Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2020, 09:55 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,171,874 times

Advertisements

Still waiting to see which islands in the “Caribbean basin” were so much worse in terms of racism than the U.S. Since the claim was that it was across the “Caribbean basin,” I’m expecting a significant list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2020, 09:57 AM

4,842 posts, read 3,270,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I strongly disagree with the OP...just looking at the drug laws proves my point!

I was talking with a guy on Facebook last night about this topic, he was under the impression drug laws were created, to be enforced equally, to protect health and safety of the general public, (this is far from being accurate). I had to explain to him, drug laws were actually created out of concern for white jobs and the safety of white women!

Go read some of Harry Anslingers statements as to why the US needed tough drug laws and come back and tell me they are not the definition of 'systematic racism'!
White/black... crack or powder... don't use drugs. Problem solved! If you know the prescribed penalty and still choose to do it, then shut up and do the time. Some of these 'injustices' have simple solutions.

Old 08-08-2020, 09:58 AM

1,031 posts, read 638,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I strongly disagree with the OP...just looking at the drug laws proves my point!

I was talking with a guy on Facebook last night about this topic, he was under the impression drug laws were created, to be enforced equally, to protect health and safety of the general public, (this is far from being accurate). I had to explain to him, drug laws were actually created out of concern for white jobs and the safety of white women!

Go read some of Harry Anslingers statements as to why the US needed tough drug laws and come back and tell me they are not the definition of 'systematic racism'!
You got to read the OP a little closer

I'm talking about modern America not the racist beginnings of the drug war

You see back then we actually did have systemic racist policies unlike today

That's the whole point of the thread...systemic racism did exist in the past but not today

The evolution of the drug war is perhaps the best example I could use to show the ridiculousness of the Siri that somehow black people or more victimized by the drug war than white people

A poor white redneck with a tiny amount of meth is going to get in as much trouble as a poor black guy with a handful of crack rocks

I'll tell you who's not going to get in trouble...

somebody who has the money to hire lawyers and pay the fines and get the expungements required to walk free from those kinds of charges and that's all based on money not the color of your butt cheeks

Old 08-08-2020, 09:58 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,171,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boer View Post
I'm actually a Roots reggae DJ so you're not going to be able to pull the wool on me

I grew up listening to Joseph Hill, muta and tosh

The colonialism that the Caribbean Basin experienced is much more intense than anything in modern America

Jamaica's gun court is a pretty good example

The Caribbean Basin and Africa in the 70s make modern America look like Disneyland for blacks

don't lie to the white people
Who cares if you are a roots reggae DJ. Colonialism ended in the 60s in the English-speaking Caribbean and there was nothing the likes of Jim Crow in the region. There is also the French/Creole Caribbean, Spanish Caribbean, Dutch Caribbean etc. Where are you speaking about? Again, which islands in the “Caribbean basin” were worse than in the U.S.?

You said across the region so let’s hear it.

Don’t lie about my history and my culture. Who cares what race you are. You’re an outsider that doesn’t know what they are talking about.

Old 08-08-2020, 09:59 AM

17,789 posts, read 13,682,006 times
Quote:
as someone that's been working with minority youth for decades I've always reminded them that there is no such thing as "systemic racial Injustice" in modern America!

Apartheid and Jim Crow are long gone and deeply buried

There are some tiny vestiges of colonial oppression that still exists throughout the world but they're sure as hell isn't a scrap of it in the United States
Numbers 14:18

Quote:
The LORD is slow to anger, abounding in love and forgiving sin and rebellion. Yet he does not leave the guilty unpunished; he punishes the children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation.'
It hasn't been four generations yet since apartheid and Jim Crow. Quit being against God. Quit trying to hurt the Bible.

Old 08-08-2020, 10:01 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,588,284 times
Quote:
Name a few systemic racial prejudices

* are you going to suggest that the police should treat little old Korean ladies the same way they treat 18 year old black gangsters from the hood ?
Crime & work ethics so to speak are #1 and #2 prejudices against blacks. Both are statistically valid. You have to put your life and sweat on the line sometimes in the name of not judging. It is not just a matter of adjusting your thoughts (unless you are a privileged in some ways and own no business you care about squeezing the max from)

Old 08-08-2020, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reinedecoeur View Post
still waiting to see which islands in the “caribbean basin” were so much worse in terms of racism than the u.s. Since the claim was that it was across the “caribbean basin,” i’m expecting a significant list.
all of em!!!

Old 08-08-2020, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Crime & work ethics so to speak are #1 and #2 prejudices against blacks. Both are statistically valid. You have to put your life and sweat on the line sometimes in the name of not judging. It is not just a matter of adjusting your thoughts (unless you are a privileged in some ways and own no business you care about squeezing the max from)
Name a few systemic racial prejudices

Old 08-08-2020, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Who cares if you are a roots reggae DJ. Colonialism ended in the 60s in the English-speaking Caribbean and there was nothing the likes of Jim Crow in the region. There is also the French/Creole Caribbean, Spanish Caribbean, Dutch Caribbean etc. Where are you speaking about? Again, which islands in the “Caribbean basin” were worse than in the U.S.?

You said across the region so let’s hear it.

Don’t lie about my history and my culture. Who cares what race you are. You’re an outsider that doesn’t know what they are talking about.
Read the OP again sister

I said the Caribbean basin of the 70ties had more systemic racism than modern America thats has none

Racism: Alive and well in Jamaica

Bob Marley was singing about real systemic institutionalized racism because it actually existed back then

Old 08-08-2020, 10:17 AM

12,956 posts, read 13,671,429 times
Quote:
All those examples of systemic problems affect the poor not exclusively the minority poor
This is what I would call the enigma of systemic racial and economic inequality. Although a greater percentage of African Americans suffer from these social problems many whites suffer too. But they vote for politicians who characterize leveling the playing field as handouts just for black people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies