Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2020, 05:11 AM

24,623 posts, read 9,454,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
I absolutely plan to.
Unless you’re rich, an essential government worker, or work in the military, you won’t get the chance.

7 billion people live on planet earth, and you think you’re going to get a vaccine anytime soon for the largest pandemic since the Spanish flu?

Keep dreaming my friend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2020, 05:24 AM

30,160 posts, read 11,789,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkhmini View Post
The question is, would you use a parachute if it's potential effectiveness was 10%?

I thought it was a simple question.
It was but some people just do not get it. The chatter has been that the vaccine is most important for high risk people and first responders.

If we have learned anything from this pandemic it is that most people only half listen to the information out there. If high risk people get the vaccine and then assume they are not longer at risk and venture out and the effectiveness of the vaccine is only 50%. a lot of people will die due to a false sense of security.

Look what happened with the lockouts were over. Millions hit the streets thinking all is well. Cases shot up to new highs. Same will happen with a vaccine.

If we cannot get it right and be near 100% I believe only people in high risk jobs should get the vaccine. I don't believe we can trust the general public to do the smart thing. To paraphrase George Carlin the average person is not very smart and half the people are dumber than that person.

Old 08-08-2020, 05:32 AM

30,160 posts, read 11,789,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
From your link, what Dr. Fauci really said:

"Scientists are hoping for a coronavirus vaccine that is at least 75% effective, but 50% or 60% effective would be acceptable, too, Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said during a Q&A with the Brown University School of Public Health. 'The chances of it being 98% effective is not great, which means you must never abandon the public health approach.'”

The FDA has said that 50% is the minimum effectiveness that will allow approval of a vaccine.
So if the best we can do is say 41% effective do you really believe they will not claim its at 50% and distribute it anyways? We are talking the FDA here that has let all sorts of dangerous drugs slip through the cracks. I think the most effective vaccine with be produced no matter what the numbers and side effects are. If the real goal was getting it right it would take longer than months. At the least it will calm people down.

Old 08-08-2020, 05:40 AM

5,581 posts, read 2,307,455 times
  • Highly effective vaccine = 98% of people have protection. Fauci said it's slim that the vaccine will be 98%+ effective
  • Scientists are hoping .. at least 75% effective
  • 50% or 60% effective would be acceptable
Not bad^^^^

Thread title is misleading

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/08/07/coro...not-great.html

Old 08-08-2020, 05:48 AM

10,178 posts, read 11,164,319 times
Dr. Fraud..... I personally - do Not care what this man says, thinks...

Old 08-08-2020, 06:05 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingOutsideTheBox View Post
Where I live, it's illegal to meet with people outside your household unless it's a protest. I got blasted on social media for meeting my other single friends for a few games of volleyball on the beach by this woman who goes marching for BLM every Saturday.
I believe that is the case everywhere. The white women are allowed to keep protesting, but you can't do anything else. You can't even go to church. Protesting is the only social activity now.

Old 08-08-2020, 06:31 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,943,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I believe that is the case everywhere. The white women are allowed to keep protesting, but you can't do anything else. You can't even go to church. Protesting is the only social activity now.
And how many protestors/looters/rioters have died from contracting COVID from the hundreds of protests across the USA?

None? Right? How's Portland doing? Great, right?

So why do we need a vaccine when it's been proved that gathering in large groups does NOT promote transmission?

*crickets*

Old 08-08-2020, 06:43 AM

2,923 posts, read 977,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkhmini View Post
Huh? Could you rephrase that please?
your profile picture....it was a joke

Old 08-08-2020, 06:46 AM

5,047 posts, read 6,347,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
And how many protestors/looters/rioters have died from contracting COVID from the hundreds of protests across the USA?

None? Right? How's Portland doing? Great, right?

So why do we need a vaccine when it's been proved that gathering in large groups does NOT promote transmission?

*crickets*
There must be some...thing....some ITEM, that people were routinely using in the protests that helped prevent transmission. Because at President Trump's Oklahoma rally, and several church events, people DID come away with COVID.

I can't put my finger on it. Its nature is totally masked from me.

Old 08-08-2020, 06:46 AM

1,203 posts, read 617,955 times
A "vaccine" of 50% effectiveness is normally not acceptable. It certainly won't cause herd immunity. You need a vaccine of 80% efficacy for that. Most of the time, a vaccine like that will not be approved or it would be brought back into development. The only time such low efficacy will be tolerated is for something which doesn't have a good treatment or vaccine. The most effective vaccines are at about 95% efficacy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies