Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2020, 09:14 AM

89,067 posts, read 44,895,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertwrench View Post
Similar for areas around Chicago. I know people who live in a suburb 30 miles outside Chicago and they pay over $8k in property taxes a year for a 1400 square foot house. That is the definition of insanity. Now way would I live there. They get free nothing, not even school. They have tons of fees to go to the public schools. These small governments have gone way overboard with their programs.
We had the same experience in IL. Had to buy your textbooks every year. And add all kinds of fees on top of that like lab fees for science classes, etc. Added up, it usually came to over a thousand dollars per year per kid. At public school. After paying outrageously high property taxes, most of which went to the public school district.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2020, 09:14 AM

9,913 posts, read 9,605,149 times
they should demand something in order to come back, not just freely give in.

Old 08-06-2020, 09:15 AM

9,913 posts, read 9,605,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
We had the same experience in IL. Had to buy your textbooks every year. And add all kinds of fees on top of that like lab fees for science classes, etc. Added up, it usually came to over a thousand dollars per year per kid. At public school. After paying outrageously high property taxes, most of which went to the public school district.
My cousin who just moved out of the northwest suburbs of Chicago said the same thing. taxes are way too high like thousands of dollars.. they moved to Arizona where taxes are $2,000.

of course the landlords pass this onto the renters and so we all pay.

Old 08-06-2020, 09:24 AM

17,014 posts, read 12,607,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
That cap is pretty recent.

Up until then police, as one example, could cash out unused vacation/sick/paid time days that they accumulated over their entire careers at their current rate of pay.

A buddy of mine who retired as a $150,000 /yr, with a take home car, police captain was royally pissed when they capped it before he could get in on the boondoggle.

Then there's the school superintendents who had these huge golden parachutes in their contracts.

They really hit the mother lode of taxpayer funds.

As far as good ACT and SAT scores, NJ is no different than any other state. The good schools are in the predominately white collar neighborhoods.

The worst schools suck up the lion's share of funding.

Remember when it came out that Asbury Park, a failed district by any metric, blew through......drum roll please......$41,000 per student.

That's more than I paid per year for my son's Rutgers and Rowan University education (he graduated in '19).
You do realize we agree on about 80% right?

I was pointing out the quoted was not typical even for NJ. NJ property taxes range from obscene to absurd but 30K is not typical, even for a million+ dollar house. I pointed out myself the true elite of the public world still get crazy. They hold HUGE power still.

They even got a pay cap REMOVED for school superintendents. REALLY!?!?

I stand by my SAT /ACT thing. NJ is a SAT state. It ranks #4. One of the few metrics that can cross state lines. Education for the middle 80% really is better than average. I compare what my kids got vs relatives (OH FL and NC) and there is no comparison. The bottom 10% will always be bad regardless of state and the top 10% will always be great regardless. Yes the Abbot districts thing in NJ is dumb.

Old 08-06-2020, 09:34 AM

21,953 posts, read 9,532,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I've found that the 1st to leave the high tax states are conservatives. They are the ones who are most teed off about it, so they vote with theri feet. Then, some of those who leave later on, realize the mistakes they made that resulted in all the high taxes. Those Libs who love last and will not change their tax & spend mentality are in the minority in the low tax states. Immigration can overrun low-tax conservative States though, like Arizona, Texas, and Florida.
What I find is a lot of liberals who gripe about high taxes but can't put 2 + 2 together to figure out that THEY voted in these thieves.

Old 08-06-2020, 09:37 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,635,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertwrench View Post
Similar for areas around Chicago. I know people who live in a suburb 30 miles outside Chicago and they pay over $8k in property taxes a year for a 1400 square foot house. That is the definition of insanity. Now way would I live there. They get free nothing, not even school. They have tons of fees to go to the public schools. These small governments have gone way overboard with their programs.
I'm in a 2300 sq foot house paying $14K. Most of it goes into the school system, which is highly ranked, but my adult children are long gone.

Only one retired couple I know are still here in IL, but they're trying to figure out where they want to go. Everyone else has moved out because they just can't afford to be here anymore.

It's sad that at an age when people want to enjoy grandchildren and spend more time with family and friends, everyone ends up moving to a state where they don't know people and have no support system.

Old 08-06-2020, 09:40 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,682,616 times
Quote:
Cuomo(Fredo) Begs Fleeing New Yorkers To Return From Connecticut, Hamptons After Revealing Top 1% Pay 50% Of State Taxes
I guess you didn't know the Hamptons is in NY, and if they are in their summerhouses in CT, they still pay tax in NY. What exactly is the point of your thread?

Old 08-06-2020, 09:42 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,635,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I guess you didn't know the Hamptons is in NY, and if they are in their summerhouses in CT, they still pay tax in NY. What exactly is the point of your thread?
Cuomo is asking people to stop moving out of NYC. He wasn't talking about NY state.

Old 08-06-2020, 09:43 AM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,071,641 times
The law of unintended consequences.

Old 08-06-2020, 09:43 AM

33,315 posts, read 12,564,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
Hey Mia billionaire paisanos... please come a back...i cook you a nice plate of pasta like mamma Mia used to cook..please come a back...

As bugs bunny would say:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NYFq7ZJg4c

https://www.dailywire.com/news/cuomo...of-state-taxes

Your thread title is incorrect.

Fredo is the nickname given to his CNN host brother Chris, not to NY Governor Andrew Cuomo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies