Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2020, 11:03 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,745,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
They are back here in the Poconos as well in their mountain vacation homes!

We have a friend whose son lives in a $5000/month apartment in Manhattan which he said is only 40% occupied. Says he wants a discount on his rent. Also says Manhattan is still very much deserted.

So far, PA is not on NY's quarantine list!
Thanks to Democratic Leaders like De'Blasio telling folks to stay inside "except protesters" and the ridiculous ways they are pandering to the violent folks, NYC is becoming a "Ghost Town" all the people that can afford it are ABANDONING NY in droves!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2020, 11:20 AM

20,318 posts, read 19,905,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
The Fredo nickname only resonates with senior citizens. Next time try to come up with a meme that is referencing something less than 40 years old.
My 25 y/o son and his friends get the Fredo thing because they watch all types of film (not the Marvel/Star Wars stuff) and seem to be well read.

Why don't YOU get off the couch and come up with a new one yourself.

Or have your parents do it for you.

Old 08-06-2020, 11:27 AM

5,859 posts, read 3,294,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I guess you didn't know the Hamptons is in NY, and if they are in their summerhouses in CT, they still pay tax in NY. What exactly is the point of your thread?
I will give you an example of what is happening. My parents fit the bill. Multi millionaires who up and left NY. Why would they continue to get slaughtered with NY taxes when they could move to Florida and only pay a fraction. Also why let NY get all the taxes after death. They earned it. It belongs to our family. Not some greedy politician who wants to spend it on their welfare programs. So now in Florida they will not be paying any death tax.

Old 08-06-2020, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Chris Christie happened. He taxed the hair out of their azzes.
Not the way I saw it when I lived in NJ until May, 19.

He was instrumental in putting a cap on property tax increases, capping outrageous school superintendent salaries and big retirement payouts (while they hopped from one district to another, what a f'n scam of the taxpayers that was).

He also eliminated the police cashing out unused vacation/sick/paid time days that they accumulated over their entire careers at their current rate of pay (implemented a $15K cap IIRC).

You must have confused him with the previous Democrat governors. Hell, Gov Corzine acted like he was a public worker union organizer plus he was shacking up with a public worker's union boss.

Christie wasn't in any way part of NJ's Dem machine.

Hey, it's Jersey. Fuggetaboudit. Whattayagonnado other than suck it up and pay up?

Old 08-06-2020, 11:31 AM

7,502 posts, read 4,346,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
GEEZ! I left Georgia because my property tax bill was $9,200. The rate of increase was zany...it went from $6,000 to $9,200 in 3 years, and that was with us disputing it 2X in 3 yrs...unsuccessfully the 2nd time.

I know of people who were paying $30,000 in New Jersey, and they couldn't sell their home at any reasonable price for over 2 years, due to the high tax rate, so they walked away from it and any equity they had in it. It was first listed at $1.2M, & they gave up when they couldnt sell it at $800k; and walked away.

Much of all of this is due to unsustainable government worker pensions, and crazy high compensation packages. The gov't keeps paying themselves more and more money, more vacation days, allowing accrued vacation year after year, high raises each year outpacing inflation, more sick days, & floating days, earlier retirement ages, its gov't stealing from taxpayers unchecked. The Teachers in their town were making $100K+...teaching is a part time job up there with all the time off they got after just a few years.
$9,200? That's nothing. We were paying almost $12,000 a year for an 1,100 sq. ft. 3bdr. 1 bth. home in Peekskill, New York and that was 10 years ago. Peekskill also had one of the worst school systems in Westchester County. It took us over 3 years to sell our house. The feedback we got was that potential buyers didn't want to put their children in Peekskill City Schools. But we persevered, kept the home on the market until it eventually sold. Come hell or high water we were getting outta' New York.

We're now in Arizona, bought a 2,000 sq. ft. 4bdr. 2bth. home and the annual property taxes are $1,900. We live in a much nicer neighborhood, one that we could only dream about had we stayed in New York. We have all of the same amenities that New Yorker's love to brag about in order to justify their outrageous costs of living.

What a lot of people fail to understand is that the costs of doing business in New York are passed on down to the consumers of the goods and services that those businesses provide. Which raises the cost of living even higher. The same goes for those who rent as the property taxes are passed on down to them.

Unfortunately no matter how much tax revenue New York loses due to out migration. They will find some way to make up for that loss from those who choose to stay.

Old 08-06-2020, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
.....Unfortunately no matter how much tax revenue New York loses due to out migration. They will find some way to make up for that loss from those who choose to stay.
Like they say, BOHICA

Old 08-06-2020, 11:44 AM

12,805 posts, read 9,529,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
The Fredo nickname only resonates with senior citizens. Next time try to come up with a meme that is referencing something less than 40 years old.
I would bet over half this board is over 40. The Godfather is a classic. If you haven't seen it, that's your loss.

Old 08-06-2020, 11:46 AM

7,502 posts, read 4,346,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
What I find is a lot of liberals who gripe about high taxes but can't put 2 + 2 together to figure out that THEY voted in these thieves.
It doesn't affect wealthy Liberals they can afford to pay tax attorneys to find every tax shelter and write off that they can get. To cleanse their guilty conscience they vote for those who end up raising taxes on everyone else. Then you have those that are living off the government teat. They will always vote for the hand that feeds them. Not realizing that they are nothing more than modern day slaves of a political party that intends to keep them that way.

Old 08-06-2020, 11:46 AM

30,987 posts, read 22,039,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
My cousin who just moved out of the northwest suburbs of Chicago said the same thing. taxes are way too high like thousands of dollars.. they moved to Arizona where taxes are $2,000.

of course the landlords pass this onto the renters and so we all pay.
I love my low AZ taxes. Unfortunately too many modern Democrats move here will ruin it for everyone. Its inevitable, one day our cities will resemble CHAD, or the Slums of Rio. Not Fredo, Obama, or the Clinton's though, they will always live behind walls

Old 08-06-2020, 11:48 AM

30,987 posts, read 22,039,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I would bet over half this board is over 40. The Godfather is a classic. If you haven't seen it, that's your loss.
I didn't know who Fredo was, but learned pretty quickly that it was the Roid raging Cuomo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies