Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2020, 06:46 AM

3,749 posts, read 1,442,152 times

Advertisements

You guys have to remember that these teachers especially freshly minted ones straight out of the university. These ideas are all coming out of the moral institution of academia. Also this is nothing new. Our moral institutions can give way in the name of morality in which the institution view what is right to them and what is wrong. We saw this with the clergy historically in the United States such as Salem witch trials and with anti anarchist and anti communist movements like mcartyism.

I'm In agreement with academia that racism is bad, sexism is bad as well as homophobia is bad. Sadly all of such are part of human nature. If academia wants to change the way people think. Academia must do with Christianity, islam and even what communist and nazis did. Pick up weapons and kill and make people change their viewpoints. If I wanted to end racism and sexism, and make the world inclusive. That's what I would do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2020, 08:36 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,209,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
What we know from experience, seeing the resulting young people running around smashing the country and burning everything down: They are being taught hatred for white people. Black kids are being taught that's it's okay to hate white people and tells them all the terrible things that their great great great grandparents suffered through. White people are taught to hate themselves. Other minorities are similarly indoctrinated, told all the crimes of white people throughout history and they are likewise taught to hate white people.

Jesus wasn't wrong whether you believe in him or not. "By their fruits ye shall know them." The fruits of our educational system has been a whole lot of self-hating white kids, a whole lot of white hating black and other minority kids, and a whole lot of Marxist nonsense.

Do you consider the preaching of hatred to be appropriate at our schools?
a good place to note there's exactly 1 group of people in America who disfavor their race - White Liberals.

I don't know whether Black people are taught intentionally or not to hate white people, or if they even DO hate white people (a majority of Blacks do, a supermajority, 90%, whatever).

Old 08-11-2020, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
The reason that most teachers don't want parents involved, is that many (most?) teachers are dumbasses. We have dumbed down the school systems to allow anyone with a piece of paper that says "teacher" on it to teach, removed accountability and the failures of our schools have our kids as some of the poorest performing in the world. The fear is that so many parents will learn just how bad our school systems are-and what our "teachers" are inflicting on the students instead of educating them.
I disagree - at least in my school system. I'm sure there are union systems where bad teachers are protected, and so their ranks grow over time. And yes, we've encountered a "bad teacher" that basically lost her **** one day and started yelling at kids without sufficient reason. And she went to a different school.

If teachers are bad or underqualified, it's because we don't value them enough. You can't say you want more than a "piece of paper" but then pay them no better (if as well as) than every other person with just a piece of paper.

Old 08-11-2020, 09:25 AM

88,989 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
I disagree - at least in my school system. I'm sure there are union systems where bad teachers are protected, and so their ranks grow over time. And yes, we've encountered a "bad teacher" that basically lost her **** one day and started yelling at kids without sufficient reason. And she went to a different school.

If teachers are bad or underqualified, it's because we don't value them enough. You can't say you want more than a "piece of paper" but then pay them no better (if as well as) than every other person with just a piece of paper.
There's NO way you're going to convince anyone to pay teachers more when THESE are the results:

Percent of 12th grade students of each race/ethnicity who are proficient or above, by race/ethnicity group:

Mathematics:

Overall: 26%

Asian/Pacific Islander: 47%
White: 33%
American Indian/Alaska Native: 12%
Hispanic: 12%
Black: 7%

Reading:

Overall: 38%

Asian/Pacific Islander: 47%
White: 47%
American Indian/Alaska Native: 26%
Hispanic: 23%
Black: 16%

National Assessment of Educational Progress - NAEP - 12th Grade Mathematics and Reading

And...

Quote:
"U.S. millennials performed horribly.

That might even be an understatement, given the extent of the American shortcomings. No matter how you sliced the data – by class, by race, by education – young Americans were laggards compared to their international peers. In every subject, U.S. millennials ranked at the bottom or very close to it, according to a new study by testing company ETS.

“We were taken aback,†said ETS researcher Anita Sands. “We tend to think millennials are really savvy in this area. But that’s not what we are seeing.â€

...This exam [OECD's PIAAC], given in 23 countries, assessed the thinking abilities and workplace skills of adults. It focused on literacy, math and technological problem-solving. The goal was to figure out how prepared people are to work in a complex, modern society. And U.S. millennials performed horribly...

But surely America’s brightest were on top?

Nope.

U.S. millennials with master’s degrees and doctorates did better than their peers in only three countries, Ireland, Poland and Spain...The ETS study noted that a decade ago the skill level of American adults was judged mediocre. “Now it is below even that.†So Millennials are falling even further behind.

Top-scoring US millennials – the 90th percentile on the PIAAC test – were at the bottom internationally, ranking higher only than their peers in Spain.
The bottom scorers (10th percentile) also lagged behind their peers."
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.caf173a2db29

Let that sink in...

"But surely America’s brightest were on top?

Nope."

Old 08-11-2020, 09:28 AM

teachers are paid locally, by their district and state. The all-powerful DOE pays about 10% of school budgets.

Old 08-11-2020, 09:59 AM

21,467 posts, read 10,570,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
It's a magnet school with a little less than 500 students. 66% minority and they've won awards.

This teacher is an author of a book about having meaningful conversations about race in the classroom. So maybe he's going to teach white privilege and some parents may have a problem with that. I'm guessing here....
Maybe because white privilege is bs, and requires teachers to make white children feel like they are racists for events that happened long before they were born. And maybe there is only economic privilege.

Old 08-11-2020, 10:20 AM

20,329 posts, read 19,918,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I'd like to see what you keyboard warriors would do at your work if given a directive you disagree with. No doubt you all would resign in protest.

The reason most teachers don't look forward to having parents involved is because most of them are dumbasses, as any thread on teachers here always proves.

It gets tiresome answering emails at midnight about why you neglected to tell the kids that Gen. Grant was a binge drinker.
Wow!

My wife and I were very involved with our son's education and if he had any teachers like you he got through it and over it.

Thank God.

Did you teach anything positive about Grant, Eisenhower, Truman and other whites that may not be acceptable to today's SJW teachers and activists?

Old 08-11-2020, 10:28 AM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,068,439 times
All teachers and school administrators are doing is making themselves irrelevant with this kind of behavior. My school district is begging kids to register for school. Only little over half have done so, now three weeks out from school.

More restrictions, more politics, more worrying about themselves and not the kids equals less pupils, less money, less need for teachers and administrators. Second order thinking isn't their best attribute.

Old 08-11-2020, 11:25 AM

88,989 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tolovefromANFIELD View Post
All teachers and school administrators are doing is making themselves irrelevant with this kind of behavior. My school district is begging kids to register for school. Only little over half have done so, now three weeks out from school.

More restrictions, more politics, more worrying about themselves and not the kids equals less pupils, less money, less need for teachers and administrators. Second order thinking isn't their best attribute.
Exactly.

Old 08-11-2020, 11:51 AM

4,383 posts, read 4,234,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
a good place to note there's exactly 1 group of people in America who disfavor their race - White Liberals.

I don't know whether Black people are taught intentionally or not to hate white people, or if they even DO hate white people (a majority of Blacks do, a supermajority, 90%, whatever).
It's been a long time ago now, but I actually asked my students what they remember being taught about white people. The basic answer was "You can't trust them." I thought that was fair, considering the experiences that my students and their families were likely to have had with white people. They did not say that they had been taught to hate white people. This was in a group of students that I had taught for over a year, so we had a relationship where they trusted me more than they might have trusted a random white person.

I was always curious about what my own school peers had been taught about Black people. I remember clearly an incident in 8th grade (1972) where the school bully called me a "n***** lover." I guess he got that from his family. I was never taught to denigrate Blacks, despite growing up in segregated Mississippi in the 1960-70s. This incident likely happened because I had Black friends. I suppose I should be glad that was the worst thing that happened to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies