Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2020, 04:42 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,926,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffskies View Post
Thank you. I don’t know anyone who’s “living it up” while unemployed. I’m waiting to be called back to work still (laid off since March). I work in hospitality which has been gutted. I had a good job with benefits, which I no longer have. Being in my mid 40s with no health insurance now is scary. I worked there 11 years. Unemployment is a pay cut for me, not everyone who’s been laid off was a low wage earner (I worked accounting, I was not a waitress or housekeeper like most automatically assume). Some of our laid off sales managers were making triple digits. Also.... if you are called back to work and refuse then unemployment benefits END. No one can choose to not go back and continue collecting.
Anyway, I WANT to go back to work and so does everyone I know, but it’s not my fault that this virus has shut our economy. Thankfully my SO is still employed (essential). I very well may have to find a new job altogether, but everything is still a “we don’t know what’s happening tomorrow” limbo.
I’ve been smart with my UE benefits and saving it, not everyone is buying new cars and TVs . With that said, I do know some co workers took the opportunity to go on a cross country road trip (not smart IMO and they assumed we’d be back to work at this time, and nope).
The only jobs available where I live are fast food restaurants and maybe Walmart, jobs which are offering minimum wage and less than 20 hours a week. Who can survive on that?
Three restaurants (carry out only) in the downtown sector of my town, have “help wanted” signs but they arent actually hiring right now. They’re just taking applications so maybe they’ll need more people when things open up...and nobody knows when that will be! What’s the point of that?
My hotel alone laid off over 80% of staff, from all departments.
If a business can’t find workers maybe they should consider paying living wages?
Anyway sorry for long rant, my point is that this is not fun and games. I understand a lot of essential workers are “jealous” of the extra benefits we’ve had (which was temporary and we all knew that!), but at least you (collective you who are still employed) still have your job and benefits. This is a scary uncertain time for a lot of us, and being shamed for being laid off doesn’t help anyone.
I can identify with you. My wife and I both are being furloughed Oct 1st. We make very good money together, and will be depending upon public assistance for the first time in our lives. We have some savings, but is it enough to allow us to keep our home until we are recalled, if we even are recalled? It all comes down to how much unemployment we get. Even with the old $600/wk supplement plus state, it's a fraction of our income now. We will certainly not be living the high life, but instead one of pinching every single penny. Back in March when I saw how my industry was being impacted we went into "save every penny" mode, so this will just be an extension of that I guess. My income alone will be impossible for me to replace in any other job. It took me nearly 25 years to climb up to my position and income in a highly specialized occupation. In my mid 40s I'm screwed if I have to start over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2020, 05:18 PM

5,581 posts, read 2,303,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert9 View Post
I saw several familys heading to a private pool nearby with their beach towels laughing having a good time getting all of this free money handed to them while employers struggle as people will not go back to work! Must be nice
Unemployed people aren't allowed to go to swimming pools with their beach towels in the summer?

Old 08-15-2020, 05:29 PM

3,163 posts, read 1,724,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
I can identify with you. My wife and I both are being furloughed Oct 1st. We make very good money together, and will be depending upon public assistance for the first time in our lives. We have some savings, but is it enough to allow us to keep our home until we are recalled, if we even are recalled? It all comes down to how much unemployment we get. Even with the old $600/wk supplement plus state, it's a fraction of our income now. We will certainly not be living the high life, but instead one of pinching every single penny. Back in March when I saw how my industry was being impacted we went into "save every penny" mode, so this will just be an extension of that I guess. My income alone will be impossible for me to replace in any other job. It took me nearly 25 years to climb up to my position and income in a highly specialized occupation. In my mid 40s I'm screwed if I have to start over.
Would your position not come back in better times?

Old 08-15-2020, 06:37 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,926,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful for Life View Post
Would your position not come back in better times?
If my company survives and I get recalled, sure. eventually. If they don't, moving to a new company means starting back on the bottom of pay scale that I've climbed for years and years. It's based on a combo of position and seniority per specific company.

Old 08-15-2020, 06:38 PM

957 posts, read 537,393 times
Quote:
I never said that but ok
No actually what you said is that you saw people headed to a private pool... laughing... while they were getting all this free money handed to them.

Do you know these people? Do you know they are 'getting free money handed to them' ?

Do you know why they were headed to a private pool?

Do you know what has been going on in their lives?

I doubt you do... or you would have said 'my neighbors' or 'my friends' or 'these people I know' NOT just some random 'people'.

THATS where the 'assumption' on your part comes into play.

Old 08-15-2020, 06:40 PM

957 posts, read 537,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Variable View Post
Unemployed people aren't allowed to go to swimming pools with their beach towels in the summer?
You forgot the 'laughing and having a good time' part... thats not allowed either.

Old 08-15-2020, 06:50 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times
Well, I hope you're all learning that an Executive Order to put money in people's pocket puts exactly zero (as in 0) $$$'s into their pockets. I also hope you're catching on that this was just a publicity stunt by Chump designed to generate a few cheap headlines that he's trying to help people--when in reality he knows this little stunt isn't going to help people onto the toilet much less help them pay the bills.

Last edited by thrillobyte; 08-15-2020 at 07:14 PM..

Old 08-15-2020, 06:53 PM

5,069 posts, read 2,175,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaceyellis View Post
No actually what you said is that you saw people headed to a private pool... laughing... while they were getting all this free money handed to them.

Do you know these people? Do you know they are 'getting free money handed to them' ?

Do you know why they were headed to a private pool?

Do you know what has been going on in their lives?

I doubt you do... or you would have said 'my neighbors' or 'my friends' or 'these people I know' NOT just some random 'people'.

THATS where the 'assumption' on your part comes into play.
Only one assuming is You. because I do know some of the people I saw very well. being here for many years I have gotton to know many people in this area. See what happens when you assume. Oh and even if I did not know some of them the fact its a dead end street and there are two places to go. A pool and the woods and they had towels, beach ball and wearing swimsuits where do you think they were going?

Last edited by Robert9; 08-15-2020 at 07:01 PM..

Old 08-15-2020, 08:30 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,592,604 times
Quote:
Only one assuming is You. because I do know some of the people I saw very well. being here for many years I have gotton to know many people in this area. See what happens when you assume. Oh and even if I did not know some of them the fact its a dead end street and there are two places to go. A pool and the woods and they had towels, beach ball and wearing swimsuits where do you think they were going?
So even if you didn't know some of them, but state they're unemployed, is puzzling. How does the fact that they were going to the beach prove they're collecting unemployment? This is the part that isn't making sense.

Old 08-15-2020, 09:02 PM

81 posts, read 48,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
I’m very sorry, it must be exceptionally difficult with both of you facing this at the same time. I guess we just gotta hang in there and hope things turn around? I wake up in the morning now with a strange anxiety I’m not familiar with and can’t quite grasp, an almost sense of immediate panic and despair that I don’t know what to do with the day and what’s going to happen next.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies