Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2020, 09:27 PM

32,068 posts, read 15,040,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_N_1962 View Post
you confuse complacency with the reality that there may not be an easy solution for this. did you know it took 4 years to develop a mumps vaccine? there are lots of resources being poured into a solution for this but the reality is the whole world cant sit in our basements for years waiting around for a solution. That is a lack of leadership.
I agree. We have no leadership is this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2020, 09:56 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,012,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I won't take a risk, I will cut mine off...
do it yourself sex change??

Old 08-14-2020, 08:00 AM

493 posts, read 514,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbottkd71 View Post
As a middle-aged person with a chronic disease (just the genetic luck of the draw) that increases my risk of severe disease, I’ll thank you not to devalue my life. I’ll still be standing when the danger has passed or I’ll go down fighting, and I’m financially and emotionally prepared to do it. I have no intention of succumbing to SARS-CoV-2, and if that means I have to wear a ****ing mask and avoid large crowds for the rest of my life, so be it. I have a lot of living left to do, and I remain positive, hopeful, and determined. You can take your genetic superiority trope and shove it where the sun doesn’t shine.
People who have chronic diseases (e.g. asthma) are genetically inferior. They’d be among the ones taken by the predators. I’m sorry that I have to say something that might potentially offend sensitive souls, but it’s true. If it weren’t for modern medicine you probably wouldn’t be alive right now. Without it you would have probably already succumbed. If you are so at risk then you should stay the **** home and let the rest of us LIVE again.

Old 08-14-2020, 08:15 AM

1,154 posts, read 366,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmexman View Post
People who have chronic diseases (e.g. asthma) are genetically inferior. They’d be among the ones taken by the predators. I’m sorry that I have to say something that might potentially offend sensitive souls, but it’s true. If it weren’t for modern medicine you probably wouldn’t be alive right now. Without it you would have probably already succumbed. If you are so at risk then you should stay the **** home and let the rest of us LIVE again.
I am staying the **** home, but you’ve brought up an interesting point, so let’s follow your argument through to its conclusion. Even one hundred years ago, you’re absolutely right that I likely would have succumbed, but in addition to my health condition, I am intelligent, resourceful, talented, and hard-working, all traits that I put good use over the last thirty years accumulating the generous financial resources that allow me to pay for the medical treatments necessary to keep me in otherwise excellent health, which means I’m certainly not on the losing side of this ridiculous genetic superiority game you’ve started. I’ll still be around when this is all over, if only because I have the option of isolating long term. Do you?

Last edited by abbottkd71; 08-14-2020 at 09:39 AM..

Old 08-14-2020, 10:21 AM

493 posts, read 514,496 times
Quote:
I am staying the **** home, but you’ve brought up an interesting point, so let’s follow your argument through to its conclusion. Even one hundred years ago, you’re absolutely right that I likely would have succumbed, but in addition to my health condition, I am intelligent, resourceful, talented, and hard-working, all traits that I put good use over the last thirty years accumulating the generous financial resources that allow me to pay for the medical treatments necessary to keep me in otherwise excellent health, which means I’m certainly not on the losing side of this ridiculous genetic superiority game you’ve started. I’ll still be around when this is all over, if only because I have the option of isolating long term. Do you?
It’s no game. It’s science.

Old 08-14-2020, 10:40 AM

Quote:
I’m just saying that the winners in all this will be the ones who have the resources to survive. Those resources could be resilience to infection due to youth, but they may also be the financial capacity to isolate and avoid infection. Nobody in this house has to leave to earn an income, and we have enough money stashed to keep ourselves going for a long time even in the absence of an income. Don’t be so quick to dismiss those who have underlying health conditions. Their ability to mitigate risk by laying low until a vaccine is ready is just as valuable as your supposed genetic superiority. Furthermore, you’ll likely need us to help restore the economy when this is all over.

Last edited by abbottkd71; 08-14-2020 at 10:55 AM..

Old 08-14-2020, 10:51 AM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Science says on average that you could carry two (or more) recessive genes that might cause severe genetic disorders or prenatal death when two copies of the same mutation are inherited.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0408100522.htm

Does that mean you are genetically defective?

Old 08-14-2020, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Science says on average that you could carry two (or more) recessive genes that might cause severe genetic disorders or prenatal death when two copies of the same mutation are inherited.

[url]https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/04/150408100522.htm[/url]

Does that mean you are genetically defective?
Suzy, are you familiar with the movie Steel Magnolias? Do you remember the scene with Kathy Bates in the parking lot? It keeps flashing through my head as I read this thread.

Old 08-14-2020, 11:15 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times
Quote:
...We need to prepare to sacrifice some lives.
Let the olds die.
Sacrifice the weak and diseased for the good of humanity.
Philipp Bouhler, is that you? You're right Aktion T4 wasn't that bad, eh?

I hope you're simply trolling, for your own sake.

Old 08-14-2020, 11:52 AM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Suzy, are you familiar with the movie Steel Magnolias? Do you remember the scene with Kathy Bates in the parking lot? It keeps flashing through my head as I read this thread.
I think it was in Fried Green Tomatoes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies