Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2020, 08:29 PM

39,861 posts, read 26,482,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I'd like to see what you keyboard warriors would do at your work if given a directive you disagree with. No doubt you all would resign in protest.

The reason most teachers don't look forward to having parents involved is because most of them are dumbasses, as any thread on teachers here always proves.

It gets tiresome answering emails at midnight about why you neglected to tell the kids that Gen. Grant was a binge drinker.
The reason that most teachers don't want parents involved, is that many (most?) teachers are dumbasses. We have dumbed down the school systems to allow anyone with a piece of paper that says "teacher" on it to teach, removed accountability and the failures of our schools have our kids as some of the poorest performing in the world. The fear is that so many parents will learn just how bad our school systems are-and what our "teachers" are inflicting on the students instead of educating them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2020, 08:35 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,744,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
Anything that exposes the left for what it really is cannot be a bad thing. Teacher unions and leftist politicians want virtual online school, you got it baby!
If we have to transition to online learning, the great thing is we won't need as many teachers. Local governments can strip away funding and lay off the teachers until school can resume in person again. But "defund police and redistribute money to education" activists won't be happy about it.

Old 08-10-2020, 08:41 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,607 posts, read 17,927,273 times
I believe these are teens that he teaches, and yes, if parents are sitting in listening the students will be less willing to be honest.

Those of us who raised kids know that when they were teens, when we took them for their yearly well checks we were asked to leave the room so the doctor could have an honest conversation with them. The kids would say things to the doctor they wouldn't say in the presence of a parent.

Same thing, likely.

Teens need to have conversations outside of their parent's earshot, and parents who are so controlling that they won't allow that are a problem. IMHO.

Last edited by ClaraC; 08-10-2020 at 09:06 PM..

Old 08-10-2020, 10:19 PM

3,827 posts, read 1,780,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I hadn't thought of that... very interesting.

Maybe we shouldn't be hasty about this whole back to the classroom idea...

This statement is troubling... education should be free and open, if it's good. Nothing to hide with math, english, science...

I wouldn't want him teaching my kids.

Old 08-10-2020, 10:28 PM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
A lesson I taught my kids when they were young lads: If you feel the need to hide something, that's your brain telling you that you're doing something wrong.
The hairs on the back of my neck go up and then I know it's wrong. You're a good Dad.

Old 08-10-2020, 10:32 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,752,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
Matthew is concerned that parents might offer opposing views to their equity and inclusion brainwashing. If I had a kid attending this school, I'd be rather concerned about what's being taught to them.

His twitter account is now set to private, so here's an archived link.
https://archive.is/2p5FT#selection-3057.209-3057.230
So now trumpsters are bashing teachers? What's next? Bashing the mailman? Ohhhh wait..

Old 08-11-2020, 02:30 AM

3,743 posts, read 1,440,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
Matthew is concerned that parents might offer opposing views to their equity and inclusion brainwashing. If I had a kid attending this school, I'd be rather concerned about what's being taught to them.

His twitter account is now set to private, so here's an archived link.
https://archive.is/2p5FT#selection-3057.209-3057.230
With the Pandemic. Lecture halls and classrooms are virtually shutdown. Teachers and professors would be able to teach gender, LGBT, American Indian and black studies which are all contraversial topics to begin. Also teach whiteness studies and critical race theory courses. Now with a pandemic, teachers and professors can not teach such items to the best of their abilities. I'm sure teachers can teach diversity and inclusion through media. Teaching to children via zoom is not easy due to computer itself being a distraction and a kid could have youtube running on a side panel.

Educators should be happy for the media, especially wi j George Floyd killing in which the media can spread. Anti racism and inclusion rhetoric.

Old 08-11-2020, 02:31 AM

45,336 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
The reason that most teachers don't want parents involved, is that many (most?) teachers are dumbasses. We have dumbed down the school systems to allow anyone with a piece of paper that says "teacher" on it to teach, removed accountability and the failures of our schools have our kids as some of the poorest performing in the world. The fear is that so many parents will learn just how bad our school systems are-and what our "teachers" are inflicting on the students instead of educating them.
You really don't pay very good attention.

Schools reflect their community's values, not those of the teachers.

Like I said about two posts ago, pop into your kids' online classes and start talking about your dick. That's what a lot of parents will do.

Old 08-11-2020, 02:41 AM

1,750 posts, read 752,952 times
In all seriousness, as someone who is recently removed from high school (graduated a year ago)...English class has basically become social justice class and should be renamed as such. History...depending on the teacher isn't too far behind. I realize I am only speaking about my experience other students at the same school or different school could disagree.

Although I do think Democrats are usually more correct...a lot of teachers do not allow differing view points from the current Democratic view point and push poor logic to silence disagreements.

Check out this thread where I in detail illustrate my objections to the way that my English teachers pushed an agenda with bad Kafka Trapping logic:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/poli...-trapping.html

Old 08-11-2020, 03:02 AM

8,885 posts, read 5,365,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
"Involvement" from a teacher's perspective, is supporting the class such as making sure homework is done. Going further out is making sure the kid is fed (a stretch for a lot of parents) and rested (meaning not sharing your weed with your kid).

Involvement isn't interrupting the class during the Holocaust lesson to tell you that your preacher said Jews deserved it (true story except that it happened at a parent conference). Or make jokes about your drug use. Or talk about something about someone you read but aren't sure of the details.

Look at what so many people think should be included in the school as classes. Now you're going to have 30 students (or 100 like a couple of you have suggested) plus 30 parents in your class.

An upside to seeing the parent gives you insight about why the kid is the way he is.
Well I guess we wouldn't have met your expectations of properly involved parents.

We got uppity when DD's 4th grade teacher told her that New England was NEVER covered with a mile of ice. (it certainly was.)

Our sons were told to draw a map of all the states of the Midwest, and be certain to include all 5 of the Great Lakes. DH wrote an Email back to say that the boys weren't able to do this, as Lake Ontario just plain refuses to move out of upstate New York to the Midwest.

I'd be delighted to give some more examples of our failure to be properly involved parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies