Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2020, 11:51 AM

36,500 posts, read 30,843,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I believe these are teens that he teaches, and yes, if parents are sitting in listening the students will be less willing to be honest.

Those of us who raised kids know that when they were teens, when we took them for their yearly well checks we were asked to leave the room so the doctor could have an honest conversation with them. The kids would say things to the doctor they wouldn't say in the presence of a parent.

Same thing, likely.

Teens need to have conversations outside of their parent's earshot, and parents who are so controlling that they won't allow that are a problem. IMHO.
Wouldn't that apply to an entire classroom as well. Sure teens want privacy concerning private medical issues, who doesn't. What would be so sensitive in a classroom participation that a student could speak freely to a teacher and the entire class but would have a problem with a parent hearing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2020, 12:10 PM

3,976 posts, read 1,989,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiociolliscalves View Post
As I think you know, I'm a public school teacher. These teachers are worried about this because they understand that indoctrinating their students requires them to do it without the knowledge of their students' "problematic" parents and their "problematic ideas." The assumption with every single teacher who gets into the social justice/Woke cult is that parents are ignorant and intolerant and full of all those -isms.

Anytime another teacher uses the social justice lingo and uses words like, "preferred pronouns," my estimation of her intelligence drops precipitously. I try to avoid those teachers like the plague because they are invariably narcissistic, intolerant (in the true sense of the term), divisive, and think they're five steps ahead when they're actually three steps behind.
Bless you!

Teachers like you give me hope for my not yet school aged grandchildren.

The content of the OP's link does not surprise me at all.

My youngest daughter's 4th grade teacher, although a nice guy, was a card carrying communist, teaching in her fairly conservative private school (salary was good) in South Africa where we lived at the time. He tried to slip in lessons outside of the curriculum on taxes, wealth inequality, gender roles and a couple of other things to her class, which prompted me to have a discussion with him.

We seemed to come to terms in our discussion, but he asked me to read an interactive website/ blog he contributed to call Radical Teacher. He claimed they have a U.S. membership of more than a million members.

About – Radical Teacher

I was horrified at the content.

Old 08-11-2020, 12:18 PM

45,349 posts, read 60,534,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Wouldn't that apply to an entire classroom as well. Sure teens want privacy concerning private medical issues, who doesn't. What would be so sensitive in a classroom participation that a student could speak freely to a teacher and the entire class but would have a problem with a parent hearing?
Because parents gossip their asses off.

There are still school systems out there that consider a teacher having a beer in a restaurant a firing offense.

So, let's say a kid in a Sociology class says something a parent disagrees with (from any political viewpoint) and that parent starts to complain to the school system about the kid (and yeah, I've seen it happen. The one Goth kid we had was put through pure Hell by a couple parents who saw her at a football game).

Stop and think about online for a minute. Class is going along with the 30 kids and some parents monitoring. I can guarantee there will be that one parent who will just have to comment about something or someone. Which gets another parent involved.

Now what?

Old 08-11-2020, 01:09 PM

8,886 posts, read 5,367,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Looks like it ....

Old 08-11-2020, 01:10 PM

8,886 posts, read 5,367,816 times
Quote:
I'm sure teachers do as well. What's your point?

Old 08-11-2020, 01:19 PM

3,976 posts, read 1,989,664 times
Quote:

There are still school systems out there that consider a teacher having a beer in a restaurant a firing offense.

So, let's say a kid in a Sociology class says something a parent disagrees with (from any political viewpoint) and that parent starts to complain to the school system about the kid (and yeah, I've seen it happen. The one Goth kid we had was put through pure Hell by a couple parents who saw her at a football game).

Stop and think about online for a minute. Class is going along with the 30 kids and some parents monitoring. I can guarantee there will be that one parent who will just have to comment about something or someone. Which gets another parent involved.

Now what?
Your concerns seem reasonable.

But when a progressive public school teacher claims teaching about race and gender "are in their wheelhouse", and focus on concerns about so called conservative parents observing what they are teaching, then it is past time to dig in and see what the hell they are teaching.

Teachers are paid and entrusted with children, but that trust is certainly earned. Sometimes talking to other trusted parents is the right thing to do.

If the progressive nonsense is part of the curriculum, then the parents have obligation to find that out also.

Old 08-11-2020, 01:20 PM

36,500 posts, read 30,843,355 times
Quote:

Now what?
Im not sure what a teacher having a beer has to do with not wanting parents knowing what your teaching their kids, especially concerning, politics, racism, white privilege, etc.
You dont think parents are going to know or overhear controversial things teachers say and complain without having direct access to the classroom?

My kid tells me a lot of what goes on and is said in his classes from politics (both sides), teachers opinions on many topics; religion, social norms, homosexuality, racism, etc. things I both agree and disagree with.
The very nature of teaching is going to put you in a position of some interference by a few parents or even other teachers. And the very nature of parenting puts you in a position of have open dialogue with your children.

Old 08-11-2020, 01:40 PM

20,329 posts, read 19,917,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snebarekim View Post
......But when a progressive public school teacher claims teaching about race and gender "are in their wheelhouse", and focus on concerns about so called conservative parents observing
That is appalling.

Once employees of the state, in this case teachers, want to remove parents from the education equation it's nothing more than indoctrination in the style of Red China, the Soviet Union and NAZI Germany.

I find North Beach's categorization of his student's parents equally appalling.

Now, to be fair and open minded, if he's teaching in an an urban school filled with students whose parents don't care about schooling or consider being educated as "acting white" I might better understand and possibly agree with his position.

Old 08-11-2020, 01:45 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,370,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintergirl80 View Post
School should be focused on teaching real subjects; Math, History, literature, Science, foreign Language etc....not brain washing students with leftist ideology. Parents have a right to see what is being taught.

Math, History, literature, Science, foreign Language etc. are inventions of the racist meritocracy!

Old 08-11-2020, 02:22 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,887,972 times
It is ironic because while I was on lunch break, I had a talk with a teacher friend and co-worker who is in my department, about this. We started on reopenong phases for special education students. I had a parent ask if we record things because her son left a group session. The department psychologist said we don't. That is because especially with the kids we work with it is confidential unless it is a mandatory reporting issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies