Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2020, 12:49 PM

4,661 posts, read 1,951,679 times

Advertisements

even if you enjoy your work few are going to work for less then they could just be staying home. I worked retail a long time ago and i loved my job and the people i worked with. But if i could have stayed at home and made double the money I would have, it would make the difference between going to work for 8hrs a day and just able to pay my bills to staying home relaxing and having extra money to put away for the future, emergencies or just whatever. It's very easy for many to look down on these people if you actually have jobs that already give you a reasonable standard of living and that extra 600 would be nice but it wouldn't be the difference of you being able to go out for lunch and wondering if you can actually afford it or not. Its why i think the government itself has to put a limit on such benefits to not exceed someones normal weekly income or perhaps 80% of it. Enough to meet the needs but still be incentivize to go back to work as soon as they are able. Right now paying people more just incentivizes them to stay home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2020, 12:51 PM

5,581 posts, read 2,307,455 times
Each state requires workers to actively search for work if they are collecting unemployment insurance. The person must prove they are searching for work to the state. The person must fill out an online form and list the business name and business contact where they applied or checked for work. States require a specific number of these entries per week, else the money is cut off. The states also can confirm with the business to see if the person applied. If someone is lying(and not really looking for work), then their check can be cut off.

Old 08-08-2020, 12:52 PM

2,869 posts, read 1,149,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugal Audiophile View Post
Unemployment insurance is for people who were working at one point.
I'm aware of that. The point I'm making is that, in answer to the OP's question, if you are able-bodied, it is reprehensible to expect others to work so you can be on permanent unemployment.

Old 08-08-2020, 12:54 PM

5,581 posts, read 2,307,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldPuss View Post
.... can be on permanent unemployment.
What is "permanent unemployment"?

Old 08-08-2020, 01:10 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,669,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Variable View Post
What is "permanent unemployment"?
Something that liberals can’t or won’t realize isn’t free.

Old 08-08-2020, 01:21 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,333,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
We do not have an equitable free market in wages in this country.

90% of all jobs are non-union. That means each employee has to negotiate wages with their employer, who has a lot more leverage than one employee on the other side of the table with no representation. Furthermore, economic studies show that jobs are highly concentrated in many cities and towns, which gives the employer the upper hand because job alternatives in town are limited. This is called "market power" and a "monopsony."

"The basic idea of monopsony is that if employers don’t have to compete with one another for workers, they can pay less, and workers will be stuck without the outside job offers that would enable them to claim higher wages. The monopsony story is consistent with a wide range of observed labor market phenomena: wage stagnation, declining geographic and job-to-job mobility, deterioration of the job ladder, especially for low-wage and young workers"

An unbalanced job market where the employer has more leverage than the employee fully explains why in the last 15 years worker productivity per hour has gone up by 22% but wages are flat. Employers are hoarding profits, not sharing them with workers, which increases wealth inequality.

This country would be doing a lot better if we had a fair and balanced labor market. Too bad we don't.
Labor unions "work" only in industries where there is a large amount of capital invested per worker, and where the worker is held accountable .... usually by stern discipline in the name of safety, since these occupations tend to be more hazardous. Public utilities, oil and chemicals, and railroads are all good examples.

Of course, they also "work" in the public sector -- where the "producer" faces no competition, and "customer" has no choice but to pay the price -- in the form of taxes.

And you can forget about unions making a difference in low-skill, private-sector service jobs; the workforce is both inadequately-disciplined and easily-replaced.

Viewed on a global, or even a regional basis, the labor market is "fair and balanced"; when I was living temporarily in Southern California (too many years ago) everyone started out at the minimum -- your wages rose if you performed satisfactorily, but there was a point at which they stagnated if you didn't have something more to bring to the table -- just as there was a point at which employee turnover diminished as wages rose for the responsible, and thereby, the desirable. Good-paying jobs usually carry a "price tag" in the form of stress, uncertainty, and domineering management.

This is just the way it is; don't blame the messenger for the content of the message.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 08-08-2020 at 01:40 PM..

Old 08-08-2020, 04:11 PM

35,699 posts, read 21,049,622 times
Well mrT on the “help them out” side. He just signed the EOs to pay $400 per week - stop evictions help with student loans and payroll tax - sooo

Old 08-08-2020, 04:18 PM

5,070 posts, read 2,178,929 times
I hear from tons of people each day begging for people to work for them as everyone is refusing jobs as they get more money sitting at home especially after today!

Old 08-08-2020, 04:21 PM

15,843 posts, read 14,476,031 times
Every state make lip service to require people to look for work, How many actually enforce it? The states should have local clearinghouses for available jobs. If you're on unemployment, you're given a couple of listings. If you don't get hired at one, your unemployment benefits stop (maybe after a few rounds.) If you get fired from the job, you don't get new benefits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Variable View Post
Each state requires workers to actively search for work if they are collecting unemployment insurance. The person must prove they are searching for work to the state. The person must fill out an online form and list the business name and business contact where they applied or checked for work. States require a specific number of these entries per week, else the money is cut off. The states also can confirm with the business to see if the person applied. If someone is lying(and not really looking for work), then their check can be cut off.

Old 08-08-2020, 04:24 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
How many don't want to work and live on unemplyment ?
I am self employed, but I sure wouldn’t mind sitting on my arse for a few months collecting $2400 for goofing off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies