Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2020, 10:22 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,695,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
The only way I can see this happening is if Trump is antiVax and if it were to happen, I think it would get found out rather quickly by a whistle-blower report.
That didn't stop him before. His goal is to get elected. What is going to happen if on November 4th it is discovered the "FDA-approved" vaccine was a placebo (or a simply not effective vaccine) pushed by Trump?

Nothing. He'd stay in office until January 2025. The Impeachment Trial proved that Trump will not be held accountable by Republicans. A smoking gun could be found on a Trump scandal and it will simply be dismissed as not a smoking gun. Or "Let the American people decide his fate" which is the line Republicans used earlier in 2020 to justify why they would not pursue witnesses or why they would vote to acquit him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2020, 12:02 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,196,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellopity View Post
Experts have outlined the reasons why the COVID vaccine trials currently in phase 3 trials will not get FDA approval before election day. Instead of drawing conclusions based on what has been done in previous epidemics and vaccines that are completely different than this, look at the facts of THIS pandemic. Again, you are free to believe in whatever delusion you desire, you seem to have an affinity for delusions in multiple threads about COVID. But the president needs to shut up if he cannot keep himself from broadcasting these same delusions.

Are these the same "experts" who told us 18-24 months minimum? Show me where even one of these experts siad six months ago that it would be a race to get approved by end of the year. My prediction of a vaccine by end of the year was also called a delusion. We'll see.

Old 08-11-2020, 01:54 PM

4,178 posts, read 2,645,511 times
Quote:
Conspiracy theorists are rather foolish. Flat Earthers and these Covid antiVaxers are particularly foolish. Some Flat Earthers claim that the government wants us to think the world is flat so we keep the economy going. One point has little to do with others. AntiVaxers claim that Covid will lead to other vaccones being mandated which in many areas they are. To work in schools like I do, I need to be vaccinated while children don't.
I think labeling people who are questioning the rushed vaccines should not be labeled as conspiracy theorists and flat earthers. There are many people who are pro-vaccine (like myself) who question the safety of this vaccine and how rushed it is. Most vaccines usually take at least 5 years to develop. It seems like it's a rush to get it completed to beat other countries, but we are all the ones who they are trying to get to take this. Most of the population are genrally healthy and may not even need this, so it isn't much of a conspiracy to question it.

I have a job that doesn't require vaccinations and I never really get the yearly flu shots. But it is a legitimate question if my job makes me take this, will I take it or not? I take my health seriously so I don't want to take a risk with my health to be a guinea pig for a rushed vaccine.

I seriously wish people would stop labeling folks who question it as flat earthers. It's disingenuous.

Old 08-11-2020, 02:01 PM

16,909 posts, read 10,578,652 times
Let’s see if Russia’s works. We could borrow that if it does. That way people can go to the polls and we need not risk fraud through mail in votes from the cemeteries.
Moderators for US and World Forums

Old 08-11-2020, 02:04 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,857,675 times
There is no way it will be "available" by election time. If everything continues to run on track, it may be close to receiving FDA "approval" around that time (although December seems to be more likely). But after approval, it will still logistically take a good while to roll out (even though vaccine production has already started). It is unlikely that a vaccine will be "available" before the end of this year and likely not until early next year.

Old 08-11-2020, 02:08 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,857,675 times
Quote:
Conspiracy theorists are rather foolish. Flat Earthers and these Covid antiVaxers are particularly foolish. Some Flat Earthers claim that the government wants us to think the world is flat so we keep the economy going. One point has little to do with others. AntiVaxers claim that Covid will lead to other vaccones being mandated which in many areas they are. To work in schools like I do, I need to be vaccinated while children don't.
I don't believe many of the anti-vaxers. I think they are playing tough, but are really afraid and will be first in line to get vaccinated. If not, let them risk not getting vaccinated. I will feel much more comfortable being vaccinated. If they want to risk not being vaccinated, then let them at their own risk..... There are some people in ICUs on ventilators and those who have unfortunately passed who thought COVID was a hoax......

Old 08-11-2020, 02:08 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,467,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellopity View Post
TRUMP, asked if a vaccine for COVID-19 could become available before the election: “I think in some cases, yes possible before, but right around that time. ...I’m rushing it. I am. I’m pushing everybody.” — interview Thursday on the Geraldo Rivera radio program.

I’m not sure how a vaccine will be available before Nov 3rd no matter how hard he pushed. If Moderna finishes its phase 3 enrollment by mid to end of September, the people in the double-blinded, placebo-controlled trial will still need their second shot 28 days after their initial dose, followed by a period of observation to evaluate the efficacy of the vaccine with respect to pre-specified outcome measures. I don’t have the education or expertise to know the timeline, but common sense tells me we are looking at first half of 2021 at the earliest, assuming enrollment goes without a hitch.

How can any reasonable person with an ounce of common sense believe what Trump said? His hardcore supporters listen to him, believe him, and he is behaving with utter disregard for public health and safety. If Trump cannot stop lying about COVID and spreading misinformation, he needs to just shut up.
election day is 2.5 months away..it certainly is possible...Russia already has the first registered possible vaccination..and there are dozens that are ready for ph3

that said, its also possible that there will never be a true vaccination (cure) and that the closest thing we will have is similar to a flu short, where it is not a cure/100% preventative but something that can lower the risk of getting it and lower the consequences of getting it

at least trumpo is being an optimist rather than a typical liberal pessimist

Old 08-11-2020, 02:10 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,594,936 times
The same dude who called this virus a Democratic hoax and that the virus would go away soon. He really wants to push this idea that a vaccine can be created overnight. I do not believe anything he says regarding COVID, he is a joke and so are his followers. At the same time it is hard to feel bad for this country, they knew exactly they were getting when they elected him!!

Old 08-11-2020, 02:11 PM

3,306 posts, read 1,345,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
election day is 2.5 months away..it certainly is possible...Russia already has the first registered possible vaccination..and there are dozens that are ready for ph3

that said, its also possible that there will never be a true vaccination (cure) and that the closest thing we will have is similar to a flu short, where it is not a cure/100% preventative but something that can lower the risk of getting it and lower the consequences of getting it

The currently leading candidates will not even be able to submit data for review, let alone analyzed data, for the initial FDA application by Nov 3. That is the reality set by the study design.

Old 08-11-2020, 02:13 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,085,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post

I'd rather Trump just be an honest realist and not spew lies like "it'll gone by April like a miracle". Some people believe that crap and then don't take the proper precautions. Then people die.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies