Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2020, 07:54 AM

5,209 posts, read 1,795,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkhmini View Post
Like lambs to slaughter. How did Americans become so gullible?
Fear. People lose their critical thinking when they are afraid. I recall during the early days of the shutdown, the news was non-stop hysterical panic, worse than now. And then people BEG for their rights to be taken away if they think it will make them safe or relieve some of the fear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2020, 07:54 AM

20,955 posts, read 5,542,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmom2 View Post
Yes....we may not get things back. I hate the phrase 'new normal.' That's the problem with giving things up to the powers that be. They don't like to give back. Or they give back a fraction, and they now have a precedent to do it again. And then a younger generation who doesn't know any different. I honestly never realized this until now. It was only an abstract idea to me, but now it is for real.

I heard a phrase -- I think it's from some old Sufi saying -- "The fish in the trap begin to think". I'm glad more and more people are thinking.

Old 08-08-2020, 07:57 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,730,981 times
Quote:
Yes....we may not get things back. I hate the phrase 'new normal.' That's the problem with giving things up to the powers that be. They don't like to give back. Or they give back a fraction, and they now have a precedent to do it again. And then a younger generation who doesn't know any different. I honestly never realized this until now. It was only an abstract idea to me, but now it is for real.
I cringe then I hear the “new normal” and “we’re all in this together” lines. They play those messages at the grocery store over the loud speaker and it make me feel like I’m in a dystopian fiction novel.

I remember in March when we were told that we needed to do these things to flatten the curve and ensure that the hospitals were not overwhelmed. Five months later.....the goal has changed to ensuring that no one gets sick at all and that we can’t have our lives back until there are no new cases for a period of time. It’s so unrealistic and insane. We have about 200 people hospitalized for Covid in our entire state, yet we remain very restricted. I hate this so much.

Old 08-08-2020, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Fear. People lose their critical thinking when they are afraid. I recall during the early days of the shutdown, the news was non-stop hysterical panic, worse than now. And then people BEG for their rights to be taken away if they think it will make them safe or relieve some of the fear.

I've heard someone whose intellect I trust state that the fear mechanism eventually wears out and the neurotransmitters involved in the fear response stop working. Maybe true, maybe not. What happens when we no longer feel fear? What emotional response then supplants the fear? I do know that I stopped fearing long ago.

Old 08-08-2020, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I cringe then I hear the “new normal” and “we’re all in this together” lines. They play those messages at the grocery store over the loud speaker and it make me feel like I’m in a dystopian fiction novel.

I remember in March when we were told that we needed to do these things to flatten the curve and ensure that the hospitals were not overwhelmed. Five months later.....the goal has changed to ensuring that no one gets sick at all and that we can’t have our lives back until there are no new cases for a period of time. It’s so unrealistic and insane. We have about 200 people hospitalized for Covid in our entire state, yet we remain very restricted. I hate this so much.

I feel the same way.

Make Orwell Fiction Again!

Old 08-08-2020, 08:06 AM

1,485 posts, read 953,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkhmini View Post
Like lambs to slaughter. How did Americans become so gullible?

One idea, if this becomes mandatory is for a group to pick off doctors who advocate it. I hate to suggest such a thing but we really are losing our freedoms as Americans. We really are the frogs in hot water.

Old 08-08-2020, 08:12 AM

15,820 posts, read 6,527,022 times
Oh please. Read the very first sentence in the article. What does it say?

Quote:
This piece represents the views of its author(s), separate from those of this publication.

Old 08-08-2020, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkstar71 View Post
One idea, if this becomes mandatory is for a group to pick off doctors who advocate it. I hate to suggest such a thing but we really are losing our freedoms as Americans. We really are the frogs in hot water.

I personally started "picking off" doctors long ago, financially anyway. I refuse to use medical care. After so many years of trusting them and being abused, I finally saw the lying, the nearly complete lack of accountability and the fact that they use the constant drumbeat of fear (read upthread a few posts, regarding fear) to keep the sheep in line.

The freedom I have since walking off the medical industrial slave plantation is amazingly empowering!

Old 08-08-2020, 08:49 AM

18,803 posts, read 8,462,725 times
Quote:
This is also un-necessary. Covid has affected so many people. Many times the amount that actually tested positive. That confers some level immunity, they are saying. Combine that with the masses of people who will voluntarily take the vaccine, and we have a good outcome. So why start the propaganda campaign?

I am seriously concerned with the speed at which liberties fly out the window for 'public health.' No school, no church, no gatherings, no funerals, no work, standing on taped lines, moving only when told, wearing masks (which I support), and now a shot in the arm---efficacy and side effects be damned. We should all be worried. This isn't China. This is America. I think some people want us to be China, and I'm not exaggerating.
No, this isn't China, and this is just a start of discussions. An opinion piece about an unknown future. Unknown vaccine results, and unknown general pandemic trends.

So far this pandemic is not deadly enough to warrant such a mandate. If this was Ebola, maybe. If this was only killing children, maybe. But not as it is, especially where our abilities to handle the crisis is improving over time.

We will soon have monoclonal AB treatments, and those may turn this virus into a less than lethal disease. And when that happens, the game changes.

And then comes the vaccines. Which millions of front line HC workers and high risk individuals everywhere in the world will be clamoring for. Never mind those wanting it and low risk. It will take some time to ramp up and then distribute and administer. There will be a significant time for those on the fence to observe the guinea pigs. Those specifically wanting to opt out will have a long wait before being loaded onto cattle cars. Which by then IMO, will not arrive.

Old 08-08-2020, 08:56 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,643,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
File this under .. All those people who kept insisting it wouldn't happen. Who said we would never be headed in that direction.

Using a 'patriotic' argument .. not an argument based on health. [What part of the population is being targeted with THAT message?? Not the rioters/looters/SJWs]

Defeat COVID-19 by requiring vaccination for all. It's not un-American, it's patriotic.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...mn/3289948001/

How would USA Today like it enforced? Well, by govt and society of course, NOT by health practitioners. And with punishments, too:

How can government and society assure compliance with protective vaccines? Vaccine refusers could lose tax credits or be denied non-essential government benefits. Health insurers could levy higher premiums for those who by refusing immunization place themselves and others at risk, as is the case for smokers.

Private businesses could refuse to employ or serve unvaccinated individuals, schools could refuse to allow unimmunized children to attend classes, public and commercial transit companies — airlines, trains and buses — could exclude refusers. Public and private auditoriums could require evidence of immunization for entry. The only legal limitation on government or private action is that it not be discriminatory, and it’s hard to see how discrimination would occur if vaccinations were free and accessible to all.

And of course eliminate any personal choice or medical freedom because that will "violate the social contract."

How many are still asleep at the wheel? Not seeing the big picture yet?
I am not asleep at the wheel. I do know very well what Communism is since my childhood and i will not submit myself to that criminal and genocide ideology that is exactly the same as Fascism and Nazism. If in America the Democrats are the ones who pretend my submission to their mandates, then I am telling to all those scoundrels that they have to kill me first to vaccinate me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies