Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2020, 12:53 PM

376 posts, read 102,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
Glad to hear it!

Trump is hemorrhaging voters that supporters him in 2016.

I think Trump loses bigly in November .
He may very well lose, but the polling average is tightening. I am actually surprised they are tightening with the Pandemic still spreading, but Trump just pulled off quite the political trap by signing that EO, so we shall see how that plays out politically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2020, 12:59 PM

464 posts, read 202,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert9 View Post
He did until now. So LOL at that since you think it is so funny
Nice of you to cast a HALF VOTE for Biden, by not voting for Trump. The Democrats applaud you.

Old 08-09-2020, 01:10 PM

13,072 posts, read 7,508,849 times
Trump set to destroy the Constitution inorder to save USA. And as always doing so by his vast intellectual mind and rear end.

Old 08-09-2020, 01:20 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,017,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Just like EO can't legislate immigration law, huh? Hellooooo... DACA. Looks like Obama left "his pen and his phone" in the Oval Office when he left.
DACA isn’t an EO, it’s a memorandum.

If you’re going to cheer on assaults on our constitution and how government is supposed to work, at least understand the basics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
I gotta ask - since Trump has waived the payroll tax from July thru December 2020, will that affect how much money i will receive in Social Security/Medicare when i retire? I want to know how this will affect that.
No change. He doesn’t have the authority to defer the payroll tax.

Old 08-09-2020, 01:32 PM
bu2

24,101 posts, read 14,879,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post

If you’re going to cheer on assaults on our constitution and how government is supposed to work, at least understand the basics.

He has far more authority to defer the payroll tax than Obama did to quit enforcing immigration law. Just quit with the TDS nonsense.

He can't forgive the payroll tax, but has control over when it is collected.

That doesn't mean its a good idea.

Old 08-09-2020, 01:42 PM

18,015 posts, read 27,460,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Variable View Post
Feds cannot force states to pay an extra $100/week. That's not up to the feds. Each state would have to agree.
You've missed the point.

I'm sorry, let me restate that... The Blamestream Lamestream Fakestream Mainstream media that has perpetuated this false fake news on you, has missed the point.

The Feds already gave this money to the States and they are already sitting in possession of it, so President Donald J Trump is just saying, "Spend the money we already gave you on your people now."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
I just saw that (I saw him say it on a YouTube video). Even assuming this executive order was legal (I think not, the president does not have the unilateral spending authority), few if any states have the $100.00 per week that they could apply as their co-pay. I know my state doesn't have it, certainly no red states have it, probably none of the states do.

So effectively, this is a big zero. It's nothing at all. Back to square one.
You are wrong, see above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
Trump laying the political mines for the democrats lol..man they fall for it every time... Now democrats will be outraged that he is helping extend the benefits that some families do need. They will do everything in their power to stop it. This in return will make them look like morons as usual.
This is true.

The democrat congress doesn't give a damn about the American people because they are just trying to block President Donald J Trump from doing something good for America while he sits on the Throne.

Happy Voting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
Exactly. It effectively ends the fed paying unemployment at all. Few if any states will be able to meet the additional contribution requirement.
This is a lie you fell for. They have this money sitting there to spend for exactly this, the 25%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
There's a reason we call her GatorMama, Robert. She has some as pets. And they ate the last guy that smarted off to her. You've been warned.
Badmouthing other members is a violation of TOS, but whatever floats your boat I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriotic Dissent View Post
Does he have the authority? Nah, but its politically brilliant ESPECIALLY if Pelosi and Schumer sue him over this, that shows the American people would prefer illegals to get aid before them since that's what has caused the negotiations to break down AND if a judge stops it Trump can say see folks! Gotta reelect me to get these leftist judges OUT and some real judges in their place.
The Court of Public Opinion, you got it!

Two can play that nasty game.

The democrats fail to realize we can and will beat them at their own nasty games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
The states forced the shut downs . They can pony the bill . Plain and Simple. The rest of the world is open . Only here politics being played are forcing people into breadlines .
Yup.

This has become the Number One voting issue, not, Waa! not my pWesident! Not my cWovid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
This fits in squarely with trying draining the swamp if you think about it for a second. The "swamp" (in this case, Nancy Pelosi and the Democrats) halted progress on immediate aid to struggling Americans due to their insane proposals to forgive student loan debt and to bail out leftist cities and states. So President Trump went around the swamp, which will only hurt the swamp politically as they are seen as standing in the way of people getting relief.
Oh good, someone found the point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Trump knows that this attempt by him to bypass congress won't hold up in court. But he's doing it to try to make himself look as though he's concerned about the people. But he's demonstrated countless times that everything he does is to give himself an advantage and the people occupy a very low priority in his agenda.
Projection your Honor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Heck, that is nothing like what would happen if the left got their way. Be happy not sad for heaven's sake. I understand what you are thinking but I see it in a different light.
When a newbie comes into the P&OC subforum and makes such a claim, I take it with a grain of salt, and a mad dash of North Carolina Reaper.

Last edited by McGowdog; 08-09-2020 at 02:16 PM..

Old 08-09-2020, 01:44 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,017,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
He has far more authority to defer the payroll tax than Obama did to quit enforcing immigration law. Just quit with the TDS nonsense.

He can't forgive the payroll tax, but has control over when it is collected.

That doesn't mean its a good idea.
Matters of the coin are up to Congress.

DACA wasn’t an executive order.

Derka durr.

Old 08-09-2020, 01:51 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,802,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert9 View Post
So all of these lazy people get to have money handed to them for sitting home hurting this economy while the rest of us work!. Trump just now lost my vote!
So vote for the people who will give away twice as much. Good move.

Old 08-09-2020, 01:53 PM

89,006 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post

Maybe Trump should call it a "memorandum," then.

Bet you all regret the fact that Obama left "his pen and his phone" in the Oval Office when he left. Hell, even Roberts (SCOTUS Chief Justice) is upholding such extra-Legislative Branch actions taken by the Executive Branch, even the ones taken by Obama.

Old 08-09-2020, 01:59 PM

957 posts, read 538,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
As Governors are finding out the details --- they are making it clear that this EO is not all it seems to be.

It may take a few days but the shortcomings of this EO will come to light and people will hear about it.

The concept isn't a bad one.

But once again -- Trump is too simple minded and impatient to devise an EO that can't be challenged and that actually is a good compromise and provides a band aid while Congress hashes out the details.

Trump says one thing and the EO says something else.

Why does he do that to himself?
Hes just posturing. Its a show. He knows it wont hold water... but the way it stands, if its challenged.. its the challengers who look like the bad guys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies