Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2020, 08:59 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,545,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
It’s 50% chance of whether it will helpyou fight off the virus or not. Not a 50% chance of whether it will kill you. Good grief.

I have a healthy immune system so I don't need help fighting off a virus. It's not the Bubonic Plague.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2020, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Sweet! Looks like liberals will have to keep the economy closed until we’re back in the Stone Age.

Any person who thought masks and lockdowns were going to make this virus go away needs their head examined.

Yeah, I think that was the point all along. At least until the election is done.

Old 08-07-2020, 09:02 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,630 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Sweet! Looks like liberals will have to keep the economy closed until we’re back in the Stone Age.

Any person who thought masks and lockdowns were going to make this virus go away needs their head examined.
Masks and lockdowns were implemented to slow the rate of infection until the US health care system could get their feet under them, and prepare to deal with filling Intensive Care Units, so that otherwise healthy people who needed a little ICU care wouldn't die for lack of availability of services.

The slowdown and masks weren't ever meant to kill the virus. Just spread it out so we weren't losing people gasping for breath in the hallways of hospitals with no beds to treat them.

Now, we're there. We've spread out the infections. It's time to open up again, especially schools.

Old 08-07-2020, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Masks and lockdowns slowed the rate of infection until the US health care system could get their feet under them, and prepare to deal with filling Intensive Care Units, so that otherwise healthy people who needed a little ICU care wouldn't die.

The slowdown and masks weren't ever meant to kill the virus. Just spread it out so we weren't losing people gasping for breath in the hallways of hospitals with no beds to treat them.

Now, we're there. It's time to open up again, especially schools.

This ^^^^^

Old 08-07-2020, 09:04 PM

17,304 posts, read 12,251,233 times
So back to my first point of a 10% chance is still an incredible benefit...especially if you can look outside yourself. Which you admit you can’t.

Old 08-07-2020, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
So back to my first point of a 10% chance is still an incredible benefit...especially if you can look outside yourself. Which you admit you can’t.

You're right.

Old 08-07-2020, 09:07 PM

2,923 posts, read 978,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkhmini View Post
Your assertion. I've made it very clear on several threads here that I feel no responsibility whatsoever for the welfare of the whole population.
dude what is in your picture? is that what was left over after clarallel's exorcism?

Old 08-07-2020, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_N_1962 View Post
dude what is in your picture? is that what was left over after clarallel's exorcism?

Huh? Could you rephrase that please?

Old 08-07-2020, 09:11 PM

15,837 posts, read 6,543,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkhmini View Post
Fauci says 50% effectiveness is okay.

If someone handed you a parachute with those odds of it opening successfully, would you jump?

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/08/07/coro...not-great.html
This is a poor comparison. The COVID-19 equivalent to wearing a parachute is remaining locked away with no human contact. What a 50% effective vaccine gives you is the equivalent of a seat belt in a car. If you crash, your chance of survival is improved, but is still not 100%. Note that Flu shots are also not 100% effective, but I still get one because survival is about managing your odds.

Old 08-07-2020, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
This is a poor comparison. The COVID-19 equivalent to wearing a parachute is remaining locked away with no human contact. What a 50% effective vaccine gives you is the equivalent of a seat belt in a car. If you crash, your chance of survival is improved, but is still not 100%. Note that Flu shots are also not 100% effective, but I still get one because survival is about managing your odds.

I social distance and mask like a pro. I remain locked away with no human contact. How would a vaccine make my life any different?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies