Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2020, 05:24 AM

5,071 posts, read 2,180,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RcHydro View Post
If you're any kind of an adult. You know this is temporary. Having no job, and probably cancelled healthcare isnt getting you anywhere. Its not much of a future. I dare say the majority of these people are not living it up as most think.
Then why are they turning down jobs and not going back to ones they had because they say they are getting more now being home? Some have said they now have enough to buy a new car which they never would have had if they were still at work!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2020, 05:42 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert9 View Post
Then why are they turning down jobs and not going back to ones they had because they say they are getting more now being home? Some have said they now have enough to buy a new car which they never would have had if they were still at work!
How many people fall into the above scenarios?

Old 08-14-2020, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
How many people fall into the above scenarios?
Quite a few it seems and the more I talk to people the more I hear these same things. Or others tell me they know many who have said the same. I have talked to many bosses who need help and cannot get anyone because of this or their people wont return to work. Job recruiters too omg they are really hurting trying to get poeple to take jobs they have! People do not want to work for less when they get so much money now to sit home. They say they will go back when this ends because rthey love seeing their savings and checking accounts go up for once!

Think about it not only do they get a ton of extra money on top of the basic UI they would get. They are getting tons of free money on food cards as well! A friend of mine just accepted a job and he now lost ALL of that! The free money and the free food! he regrets deeply taking this job!

Old 08-14-2020, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Quite a few it seems and the more I talk to people the more I hear these same things. Or others tell me they know many who have said the same. I have talked to many bosses who need help and cannot get anyone because of this or their people wont return to work. Job recruiters too omg they are really hurting trying to get poeple to take jobs they have! People do not want to work for less when they get so much money now to sit home. They say they will go back when this ends because rthey love seeing their savings and checking accounts go up for once!
Data, not anecdotes.

Every single unemployed person I've talked to can't wait to get back to work. MI unemployment is capped at less than $1500/mo without the Fed Gov kicker payments, though. Other states that pay more might be a different story.

Old 08-14-2020, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Data, not anecdotes.

Every single unemployed person I've talked to can't wait to get back to work. MI unemployment is capped at less than $1500/mo without the Fed Gov kicker payments, though. Other states that pay more might be a different story.

Then you did not read anything I said.

Old 08-14-2020, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Then you did not read anything I said which means you wasted my time.
I read it all. "Quite a few" and "many bosses" and "recruiters too" is not data.

Old 08-14-2020, 06:15 AM

Quote:
I read it all. "Quite a few" and "many bosses" and "recruiters too" is not data.
No its reality. And you are the one who asked me. If you do not wants answers then do not waste my time. This may be a joke to you, but it isn't to most of us

Old 08-14-2020, 06:27 AM

Quote:
No its reality. And you are the one who asked me. If you do not wants answers then do not waste my time. This may be a joke to you, but it isn't to most of us
Data is "answers". Anecdotes are fairytales.

This is absolutely not a joke. So, how many people are choosing not to go back to work and how many people are buying new cars with all that .gov money?

Old 08-14-2020, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Data is "answers". Anecdotes are fairytales.

This is absolutely not a joke. So, how many people are choosing not to go back to work and how many people are buying new cars with all that .gov money?
Glad you find people struggling to be funny. How nice for you. Real life might be a fairy tale to you but not to these real people

Old 08-14-2020, 06:44 AM

81 posts, read 49,004 times
Quote:
Data, not anecdotes.

Thank you. I don’t know anyone who’s “living it up” while unemployed. I’m waiting to be called back to work still (laid off since March). I work in hospitality which has been gutted. I had a good job with benefits, which I no longer have. Being in my mid 40s with no health insurance now is scary. I worked there 11 years. Unemployment is a pay cut for me, not everyone who’s been laid off was a low wage earner (I worked accounting, I was not a waitress or housekeeper like most automatically assume). Some of our laid off sales managers were making triple digits. Also.... if you are called back to work and refuse then unemployment benefits END. No one can choose to not go back and continue collecting.
Anyway, I WANT to go back to work and so does everyone I know, but it’s not my fault that this virus has shut our economy. Thankfully my SO is still employed (essential). I very well may have to find a new job altogether, but everything is still a “we don’t know what’s happening tomorrow” limbo.
I’ve been smart with my UE benefits and saving it, not everyone is buying new cars and TVs . With that said, I do know some co workers took the opportunity to go on a cross country road trip (not smart IMO and they assumed we’d be back to work at this time, and nope).
The only jobs available where I live are fast food restaurants and maybe Walmart, jobs which are offering minimum wage and less than 20 hours a week. Who can survive on that?
Three restaurants (carry out only) in the downtown sector of my town, have “help wanted” signs but they arent actually hiring right now. They’re just taking applications so maybe they’ll need more people when things open up...and nobody knows when that will be! What’s the point of that?
My hotel alone laid off over 80% of staff, from all departments.
If a business can’t find workers maybe they should consider paying living wages?
Anyway sorry for long rant, my point is that this is not fun and games. I understand a lot of essential workers are “jealous” of the extra benefits we’ve had (which was temporary and we all knew that!), but at least you (collective you who are still employed) still have your job and benefits. This is a scary uncertain time for a lot of us, and being shamed for being laid off doesn’t help anyone.

Last edited by Huffskies; 08-14-2020 at 06:49 AM.. Reason: Edit for spelling errors
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies