Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2020, 08:25 PM

3,771 posts, read 1,508,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Still would like to see your source. Researchers in Seattle tested samples from nasal swabs taken for an influenza study in early 2020 and the first one that was positive was obtained on February 24.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2008646

Other pneumonias can cause the same appearance.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...ona%20on%20Jan.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/n...-zero-n1207871

https://www.theweek.co.uk/coronaviru...rus-in-october

https://www.northjersey.com/story/ne...es/3057925001/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2020, 08:30 PM

4,455 posts, read 3,985,183 times
Is it possible to be atheist and believe in covid at the same time?

Old 08-05-2020, 08:40 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,830,639 times
Hang on -- is 2020 done yet. We are just over the halfway mark and you have closed the book on the year.

That's some intersting data gathering -- lol.

Old 08-06-2020, 01:44 AM

36,969 posts, read 40,942,878 times
Thank you.

1. I'll take that one with a grain of salt. As the article says,

"Dr Joan Ramon Villalbi of the Spanish Society for Public Health and Sanitary Administration told Reuters it was still early to draw definitive conclusions.

'When it’s just one result, you always want more data, more studies, more samples to confirm it and rule out a laboratory error or a methodological problem,' he said.

There was the potential for a false positive due to the virus’ similarities with other respiratory infections."

2. This one is plausible. It will be interesting to see where some of the patients from 2019 may have traveled and whether they have any common contacts. However, it is based on x-rays, not viral testing, and cannot be definitive. The article is from May and I can find no follow up since.

3. High probability. Question: where did Elodie and her teammates go in France when they returned from Wuhan? Apparently at least one other person was infected. I looked at her Facebook page and she is quite an accomplished athlete. She is also a Gendarme!

4. The mayor could have had a different infection in November and an asymptomatic coronavirus infection more recently. It would be nice if he had been tested for flu when he was ill, and he does not say whether he had the flu vaccine or not. A lot of people describe having influenza as the sickest they have ever been. He was not tested for the coronavirus until April. Note the title is wrong. November was five months before he tested, not 19.

Of the four examples, the lady gendarme is the most convincing.

Old 08-06-2020, 03:13 AM

26,919 posts, read 13,145,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabbychic View Post
Not that many people are dying from Covid.
The 1918 flu didn't have the same level of lockdowns or mandatory mask wearing, so spread far more rapidly and killed many more people.

As for 1%, that's 3.3 million people in the US and around 80 million globally.

Old 08-06-2020, 03:24 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,799,323 times
Perhaps the OP meat Spanish Fly...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EMNTXLISoY

Old 08-06-2020, 06:47 AM

16,942 posts, read 12,486,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
Almost everyone who went on a ventilator died. They hardly saved anyone. And where do you get your statistics? How many people total have been hospitalized with covid?
Uh, you are arguing with a doctor. Are you a doctor?

Old 08-06-2020, 01:56 PM

6,282 posts, read 2,828,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Uh, you are arguing with a doctor. Are you a doctor?
I was looking at statistics. He still makes assertions about millions of lives being saved that I question. I want to see statistics and data. I am not a doctor but I am a scientist.

Old 08-06-2020, 02:06 PM

25,355 posts, read 17,004,259 times
Someone should point out that the ventilator did not exist in 1918.
And it seems to me that a lot of people who are compromised in various ways today, would have already died by this time in their lives in 1918.

But Spanish Flu and COVID-19 are very different. Hard to compare.

Old 08-06-2020, 02:11 PM

18,418 posts, read 15,127,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
I was looking at statistics. He still makes assertions about millions of lives being saved that I question. I want to see statistics and data. I am not a doctor but I am a scientist.
How can I have statistics from something that was prevented from happening?

I could give you an estimate on how many people were saved by ventilators, because anyone who lived after being on a ventilator was saved by the ventilator. But what about all those people who never made it to the ventilator because of other drugs and oxygen delivery methods? Many of them would be dead, but not all, so how would anyone be able to come up with statistics on how many millions would have died without modern medicine?

I do know that we treated and sent home a lot more people than those who died. We treated them with all kinds of methods that were not available in 1918.

I cant give you exact numbers, nobody can. But given that over 700K have already died WITH modern medicine, I can be reasonably certain that if we were treating the patients with sunlight and fresh air instead of modern oxygen delivery and modern medications the numbers would be in the millions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies