Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2020, 04:26 PM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,045,878 times

Advertisements

We've had it drilled into the collective national psyche since mid-April, 2020:

"Wear a mask or other face covering to protect others"

Here's where the law, and interpretation come in:

The way I interpret that mandate is the same way I would interpret your rights in a police state -

"Guilty until proven innocent".... "SICK until proven Well & Healthy"

When local, state, and national government, along with retailers and other businesses, tell you "your facial covering is for the protection of(to protect) others", to me, that implies they are telling you that you have whatever a face mask is supposed to "protect others" from.

I gracefully extend the stage.... . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2020, 04:38 PM

2,146 posts, read 3,066,296 times
Or how about this is little enough to do to protect others ?

And perhaps this should be moved to the politics thread, as you want to argue about actions of a “police state.”

Old 08-08-2020, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reebo View Post
Or how about this is little enough to do to protect others ?

And perhaps this should be moved to the politics thread, as you
want to argue about actions of a “police state.”
Yeah, I looked for a 'Law/Legal' sub-branch here, City doesn't seem to have one, yet. So I posted in my next best sub-forum.

It really is about the legal remifications of the request though, the way it's worded.

Old 08-08-2020, 05:16 PM

22,667 posts, read 24,639,634 times
Mask-mandates give more and more power/control to government, brilliantly evil.

Covid-19 is spreading like wildfire, mask or not.......and the death-rate is very, very low.

Old 08-08-2020, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Mask-mandates give more and more power/control
to government, brilliantly evil.

Covid-19 is spreading like wildfire, mask or not.......and the death-rate is
very, very low.

Ok, and what about the italicized text which is the topic? Is it akin to suggesting one is 'guilty until proven innocent' - the opposite of how the American justice system works?

Old 08-08-2020, 07:44 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,239,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
Ok, and what about the italicized text which is the topic? Is it akin to suggesting one is 'guilty until proven innocent' - the opposite of how the American justice system works?
What is your point exactly???

The way to beat a pandemic is exactly what you stated....assume you HAVE the disease and act accordingly...stay away from others....wear a mask to protect others....

What is hard to understand about that and what does it have to do with a court of law and "innocent until proven guilty"?

It is a FACT that asymptomatic carriers of this virus can expose and infect others before they ever have symptoms or without ever developing symptoms themselves...

Great for the carrier not so great for those they infect who may not be so lucky regarding symptoms or who in turn pass it on to someone who becomes very ill and dies...

But yeah, don't inconvenience yourself for the few minutes a day you might need to wear a mask in order to protect others....

Certainly human lives aren't worth inconveniencing you or any of the others that wrack their brains looking for reasons not to wear a mask....

Old 08-08-2020, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
What is your point exactly???

The way to beat a pandemic is exactly what you stated....assume you HAVE the
disease and act accordingly...stay away from others....wear a mask to protect others....

What is hard to understand about that and what does it have to do with a court of
law and "innocent until proven guilty"?

It is a FACT that asymptomatic carriers of this virus can expose and infect others
before they ever have symptoms or without ever developing symptoms themselves...

Great for the carrier not so great for those they infect who may not be so lucky regarding
symptoms or who in turn pass it on to someone who becomes very ill and dies...

But yeah, don't inconvenience yourself for the few minutes a day you might need to wear
a mask in order to protect others....

Certainly human lives aren't worth inconveniencing you or any of the others that wrack
their brains looking for reasons not to wear a mask....
But I personally equate the insinuation with "Guilty until proven innocent", which is the opposite of how the American justice process operates.

Old 08-08-2020, 08:40 PM

3,458 posts, read 2,440,487 times
Here's your rebuttal:

Assume everyone you come in contact with is innocent, and don't be the judge, jury, and executioner by refusing to wear a mask in their presence.

If they are guilty of a crime, then you can visit your local constabulary and accuse them of one. Until then, keep your unmasked face away from them. Or - put on a mask.

Old 08-09-2020, 03:58 AM

2,146 posts, read 3,066,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
But I personally equate the insinuation with "Guilty until proven innocent", which is the opposite of how the American justice process operates.
This isn’t about the justice system, so the guilt/innocence comparison doesn’t apply.

Old 08-09-2020, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reebo View Post
This isn’t about the justice system, so the guilt/innocence
comparison doesn’t apply.
I was just drawing a parallel, that's all.

I still feel that the medical establishment pushing this "Sick until proven well" mantra is wrong.

What should have happened back in February is that EVERYONE IN THE U.S. is tested - REGARDLESS of indication or lack of.

Those that test positive for Covid19, or its anti-bodies, are the ones that are quarantined, not the whole nation. Once they are healthy, they must still wear a mask in public for a period of fourteen days beyond their hospitalization or quarantine period, not every man, woman, and child over 3yrs old. Social distancing protocols are still enforced in public, at least until the curve is flattened or reverses, but businesses, schools, gyms, churches, etc. can remain open, and not destroy the greatest economy, up to that point, in years.

But good ol' American hubris, pride, and arrogance got in the way of all that - and I do not blame only Trump, or any other high official, of any political party, solely for this present mess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies