Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2020, 08:20 AM

4,023 posts, read 1,443,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
She is wrong.

There is no white privilege. I see how the low wage guys in the shop at my first job live and are treated by LE.

There IS a black Disprivilege. (Unprivilege? Antiprivilege?) I have black friends and work mates. Most (all?) have been pulled over for DWB. Never heard of it happening to Chinese...
I think it is more about economic status, where you live, and the activity you engage in more than ethnicity. I live around several solidly middle class blacks and they have no issue with police. Like you, I also saw lower income whites (and blacks) in the shop and they were more likely to drink and drive, drive cars without exhaust system and broken lights, loud music and then wonder why they were pulled over. What was most alarming was their defense of drunk driving! Everyone does it they would say. Really? No not everyone does it! Get out of your little box!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2020, 08:26 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertwrench View Post
I think it is more about economic status, where you live, and the activity you engage in more than ethnicity. I live around several solidly middle class blacks and they have no issue with police. Like you, I also saw lower income whites (and blacks) in the shop and they were more likely to drink and drive, drive cars without exhaust system and broken lights, loud music and then wonder why they were pulled over. What was most alarming was their defense of drunk driving! Everyone does it they would say. Really? No not everyone does it! Get out of your little box!
I agree with you. It's a class issue and the culture of poverty.

Old 08-12-2020, 08:39 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,258,889 times
Oh Oprah, shut up.

Yup, no black privilege out there. Drew Brees literally almost lost endorsements unless he apologized for saying he wasn't comfortable kneeling for the flag. I believe many tried to "cancel" him and have the Saints cut ties with him. Never mind the fact he stated he felt bad because his grandfather, who is he close with, served in the military.

DeSean Jackson openly quotes Hitler and it's crickets. Nothing from anyone. No fear of losing his job, just the reply that if you're white and disagree with him, you're racist and "not letting a black man have an opinion".

Sure, there is some white privilege out there, but people need to stop pretending black people have no privilege these days either.

What I always find odd is that it's people who have benefited so much from this country that have the biggest issues with it. Oprah is a billionaire and is successful. Professional athletes play a kids game for a king's ransom. But somehow they are the most oppressed?

Old 08-12-2020, 09:06 AM

8,337 posts, read 2,966,443 times
Deez rich black folks I tell ya. Day da ones do most of da cryin on about how bad da white folks is. Guess in America all dis racism makes blacks folks rich.

Old 08-12-2020, 09:28 AM

22,661 posts, read 24,605,343 times
Just a bunch of claptrap..........look at Oprah, jumping on the trendywagon.

Some people cruise through life with ease, success coming to them in droves without much effort. Others, drudgery and more drudgery to make a little progress. Race has nothing to do with this dynamic, it is just the law of life, unequal and unfair.

Old 08-12-2020, 10:27 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,304,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkhmini View Post
Oh. Puh. Lease.
Let me get this straight, a black Billionaire, and a black Millionaire (who's black husband is a two-term former President) are depressed about my white privilege (even though I only made $30,000 my last year {33 yrs}).

I am so sorry, I am willing to trade though.

Last edited by buddy5; 08-12-2020 at 10:29 AM.. Reason: I am just wrecked with tremendous white guilt. I am depressed.

Old 08-12-2020, 10:38 AM

17,798 posts, read 13,698,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
She is wrong.

There is no white privilege. I see how the low wage guys in the shop at my first job live and are treated by LE.

There IS a black Disprivilege. (Unprivilege? Antiprivilege?) I have black friends and work mates. Most (all?) have been pulled over for DWB. Never heard of it happening to Chinese...
Yeah, I have to admit. Poor white redneck type guys don't have any type of privilege. Unless it's compared to poor black gangsta type guys. And that's because the gangsta type guys like gangstering more than working. Poor white guys aren't real good at gangsta. They do pretty well with meth, pool and shooting each other, but not good at gangsta.

And outside of poor people money and prestige bring more privilege than skin color. There just aren't as many black people with the money and prestige.

But the "driving while black" thing does happen. Seen it for real.

Old 08-12-2020, 11:00 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
What's the end game of this theology?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertwrench View Post
Great question! They never do say. Oprah has been very successful and does some good around the world and is probably a good role model, but on this she is out of line. Does she not realize that much of her audience and why she has been so successful is because of a white audience? I guess all of them were racists?
There never seems to be a specific answer. There never seems to be a specific problem to fix. Everything is vague... and nothing gets fixed - because there is no specific problem to fix.

Actually - I take that back - there is one specific problem that can be fixed, and that's the police problem. The problem is people being shot who are unarmed (even though statistically it's a very small problem). The solution is better accountability. The Marxist anti-American solution is to defund and disband the cops - but that solution has resulted in more murders, and the people actually want the police - so it's really not a solution.

I just think in our discussions, we need to be very specific and targeted and not vague. Pin people down on what they want and if the solution is reasonable, then make some concessions and change.

Going on and on about Oprah does nothing.

Old 08-12-2020, 11:04 AM

31,052 posts, read 22,086,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Oprah is a self hating black.
Probably happens when you are raped by the men in your family. PTSD is real

Old 08-12-2020, 11:26 AM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,397,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
This is just incredibly disturbing.

Why just whites can't live among their own race? And "culture" in the US is found among recent immigrants, or related to geographical location for the most part.

This absolute obsession with race and blaming and shaming whites for everything has gotten out of hand.
If anything, other cultures should be studying whites to see how they can improve themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies