Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2020, 11:59 AM

18,718 posts, read 7,597,559 times

Advertisements

73 years ago today, on August 5, 1945, the first atomic bomb used in war was dropped on Hiroshima, Japan. (In Japan it was August 6, since they are across the International Date Line from us.)

Three days later, the second atomic bomb used in warfare was flown to its primary target of Kokura, Japan. They found the city obscured by clouds and smoke, and so flew to the secondary target of Nagasaki instead and dropped the bomb there.

Shortly afterward, Japan realized they had no way to stop the Americans from dropping bomb after bomb, wiping out city after city until the Japanese islands became uninhabitable. It also helped that Russia declared war on Japan that day. Japan surrendered, and WWII was over.

Japan didn't know at the time, that those were the only two complete atomic bombs the Americans had been able to produce at that time (plus one more set off in July as a test in New Mexico). They could eventually produce more of the needed fissile material, but it would have taken months or years, so the Americans kept quiet.

The Army estimated that those two bombs, which killed approx. 150,000 Japanese, saved the lives of between 500,000 and 1 million Americans who would no longer have to invade the Japanese home islands to force a surrender, plus saving a million or more Japanese who would have defended their homes to the death.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomic...a_and_Nagasaki

Old 08-05-2020, 12:01 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,587 posts, read 17,927,273 times
Goodness you've gilded that lily!

It kind of had to be done, but we certainly did Japan no favors by dropping the atom bomb on them twice.

The horrors of that bomb were not "for their own good" like distasteful medicine.

Old 08-05-2020, 12:02 PM

20,758 posts, read 8,562,401 times
I don't worry about bombs dropped decades ago. I worry about bombs that may be dropped today or tomorrow.

Old 08-05-2020, 12:05 PM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
It did save lives, overall. My Uncle was stationed in Burma at the time, & his life was saved, along with all the other soldiers who were going to be sent in. Japan was not going to surrender. The war in Europe was already over.

Old 08-05-2020, 12:16 PM

29,508 posts, read 22,620,513 times
Thank God for the bomb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9S41Kplsbs

Old 08-05-2020, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Goodness you've gilded that lily!
TRANSLATION: I hate it when you tell the truth so bluntly.

Quote:
It kind of had to be done,
"Kind of"??? Now who's "gilding the lily"?

Quote:
but we certainly did Japan no favors by dropping the atom bomb on them twice.
We did them the greatest "favor" it was possible to do. Thought strictly speaking we didn't do it "for them", we did it to minimize horror and death on our side. The fact that it also hugely reduced the amount of horror and death on their side too, is a side benefit for them.

We had a choice:

1.) Killing 500K to 1M Americans plus 1M to 2M Japanese by invading Japan to end the war, or

2.) Killing 0 Americans and 150K to 200K Japanese by dropping the Bomb to end the war.

3.) There was no Choice 3. WE HAD NO OTHER CHOICE. Only those two.

Your mewling that we should have taken Choice 1 instead of 2, makes me wonder about your mental acuity, if not your outright humanity.

Quote:
The horrors of that bomb were not "for their own good" like distasteful medicine.
Correct. They were for OUR good. The huge benefit to the Japanese (saving more than a million of their lives that we would otherwise have killed) is a side benefit that just got tossed in.

You seem typical of the trembling cowards who cry that when someone is killing us, we should not shoot back because our gun makes too loud a BANG, and is too scary for you.

Old 08-05-2020, 12:21 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
TRANSLATION: I hate it when you tell the truth so bluntly.

"Kind of"??? Now who's "gilding the lily"?

We did them the greatest "favor" it was possible to do. Thought strictly speaking we didn't do it "for them", we did it to minimize horror and death on our side. The fact that it also hugely reduced the amount of horror and death on their side too, is a side benefit for them.

We had a choice:

1.) Killing 500K to 1M Americans plus 1M to 2M Japanese by invading Japan to end the war, or

2.) Killing 0 Americans and 150K to 200K Japanese by dropping the Bomb to end the war.

3.) There was no Choice 3. WE HAD NO OTHER CHOICE. Only those two.

Your mewling that we should have taken Choice 1 instead of 2, makes me wonder about your mental acuity, if not your outright humanity.

Correct. They were for OUR good. The huge benefit to the Japanese (saving more than a million of their lives that we would otherwise have killed) is a side benefit that just got tossed in.

You seem typical of the trembling cowards who cry that when someone is killing us, we should not shoot back because our gun makes too loud a BANG, and is too scary for you.
Nooope.

It kind of had to be done. We needed to end that horrid war, and better them than us, but it's not sincere to say that was a positive for the Japanese. Awful, horrible toll on civilians, and children, and people who had no say whatsoever in the war, were vaporized or worse, left to tell.

Old 08-05-2020, 12:29 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,725,739 times
Every year, this same debate.

I wonder if the mods could just pin the reruns of the other treads on this from the past eighteen years at the top for a few days every August?

CN

Old 08-05-2020, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Nooope.

It kind of had to be done. We needed to end that horrid war, and better them than us, but it's not sincere to say that was a positive for the Japanese. Awful, horrible toll on civilians, and children, and people who had no say whatsoever in the war, were vaporized or worse, left to tell.
What would you have done instead?

Old 08-05-2020, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
What would you have done instead?
Nothing different, probably.

But while I was doing it, I wouldn't be thinking I was doing Japan a favor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies