Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2020, 09:37 PM

1,950 posts, read 1,128,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Back to work?

Most states continue to follow Federal guidelines for social distancing and gatherings.

Restaurants have to put distance between tables and can operate at x% of capacity.

We dined out this evening and were the only diners in the restaurant. The server said evening business has been dead. People are too afraid to dine out. Only reason they are open is for curb side or home delivery. She was the only server when in pre Covid times there would be 12-15 servers for dinner service.

She made it very clear that if Covid persists, this restaurant will permanently close.

The various restaurant trade associations project 1/3-1/2 of all restaurants will likely close by year end.
New restaurants will open its place in due time. This happens every recession. It's normal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2020, 09:38 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,702,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
i was hoping it was considered like a gift (untaxable) but now it looks like it is considered income and like all income must be reported to the IRS. So whether 2021 or 2022 they are going to get their portion looks like.
Unemployment benefits are taxable income.

Old 08-09-2020, 09:38 PM

33,998 posts, read 17,030,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Back to work?
Many getting the $600 chose not to return.

We added millions of jobs the last 3 months.

Got to go. Interview Monday afternoon. Taking PTO from wfh.

Old 08-09-2020, 10:03 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,631,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
If Congress fails to forgive it, its due the next tax cycle, but since it can be deferred into 2021, that would be the 4-15-2022 IRS filing.
If the President does it EO- why would Congress do anything?

It's his baby- that's why he said he would 'visit it if he wins in November'- basically extortion.

I've already talked to my accountant- it should all be put away to offset the inevitable liability. What smoke and mirrors BS.

Old 08-09-2020, 10:32 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,013,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaceyellis View Post
No actually I didnt
YOU stated that EO and memorandums are two different things.. then slung a soft insult at InformedConsent - saying (s)he clearly has no understanding of what they actually are.

The POINT is that its YOU who (also) lacks understanding of what they are.
In no context was there conversation here about whether Trump was permitted to do either.
They are two different things.

You failed to show how they were not. Just because people refer to them interchangeably doesn’t make them the same thing.

Old 08-09-2020, 10:51 PM

31,885 posts, read 26,916,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
If the President does it EO- why would Congress do anything?

It's his baby- that's why he said he would 'visit it if he wins in November'- basically extortion.

I've already talked to my accountant- it should all be put away to offset the inevitable liability. What smoke and mirrors BS.
Leaving aside legality of said EO you do realize revenue lost to this dog of an idea has to be recovered somehow. That is unless you're cool with DT/GOP plan to kill SS/Medicare by one thousand slow cuts.

Last time there was a payroll tax holiday (part of 2008 recession stimulus package) it brought little in way of "stimulus", but cost SS/Medicare trust funds plenty of money. Those funds had to be put back somehow...

https://www.cbpp.org/research/payrol...-stimulus-idea

https://www.taxpolicycenter.org/brie...imulus-acts-do

https://www.americanactionforum.org/...x_Holidays.pdf

Old 08-10-2020, 04:42 AM

33,998 posts, read 17,030,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post

Last time there was a payroll tax holiday (part of 2008 recession stimulus package) it brought little in way of "stimulus", but cost SS/Medicare trust funds plenty of money.
It was not paid back via higher personal income taxes. It was added to long-term debt. Liberals did not whine at that time.

Old 08-10-2020, 04:46 AM

30,391 posts, read 21,210,559 times
400 is to much.

Old 08-10-2020, 05:16 AM

7,898 posts, read 3,447,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert9 View Post
He did until now. So LOL at that since you think it is so funny
Except you were never going to vote for him. You're new from May 2020, running the long troll as a Trump supporter who we all get to watch slowly turn in to a Trump hater. It's an old shtick. "Oh wow look at this guy go from a Trump supporter in to a Trump hater right before our very eyes! If it's happening to him maybe it's happening to others!"

Old 08-10-2020, 05:25 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,966,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
I was at my fave restaurant today, the waitress was telling me how the restaurant lost so many employees. And she said that their insurance is about to run out and the ex-employees could pay for COBRA, which is the insurance you can continue that you had on your job but it costs about $600

so, even if the people are getting $600 a month or $400, just to pay for insurance, that's going to cost a lot.

What should those people do who are in that situation? just go without insurance?
They do what unemployed workers have done for decades - secure your own insurance or hope you don't get sick.

I was out of work for 5 months last year, and I managed to get insurance with the "regular" unemployment benefits I was allotted. No extra money per week, no deferment of my mortgage, no stimulous. I tightened my belt lived on what I was bringing in every week. It's called "adulting". They should try it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies