces where practically everyone is from India. Are you in IT industry?

Old 10-14-2020, 12:04 PM

464 posts, read 203,143 times
I support jobs for immigrants 100%. But, they should go to US Citizens FIRST.

Old 10-15-2020, 10:59 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,196,258 times
Quote:
Its not an argument. I know for fact, since I have been in the industry for 25+ years and have seen workplaces where practically everyone is from India. Are you in IT industry?
Nobody gives a damn how long you've been in the IT industry.

Your clearly ethnocentric view limited to one city out of the 39,000+ cities in the US is not relevant.

You don't personally know every Indian IT worker in the US and federal law proves you wrong.

We're talking 65,000 visas of which 6,800 are reserved exclusively for Chilean and Singapore nationals under bilateral trade agreements with those States.

That leaves 58,200 visas of which a few thousand are issued to fashion models or people working on Defense Department contracts or research.

I live in Cincinnati and there aren't any Indian IT workers here, which is odd given that there are two Hindu temples, because there is a large Indian population.

Why aren't you people whining about the "Australian H-1B"?

Because none of you know what you're talking about.

First, it isn't an H-1B visa, it's actually an E-3 visa, and it is reserved exclusively for Australian nationals, like IT workers.

You wouldn't know anything about the EB-5 visa, either. That's for investors and entrepreneurs, and yes, there's lots of Indians who come here on that.

None of you have even filled out any forms, but then, why would you?

I do, because I do consulting and help clients with ETA-3095s so they can register with DOL so they can bring foreign workers over.

And, it ain't cheap. It's about $10,000 per worker, and no, that does not include airfare.

Seasonal agricultural visas (H-2As) don't cost $10,000. Those only cost a few hundred. Most Americans are loathe to work on farms, so if you wanna eat, you have to bring foreigners over.

Old 10-15-2020, 12:49 PM

63,014 posts, read 29,216,871 times
Quote:

Your clearly ethnocentric view limited to one city out of the 39,000+ cities in the US is not relevant.

You don't personally know every Indian IT worker in the US and federal law proves you wrong.

We're talking 65,000 visas of which 6,800 are reserved exclusively for Chilean and Singapore nationals under bilateral trade agreements with those States.

That leaves 58,200 visas of which a few thousand are issued to fashion models or people working on Defense Department contracts or research.

I live in Cincinnati and there aren't any Indian IT workers here, which is odd given that there are two Hindu temples, because there is a large Indian population.

Why aren't you people whining about the "Australian H-1B"?

Because none of you know what you're talking about.

First, it isn't an H-1B visa, it's actually an E-3 visa, and it is reserved exclusively for Australian nationals, like IT workers.

You wouldn't know anything about the EB-5 visa, either. That's for investors and entrepreneurs, and yes, there's lots of Indians who come here on that.

None of you have even filled out any forms, but then, why would you?

I do, because I do consulting and help clients with ETA-3095s so they can register with DOL so they can bring foreign workers over.

And, it ain't cheap. It's about $10,000 per worker, and no, that does not include airfare.

Seasonal agricultural visas (H-2As) don't cost $10,000. Those only cost a few hundred. Most Americans are loathe to work on farms, so if you wanna eat, you have to bring foreigners over.
That's fine just as long at the farmers use those unlimited visas. The problem is that many don't but hire illegal aliens instead because they increase their profits and don't have to cover their social costs and they pass them unto to the taxpayer instead.

Old 10-15-2020, 01:35 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,985,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Corporations will just offshore directly.

They care nothing about anything except for shareholders and C level. If there was a button marked "kill 100 babies and 20 nuns for $100,000.00" they would push it all day long.
Honestly, why not just do that from the gitgo as opposed to bringing workers here?

Or that country that has over supply of workers really ought to dominate that industry with their own homegrown corporations, and be directly supplying the goods/services to global consumers. They can just completely cut out the US shareholders, and not need to share any wealth.

Old 10-15-2020, 11:37 PM

8,305 posts, read 3,822,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
I work in IT and I work with a lot of H-1 immigrant professionals. No disrespect or problems with them personally or professionally. Having said that, when I have a new opening I get flooded with foreigners at insane low rates. One of them is reporting to me, and out of roughly $90/hr he gets paid $60/hr. There's a ton of abuse going on not only with American workers, but also with the immigrants here. It's an absolute mess. And raising the H-1 rate will benefit EVERYBODY - including the people from countries like India who work here.
You're part of the problem. Hire them directly whether they are a citizen or H1b. You're enabling this abuse by allowing there to be a middleman that abuses the system.

Old 10-17-2020, 06:31 PM
exm

3,732 posts, read 1,789,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
You're part of the problem. Hire them directly whether they are a citizen or H1b. You're enabling this abuse by allowing there to be a middleman that abuses the system.

I can't. Corporate America (as in, my employer) has a limited number of 'preferred vendors' which are the big IT outsourcing companies.

This change was long overdue.

Old 10-17-2020, 06:49 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,706,109 times
Quote:
You <> everyone.

Quote:
Where do you get the "one city" idea?

Quote:
I know I am right, since I have seen it with my own eyes over the course of 25+ years in the industry.

Quote:
I lived on Queen City avenue (about half a mile from the Golden Nugget), and worked at IBM office on Vine & 5th (right next to the Fountain Square), and at least back then there were plenty of Indian IT workers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies